“You won't see your kids till bedtime!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Charles
Cherrystone Family Camping Resort
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My family camps once a year. We usually try to check out different campgrounds but this is by far our favorite. We camp in a group of 20 to 30 (adults and kids). We are not into tents and have been staying in cabins since our miserable tent experience in Lancaster,PA 11 years ago.
Cherrystone is located in Cape Charles, a charming small town. Very nice people. First we rented a trailer but it was a bit cramped for my family of 5. The bathroom was soooooo cramped but we made the best of it. There was plenty of sleeping space but no privacy.
After that, we rented their largest cabin. I think they refer to it as a deluxe cabin. It was perfect! It was not ultra morn but it was perfect for those families who want to camp with conveniences.
The cabin is raised appx. 3 feet off the ground and has a porch with a light and chairs. You are provided a graveled parking spot in front of your side yard which is a good place for kids to play. The doors were sliding glass. When you enter, there is a double sleeper sofa adjacent to a modern tv which sat atop a free standing closet. Next to the tv was bunk beds. I think I remember it being a triple bunk but I could be mistaken. You have a full kitchen with fridge, sink, and small stove with plenty of cupboard space. Now for the best parts! A surprisingly spacious bathroom with a tub and plenty of hot water! A master bedroom with a queen bed, tv, and an actual door! Heat and air conditioning are also provided for your comfort!
The kids always bring their bikes and every kid at this family friendly spot has one! Bikes rule at Cherrystone so cars are required to drive super slow. You can rent bikes as well. There is a small lake with paddle boats and a small water park at the pool to keep kiddies cool. If fishing is your thing, you will love the fact that this campground sits directly on the Chesapeake Bay! There is a good fishing station with supplies to buy or rent. They will take you out for a day of deep sea fishing or you and the kids can rent crab traps and go crabbing off of one of the 5 or so piers right on the property!
The restaurant was great for breakfast and the days that I didn't want to cook and the ice cream cones they sold delighted the little ones. The general store has everything from nuts to bolts and beer and the farm stand is stocked with fresh local fruits and veggies and even sells fresh crabs!
We love it!

1  Thank Susan S
James834, Manager at Cherrystone Family Camping Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for your review of your stay with us, sounds like you had a great time. We do try hard to make the guests happy and it is nice to hear from the guests when we succeed. Thank you for your support and we will make sure the staff knows how much you enjoyed yourself. We look forward to your next stay with us. Happy Camping.

There are newer reviews for Cherrystone Family Camping Resort

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband & I have been with our RV to Cherrystone at least 7 times over the years. Our son has rented a cabin at least 4 times. He, his wife and our 2 granddaughters stayed in our RV this past weekend-Thursday - Sat. nights. It is expensive. We paid our fee plus $60 a day for 3 days for them. We've usually been pleased but two sites near our trailer had a loud, noisy drunken party each of the nights. My son complained 3 times after 11:30PM on Thursday night. The ranger intervened twice. Finally at 3:30 in the morning, it broke up. On Friday, my son complained around 2AM. The ranger intervened then and it broke up. Last night after 2 shrill whistles from the noise makers along with the other noise which the ranger had to hear, he intervened and about 40 mins. later things quieted now. We were told we were the only ones complaining but we weren't. We were told we were to expect a little noise. It was a lot of noise and did not break up until made to and not ever before 2AM. We've never experienced this kind of noise and lack of enforcement of the rules in our over 30 years of camping. For a family campground with a good reputation, this is extremely disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jim34009
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I have been going to Cherrystone since 2000. In the past we owned a camper and camped with our two boys, both now grown. We hadn't been back since 2006 and sold our camper soon after. For our 24th anniversary my husband suggested a trip back however we were not able to rent a cabin or trailer as this is the month for the Spookystone Halloween weekends. So, we tented it. Having not been in a tent since I was a child, I was very apprehensive. We arrived on Monday, set up our campsite right on the bay (site 78). What a beautiful way to spend the week. Waking up every morning to the sound of the tide coming in and enjoying the night next to the fire watching the best sunsets. Just sitting and remembering all the memories of our kids spending two weeks every summer fishing, swimming and making new friends was incredible! The campground has much to offer and everyone is so friendly even other campers. We took advantage of the showers and although they have seen some wear and tear there was nothing as refreshing as a shower before climbing in to the air mattress. The store and bait shop are always fun to visit and the store is all set up for Halloween with displays. Yes, we have been there when there was rain and yes, some sites do flood but remember, your camping! Finally, not sure I will be tenting it again any time soon but we are planning on bringing friends and renting the deluxe cabins.BYW- my husband prepared a beautiful anniversary dinner overlooking the bay as the sun was setting, very romantic.

