“Okay, but not great”

Courtyard Dulles Airport Chantilly
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Very neat and clean hotel. The lobby looks good and the staff are very helpful. Rooms are clean and well-appointed, exactly what you expect from Marriott. Fitness center is good, and despite what some other reviews say there are quite a number of places to eat nearby (though probably farther than most people would care to walk).

On the downside, my room was cramped--far too much furniture, making it difficult to move around. There's no hotel restaurant, just a Starbucks that serves some light meals; a real breakfast would have been welcome. Like most Courtyards, the heating/AC unit is in the wall and is much noisier than a central AC system.

The price is okay, but not an overwhelming bargain (market rate for this area, I guess, but this area is ridiculously expensive, in my judgment).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed September 27, 2011

I've stayed at this Marriott several times.

Pros: Close to Dulles Airport (across the street more or less), relatively less expensive then down town, within 10 - 15 minutes of Reston Town Center. In room coffee pot, refrigerator available for a fee.

Cons: No restaurants within walking area, you could take thehotel oshuttle and eat at the airport which is probably less expensive and certainly larger selection than what you will be offered at the hotel. The restaurant is open for breakfast and lunch, limited and very overpriced. The restaurant closes for dinner, so the only options available for meals are either eat the only lobby/bar area (same menu) or room service. Food selection is quite limited. My $14 pizza with $2 extra for pepperoni $16 total) arrived 45 minutes after ordering (room service clearly states give them 30 - 40 minutes) except the pizza arrived minus the pepperoni, but I was so starved I ate it any way. Bottled water was the small bottle, but big fee. Only free wifi available is in the lobby/bar area, not the room.

So why do I stay here? Its cheaper than downtown. I take the hotel shuttle to ground transportation, then the 5A to L'Enfant Plaza, about 1.5 - 2 hr bus ride. I bring my own data card, so I don't have to hang out at the bar.

Not a bad place, but missing most conveniences travelers expect these days.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I decided to seek shelter from the oncoming storm at a comfy and very welcoming place - and that is when I came upon the Courtyard by Marriott Washington Dulles Airport.
From the moment I checked in it was pure relaxation time and everyone there was like a new friend! I have traveled a lot, being a retired military brat, and this is one of the nicest places I ever have stayed. The storm raged around the area - but I was warm and very cozy in my wonderful and HUGE bed! The chicken wings wow they are amazing!! And the free computer service in the lobby let me tell my family that I was safe.

Room Tip: ask for a garden room on the second level. and if you do laundry at the hotel - make sure you chec...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I've done a lot of traveling to the Chantilly area recently and this has become THE hotel for me. The rooms are clean, offer a balcony, free wi-fi, and are comfortable. There are a pool and hot tub available, with a lifeguard on duty if you have little ones. The staff has been professional and courteous, addressing all my questions and even comping my breakfast the one time I had a minor issue. The hotel is located within walking distance to some great restaurants (Dave's Seafood and Subs!). On top of that, the single best thing about this hotel is definitely the Courtyard. There are couches and chairs for lounging, tables and chairs if you want to get some work done, and a beautiful garden. I recommend this hotel for business travelers and families, as both will be satisfied with the amenities.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed here for a one night Friday getaway and got a great rate ($55!). Our 3rd floor room was a little on the small side but it did have a balcony. The in-room internet connection worked great. The bed was comfortable. The cleaning crew may want to remember to clean behind the bathroom door (I found a few dustbunnies). There are plenty of dining options nearby (Mexican, Asian, usual fast food places). We didn’t dine in the hotel so I can’t report on that. Being on the flight path to Dulles Airport I can’t say we heard any airplane noise. I would stay here again if I can get the low weekend rate.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My room was only $55 which was a great rate. Everything was first class in the beautiful hotel with great service. The place was quiet, clean and peaceful. Even the doors had door closers so the doors didn't slam. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Workout room had no towels and overflowing basket of dirty towels

Breakfast people forgot my order and found out after long wait

Lots of hotels in this area. Avoid this one

• Stayed: June 2011