Cherrystone Family Camping Resort
Shore Stay Suites(Cape Charles)(Great Value!)
$106
$93
Sunset Beach Hotel & Beach Club(Cape Charles)(Great Value!)
$99
Fig Street Inn(Cape Charles)(Great Value!)
$60
$51
Hotels.com
$107
$98
$119
$68
TripAdvisor
All reviewspaddle boatsgeneral storemini golfbait shopclamsfarm standcamp groundcamp storekids and adultsadult pooltackle shopgreat campgroundwater frontmemorial day weekendtrick or treatingcampground offershalloween weekends
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family stayed at Cherrystone last week (July 21-28). I don't know how there are bad reviews on here - it was a wonderful place to stay. We rented one of their "rustic" cabins and therefore utilized the bath houses. They were clean and stocked, but they are public restrooms - there's no way to keep them spotless all day. The showers worked fine and they were mostly clean - I don't know what people expect...it's a campground, not a five star hotel. My husband used to vacation here when he was a kid, but it was my first time there. It was very, very hot the first part of the week. The pools were great for cooling off. With four pools of varying sizes and the kids splash areas, there was room for everyone. They have many other fun things for the kids - mini golf, paddle boats, daily crafts - all FREE. They even had a live band on Saturday night! The piers were perfect for fishing and crabbing. My kids caught so many crabs that they think they are now experts. My husband caught sting rays, skates and sharks from the piers. The view is amazing too! If you need a break from cooking on the fire/grill, their on-site restaurant is right there. The prices are very reasonable and they even offer deliverly to your camp site. The one thing I would recommend is to bring your bikes. We rode everywhere around the campground. We can't wait to go back next year.

1  Thank Amanda D
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I requested to ride threw the campground to check it out and they wanted to charge me 20 dollars for 30 minutes to ride threw oh please really!! Won't be going there, if in the area go to kiptopeke state park a lot cheaper and nice has fishing and crabbin also.

Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank dodeb1153
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We decided to do a family camping trip to Cherrystone this past week on the advice of friends. Before we left I checked out the reviews here on Tripadvisor, and after reading them, I should have trusted my gut. This place was horrible.

Originally we were going to tent for the week, but after I saw the pictures of the flooding, I forced my husband to change the reservation to a cabin. We arrived and checked into our "rustic cabin" to find the place stifling and dirty. The screens missing from the windows, and because we backed up to a drainage ditch, you couldn't just open them or you would have had a cabin full of mosquitos. There was something sticky all of the floor and the ceiling fan was barely working. I was afraid to leave it on because it looked like it might fall down at any moment. We called the office and sat on hold for 15 minutes waiting for someone to pick up. Finally JoJo answered (she was the only bright spot in the hole situation/week) and I decided to see if she could move us to a cabin with air conditioning as I was in no mood by that time to deal getting stuck in another cabin that backed up to the cesspool . JoJo was able to get us moved thankfully, which was a definite improvement, and we went about our evening of getting settled.

The next morning we all headed to the pool, looking forward to the lazy "river". It should be called the lazy donut...nothing more than a small circle that didn't have enough circulation to move a fly. The "splash pad" area of the pool looked to have mold growing on the floor and I refused to let my daughter play there. They do not have bathrooms right at the pool, so you have to leave the area to use the facilities, which judging by the water, people were not. By the our 3rd visit there, the water was cloudy and dirty and at one point there were hunks of hair floating. Needless to say, we gave up.

The bathhouses are filthy!!!! I don't care that they close them for an hour and a half for cleaning, there is not enough time in the world. They need to take a match to it and start over. Mold growing on the walls, no water pressure, shower heads that are falling off, shower curtains ripped and falling off. Thank God my father in law had a trailer and we could shower there or we would have been out of luck.

At one point the entire park lost water, and NO ONE had a clue as to when it would be fixed. One person would tell you 30 minutes, another would tell you they had no idea. Once they did manage to get it fixed hours later, there was a warning that the water needed to be boiled due to a bacteria that was in it. I only found this out by overhearing a conversation. We never received notice from the park!!!! Thankfully no one got ill from this.

I can also say without question that staying in a cabin was a good call. It rained two of the nights we were there and the place flooded. There was 3 or 4 inches of water covering my in laws site as well as many others.

Long story short, we will never, ever be back again. There were 6 other families with us, and they are in agreement too, NOT going back!!!!!!!

6  Thank smittey73
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have been visiting Cherrystone since the mid-1980s when our daughters were young. Now grown, this is still one of their favorite places to visit. Water access - whether pool, boat, or kayak - is readily available. My family really enjoys the Miss Jennifer, the fishing boat, docked at the resort. Whether you want to stay in a tent, RV, or one of cabins, this is a great place for the family!

2  Thank BJO_23
James834, Manager at Cherrystone Family Camping Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your review of Cherrystone Family Camping Resort. We are happy you have been camping with us for so long. Waterfront activities, fishing, crabbing, and the Mrs. Jennifer have long been attractions of Cherrystone. We do try to offer something for everyone regardless of what type of camping equipment used. We look forward to many more visits by you and your family. Happy Camping!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend and were just wowed by all this campground has to offer.We stayed on the backside, away from the bay, and pretty much had 20 or 30 campsites to ourselves. the campsite is clean, well-run, active, and fun. Cape Charles public beach is near by as is a state park, both of which we visited as well. We have already reserved a spot for next year, this time staying twice as long! Great, great family vacation.

Room Tip: Stay on the bayside if you like being in the action; stay on the other side under the loblolly pines if you prefer quiet.
1  Thank GordonsvilleGal

Thank you for your review of Cherrystone Family Camping Resort. We do try to offer as much as we can for our camping guests, pools, planned activities, mini golf, arcade, playgrounds just to name a few. We are glad to hear you had a wonderful time while you were here and we hope to see you again soon. Happy Camping!