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the map prior to booking your site. Its better up front instead of in the ba...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sajacob
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were hoping to go during October for the decorations and Halloween fun, but ended up having to go the last weekend of September. We stayed in a cabin. It was one of the cabins with a queen and two sets of bunk beds, nothing else but an air conditioner. The cabin was very nice and perfect for the rainy weekend it turned out to be. The campground is very nice in and of itself.

A couple of things really turned me off from ever coming back. A couple of the attractions were falling apart. The onsite putt-putt course got me excited, but the holes borders were falling off, the cups were sticking out of the surface on a couple of holes, and the obstacles were in shambles. The game room was well stocked, but who has ever heard of 4 out of 4 pool tables and 3 out of 3 skeeball machines being "out of order". Even the Ms. Pacman wasn't working. The play ground had bottle caps in the sand.

The free fishing off of the peirs was a nice benefit. Also the bike rentals were reasonably priced. The paddle boats were fun and I could imagine in summer would be fun to go through the fountain with them. the bathhouse was clean and the water was perfect in the shower. I could imagine during peak seasons that they would get a bit messy in the mornings since they clean once per day for an hour and a half.

Overall, the short mini-vacation was fun and the kids had a blast. But for the state that the amenities were in, it won't be on our list of things to do in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Great campsite for kids of all ages!!!! and adults and pets! Water within 5 minutes walk to take Rover for a swim and no one minds. Trash picked up and made the campsite/property very clean. Swimming pools and splash park was great fot the kids. They even have a water balloon war area next to the pool area thats free!! Fishing/crabbing/clamming was fun. Free paddle boats. They also put on a great fire works for Labor day and that was fun for the kids. Can't say enough good about the amenaties....

EXCEPT! If you have an issue due to inexperience backing a trailer into a campsite...BE FORE WARNED!!! The campsites (that we stayed at and around us) had no stone/gravel/concrete the would designate where your camper goes and the road is so narrow and congested its hard to back into a site. We have a 31' rv and it took me 10 minutes to back it in (I drive tractor trailers and it was a pain for me)! The site are all grass and if it rained, it would be a muddy mess. The campsite to me and my family just seemed very disorganized the way it was layed out. Roads are very narrow. 4 site hook up electric and water to one location so bring extension cord/garden house just in case.

Overall a great time for the kids and thats what is important.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tom H
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We just left from our first trip to Cherrystone. We were a little nervous from reading some of the reviews, but we had such a great time! There is so much to do, and truthfully we didn't get it fit all of it in within the 5 days we were there. The bathrooms were clean, and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The pools was wonderful for the kids. The loved the splash park and water balloon wars. There is a great farm stand with fresh seafood, and the camp store is very well stocked. Our favorite thing to do way crabbing and fishing, and the views are AMAZING! We loved it so much that we already booked for a week next year.

The only thing that didn't give this review a 5 was the flooding from the rain. I know we're camping and there's nothing that can be done about the weather. The kids made it fun and still had a great time riding through the puddles. If the grounds were graded better or there was a better drainage system, the flooding wouldn't be so bad. That being said, as soon as I called about the flooding, we had maintenance out to our site working on the issue.

Can't wait for next year!!

Room Tip: Get a water site!
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I just came back from Cherrystone on my first RV camping trip. I was AMAZED at how huge the lots were. There were SO many things to do!!! We went to the pool area everyday! Fishing, Crabbing, Bicycling, boating... there were so many things to do. Everyone was extremely friendly, It was like a small community. I was so happy about everything. I plan on making this an annual trip and can hardly wait for next summer! I highly recommend this to anyone who is considering a place to stay. Did I mention how amazing the sunsets were? I really can't say enough good things about this place! There was only ONE drawback... the flies. But that is to be expected while camping.

2  Thank QueenCivilized Z
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore
Bay Haven Inn of Cape Charles
Bay Haven Inn of Cape Charles
#1 of 9 in Cape Charles

Been to Cherrystone Family Camping Resort? Share your experiences!