“Needs renovations but the food is good!”

Sting-Ray's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 31 Restaurants in Cape Charles
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We were not sure to stop due to bad reviews on Tripadvisor. Yes the place needs renovations (new paint on the walls, new floor, tables and chairs), it old and not very welcoming at first. But don't let that get to you. We've ordered fried oysters, crab cakes and marinated grill shrimps. The fried oysters were very good, tender and melting in our mouths, all the other plates were good. When we were getting out of the restaurant area around 6:30 - 7:00, there was a line-up of people waiting to take seats to eat. For me that's usually a good sign that food is good.

3  Thank EchosdeVal

Reviewed July 26, 2011

After seeing so many reviews of this hole in the wall, we decided to stop and were we sorry! Besides not being very clean, the food (which is almost all deep fried) was tasteless. The service was quick enough, but the waitstaff was basically unfriendly. It was not terribly busy so they weren't overworked. There are much better places before you get to Sting-Ray's.

2  Thank Carolyn F
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Must stop when traveling to and from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Superior seafood plate with local fresh oysters, shrimp, scallops, and catfish. Owner greeted us onsite. Don't be turned off by the location or atmosphere. Food here is superior to most anything we found on Virginia Beach.

4  Thank Robert C
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We use to rent a house in the fall at the Outer Banks and always stopped here for lunch on the way down. Havent gone to NC for a few years now, switched to Mexico. I have withdrawl. We loved stopping here. I always got their clam chowder which is different than the standard white or red. It has a clear broth with bacon, clams, etc. Sooo good. We also would get fish or crab or chicken. Whatever hit us at the time. They also had great desserts. I have actually thought of driving down one day on the prestense of checking out the campgrounds my mother use to go to near there, Cherrystone I think and going down to Sting Rays. It sounds crazzy but we miss the place.

3  Thank astontravellor
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband and I stopped by this restaurant after a recommendation for a friend. We had high expectations, but the food did not meet up with them. We both had the stuffed soft shell crab. Both of are crabs were burnt and it did not do much for the flavor. The food was served hot and the corn bread was delicious. We asked for coctail sauce and tartar sauce for our meal,but were told to taste it first and then let the waitress know if we still needed it. I would have preferred to have the sauces when I asked for them and not use them if I didn't need them, then to be told to taste it first. The waitress appeared friendly and asked us questions about our meal, but she never waited for our reply. The price was o.k. for the food. There were other restaurants in the area that had far better food for better prices and with better help. I do realize you order and then they bring it to you, but the restaurant was not that busy when we were there and we would have loved to have some reply conversation with the server.