“I hope Kellys can improve ; They have so much potential.”

Kelly's Gingernut Pub
Ranked #5 of 30 Restaurants in Cape Charles
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I hate to complain , especially about Kelly's ,so consider this " feed back." The king needs to be told.
My wife and I went there last night : She had the meat loaf which was very good ; I had the fish and chips which was horrible. The service was as good as it gets.

Fish and chips is the most basic dish for an Irish pub . You need to get that right before you move on the hamburgers. The last time we were there the F&C was very good- a big piece of halibut fried right. Last night the fish was a tasteless ,oil-soaked , blob.
And OBTW : Our expectation at any pub is Bar Food. We do not expect fancy.

1  Thank Workrelease

Reviewed August 24, 2010

Been there about 1/2 dozen times and was impressed with the beer selection. As far as the food goes, the penne pasta was good. The artichoke and spinage dip was bland and served with an assortment of stale crackers. The portebella mushroom was served with copious amounts of goat cheese and balsamic reduction to cover the miniscule amount of mushroom. If you hate goat cheese, it was awful and very tart, the menu never mentioned the fact that it would have it. The "salad to Die for" would have been very good if only a chicken had died for it. The lack of a decent amount of chicken breast left a lot to be desired. Calamari was awful, the coating would fall off and was greasy. The fish and chips was right from the freezer. I am going to be hard pressed to go back there again, unless it is for a bloody mary which was exceptional.

1  Thank meangene64
Reviewed August 24, 2010

The first night my wife got the crab cakes and said they were delicious, but the sides (potatoes and veggies were overcooked and bland. I got a cheeseburger and it was good. We sat in "the vault" because the building is an old bank. My wife said the Jack and Coke she had was weak. We tried to go to Aqua one night but the sprinkler system malfunctioned and was closed so we went to Kelly's and the place was packed. My wife got the Penne Norfolk (Shrimp and garlic cream sauce). There was so much UNCOOKED garlic in it it even affected the people sitting next to us. Also, she said the shrimp had a chemical taste to it. I had a special Salmon dish that had a strawberry glaze on it that was OK although they covered the entire plate in it, including the pottaoes and veggies. They just don't have it all together at this place. Only reason for 3 and not 2 stars is the crab cakes on the first night

1  Thank wshadow72
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Not a lot to choose from in Cape Charles, so we were disappointed that food was average at best. Seated at a very small four-top near the noisy bar on a night when restaurant wasn't crowded. Was expecting a better dining experience based on other reviews. How can "cheddar & garlic mashed potatoes" have no taste?

Reviewed July 11, 2010

I was completely surprised to find such great food in a small beach town. The menu has something for everyone but also things you are not likely to find anywhere else as the chef here is very creative. The cream of crab soup was among the best I have ever had, and the Jerk Amish Chicken (an evening special) was amazing! Everyone in our party of 8 loved the food.

The service was friendly, attentive and accommodating to all of our groups quirky requests. Normally this would just refer to the waitstaff, but here I am including the hostess and hosts, the bartenders while we waited for our table, the waitstaff, and even the Chef and Sous Chef checked in on us.

The atmosphere was also exceptional. We were there on a Saturday night and they had a live band. The crowd was 60% 35 and under but people of all ages were having fun. We didn't want to leave but if we are ever back in Cape Charles we will be back to the Pub!