“Great food - slow service”
Review of The Shanty

The Shanty
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Cape Charles
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Shanty is the Eastern Shores premier destination for waterfront dining. Offering the freshest local seafood and produce on a daily basis, Spring, Summer and Fall. Take in a beautiful sunset over the Chesapeake Bay while enjoying delicious homemade crab cakes, Caribbean style tacos, or the daily fresh catch special with an ice cold draft. Full bar, live entertainment, harbor front outdoor seating, available dock space and creative daily specials made for and by people who are truly passionate about food and excellent service!
Richmond, Virginia
“Great food - slow service”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We ordered the seafood pasta and steak with creamed potatoes and cream sauce. The food was excellently seasoned, large portions, and the steak was cooked perfectly; the atmosphere was lovely - sat outside and watched the sun set over the water. However, the service was terribly slow, so don't go there if you're in a hurry. I don't blame our waitress, she was doing all she could and was also the hostess. We had to ask twice for refills on our drinks, waited about an hour on our food, and ended up hunting someone down to get our check so we could leave! All the tables around us had similar experiences with the service. If the food and atmosphere weren't so good, I would not rate this place as high.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank getatent

• Hebrew first
Midlothian, Virginia
“The Shanty is one of my favorite places to go to in Cape Charles. It's rustic and modern all rolled into one.”
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

The Shanty is the Cheers of Cape Charles. A great place to go to catch up with old friends or meet new ones. The atmosphere is always fun and lively, and the food is out of this world. Try the shrimp tacos and the clam chowder, they are family favorites. Sunsets over the bay are the best. Summer evenings can be crowded, but you'll still leave having had a great meal and probably having met several new friends!

• Visited September 2013
Southern Shores, North Carolina
“Very good”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Had a great lunch; nice view and just excellent, basic food. We almost went back for supper the next night but wanted to try a more upscale place - wish we hadn't as Shanty food was better.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank fallschurchva22046
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Good Food”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Ate lunch twice there recently. Excellent New England Clam Chowder, fantastic oysters, great crab cake sandwich. Good selection of beers. Not fancy but on the water and good service. If I am ever back in the area again I would definitely go back there.

• Visited August 2013
Gainesville, Georgia
“Expected Better on the Bay”
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Asked a local where to get the bet seafood and he directed me to the Shanty. A little hard to get to, but find the marina. Walked in to a hostess crouched under the hostess stand and remained unnoticed until, I assume the manager, walked over from the bar and seated me. Quickly asked for my drink choice and I asked what was their specialty. Don't think I was ever really given an answer but she said the soft shell crab sandwich was good. She also told me they were out of jimmies which I assume would affect availability of several menu items. I did learn jimmies is another word for crabs. Menu had some nice looking appetizers, a respectable number of sandwiches with about half being seafood but only 4 entrees. Sorry, but I don't consider Mac and Cheese an entree, even at $21.99 with a little chicken and shrimp. Surprised there was no crab soup and opted for the New England Clam Chowder. Also ordered the fish and chips, expecting several small pieces of fried haddock. Yes, haddock, that was the catch of the day, no other choices and the menu stated the dreaded "market price". The chowder was fantastic, a little different than the normal with a little spice and cheese. Looking around I noticed the specials faintly written on a board across the room. (I wish I had been told about these by the staff.) Received my fish and chip basket to find one huge piece of haddock on top of french fries. Had to ask or a napkin and I figured I did not need any eating utensils since they were not offered to me anyway. The fish was okay, fresh, but not very seasoned at all (menu stated breading was seasoned flour). I had to interrupt the waitress from her texting session to ask for the malt vinegar I spotted across the bar. Another interruption for a refill of iced tea. Not too much to ask since I was the only one at the bar eating. Received the check, $24 a little steep in my opinion for soup, fish and chips and a tea. The restaurant has potential, maybe I just hit it on a slow night, being the Tuesday after Labor Day. May try it one more time on another trip to the Eastern Shore. I would like to try their seafood platter or steamed bucket, but I am little scared of the market price.

Visited September 2013