“Great place to shoot” 5 of 5 stars

175 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Great place to shoot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This park has an amazing area for Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand, Sporting clays and Wobble trap. If you like to shoot or even if you never have this is a great spot. They have a beginner orientation that is low priced. The sporting clays is well laid out and fun.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank majiksea

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great alternative to a hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

My cousins just rented a cabin for an impromptu trip to the DC area. The cabins are small but have ac, fridge, front porch swing and fire area. No bathrooms in the cabins but there are showers and restrooms close by. For the weekend I believe it was @ $160. They really loved it. There is a water park there. The park is huge and great for walking and jogging. It is about a 30 min ride to the metro.

Visited July 2013
279 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 193 helpful votes
“Great for gatherings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The park is large and there are plenty of shelters for group picnics and outings. There are two good playgrounds for the younger set. The campsites are laid out nicely so you can find the one you need easily. Plenty of good walking areas and trails and the bluebell display in the spring is really beautiful. The drive-through light show during the holidays is nice, but since they switched to LED lights a few years ago, I don't think there are nearly as many displays as at other drive-through light shows. I know it's expensive to add new displays, so they will continue to build it up slowly, but right now, it's not the best drive-through.

Visited June 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Seems like a great place for family get togethers. I like the Nature aspect.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Years ago, this was an area where we took our little girl for some outdoor activities. It started to get very crowded, especially on the weekends. There are plenty of trails, open grass fields, picnic areas, a waterpark, camping area, and a frisbee "golf" course. There is a small entry fee for non local residents outside Fairfax and Prince William Counties, and the waterpark has a fee. I assume that there is food available at the camp grounds and at the waterpark, but not otherwise. There are restrooms around the park.

On the weekends, I would imagine you need to get there early to stakeout your picnic area. Any time we went was usually during the week so that we could miss the crowded weekends. This is especially if you are like me, and your objective is to photograph wildlife. There are owls in the area around the trails that run toward Bull Run Creek from the waterpark parking area. There are a couple of loops there consisting of a bit of wooden bridgework trails and dirt trails. I've not been fortunate enough to get photos, but it seems that every time I've walked there, I've encountered someone who has seen them that day.

Overall, as far as nature, trails and photo ops are concerned, I would rate this park as average to just below average. If you are going for the waterpark, picnic grounds, soccer fields and large family outings, this is probably worth a higher rating. I'd say a 2.5 on a 5 point scale for me.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Tom S
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Great Hidden Treasure!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at this CG for 4 days. Full services [water, electricity & sewage], pull-thru large site with a firepit and built in BBQ. We are a family of 6, kids ages (2-11)
Beautiful trees, very clean, friendly staff, playground, pool and Atlantis waterpark which is half price for campers. Stayed in an RV motorhome and felt very safe with full-time Ranger on site.
About 45 minutes from Washington DC. Lots of restaurants and local shopping in Centreville town nearby. We would definitely camp here again!! A friendly family atmosphere.

Visited July 2013