“LOVE!!!”

Shore Stay Suites
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Cape Charles
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We used this hotel for our wedding and it was perfect! They accommodated us on the wedding day and even put our names on the sign by the road! We will definitely be using this hotel again when we visit! Its a little home away from home and we loved it!
Thank!!!

-Chris & Brittany Blake

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shore S, Manager at Shore Stay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Congrats on your wedding.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here June 29, as part of a family visit to see our nieces. We were warmly greeted when checking in to the hotel. We were given a room overlooking the potato fields in back. The room was very large, with a good sized kitchen. Housekeeping does not do the dishes, this was not applicable since we did not use them. The bed was very comfortable and we got some very good rest.

The top porch has chairs outside, so one could sit out and enjoy the air. I spent that evening looking over the fields and sunset.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Tracy and Alice LaCroix, the owners of this excellent facility go over and above the call of duty to make a guest feel very much at home during their stay at their facility. They are a very friendly couple, and very customer centered. I stayed on the nights of June 27 and June 28, 2013. The room was very spacious, and very clean. I had asked for a King Size bed and it was a very large King size bed. The bathroom and bedroom were well appointed and the kitchen area was set up with a full size refrig., Mircowave, and basic supplies. You could easily cook simple meals in the room and live comfortably for an extended stay. I was a leader for a youth groups retreat at Kiptopeeke Campgrounds and can not handle the camping anymore. The LaCroix's accomidated our schedule and had my room ready and available to me on the moment of my early arrival. I had a wonderful stay and would highly recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone staying on the lower end of the Eastern Shore of Virginia. There is a small gift shop in the lobby of the office, and a washer and dryer are available to guests in the break room. the Hotel is dog friendly in selected rooms.

Room Tip: Room 110 has full handicap access including the kitchen and bath.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed July 9th, 2013, left the morning of the 10th. We were pleasantly surprised. The room was large, with a king bed, kitchenette. Though we did not really use the kitchen, it was equipped for 4. . Housekeeping does not do the dishes, I would recommend that the hotel supply dish soap, other than that it was a nice stay. It appeared to have new furnishings, was very clean. We would certainly go back. Management was friendly, and loved their dog.

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs on the end away from the highway. Was very quiet. Appeared to have "nice...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We recently spent three nights at this establishment and could not have been more comfortable. We arrived on Saturday at what I thought was after 3:00 p.m. I called the number left on the door and within 10 minutes the owner was there to check us in. It was only then that I realized we had actually arrived before the check-in time of 3:00. It didn't matter to her and she actually left her lunch to rush over and check us in. Talk about great service.

The room was immaculate. Cleanliness is an absolute must for me and I was not disappointed. Everything from the bedding to the bathrooms was spotless. There was plenty of room for us to move around in without feeling cramped and the kitchen was a big help. I loved having a full fridge to keep drinks and snack in for the kids.

I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel to friends and family. The service and amenities are top notch and at an excellent price. It is a great place to stay if you are visiting the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SunshineStateNative
Shore S, Manager at Shore Stay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for the nice review. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I was starting out on a two week road trip to pick up my sister in Florida. She's moving back to Maryland because of her age and health concerns. My idea was to start things off right by driving from the Washington, DC area to Cape Charles, VA, get a room for the night, and start my real journey by experiencing the sunrise over the Atlantic from the middle of the Chesapeak Bay Bridge-Tunnel.

By the way, in case you decide to do this, get to the second tunnel before the sun starts rising or it will be rising directly behind you! Take the immediate right-hand U-Turn after exiting that tunnel and work your way to the end of the observation area behind the restaurant parking areas. The sun will rise as you face the opposing point of land which is the tunnel entry point that you just went through. Enjoy! Then have a leisurely breakfast at the restaurant while watching the fishermen on the pier. Preferably, you'll do this in the middle of the week or you'll be fighting big crowds on the weekend.

But do NOT choose Shore Stay Suites if you can find a better place in Cape Charles, itself. The Management has recently changed, so I don't know if prior Reviews reflect the new Management, or not.

Here's what I experienced...
a) I made the booking online. Although the receipt said "there's no requirement to call ahead" -- I did, anyway. I'm glad I did because the hotel operator was clueless as to my reservation.
b) Watch out about the time you show up. They supposedly close the office at about 6pm, but it was closed earlier according to the note on the door (3pm, as I recall). And was not open upon my arrival.
c) Don't expect the manager to live up to any promises. I was told to call as I got closer and she would have her daughter meet me to check me in. She was surprised at my call and had no clue of my reservation. I did call and had to leave a message as there was now no answer, but the daughter was not available to help, although she apparently lives upstairs.
d) I tried calling again but got voicemail twice. About an hour later, I received a call asking me to look for the daughter to let me into my room as the managers were at an important local meeting. The daughter did show -- but gave me no key. I was told her mother would give me one when she arrived. So now I'm stuck at the hotel at 8pm with no way to re-enter my room should I lock the door behind me. So I could not leave to go to dinner.
e) The mother never showed. After an hour and a half, I called, again. The managers (mother and father team) were now at a local bar/restaurant and invited me over when I told them I had no key and had no dinner. It was approaching 10pm.
f) After returning to the room, the father asked if I really needed a key. Since I was not going anywhere that night, I said "No. I guess not. But I'll be leaving early in the morning." He asked about payment and I said "It was prepaid online when I booked."
g) The bed was as hard as a rock. But the room was very clean.
h) There was no curtain for the shower, so water got everywhere.
i) I left at 5:30AM to try and catch the sunrise. About two hours later, the mother called asking how I was going to pay -- but realized, after finally checking online, that it had been pre-paid.

Yes, they were nice people.
Yes, they did apologize.
No, I did not throw a temper tantrum and complain. I should have, but was too tired. And I was determined NOT to let such an experience put me in a bad mood.

But beware. This is NOT a professional operation, and this is NOT the way to engender return trips. This hotel sits out in the middle of a nondescript field. There is nothing picturesque about it. And my experience was horrible. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Room Tip: You might request an upstairs room. Downstairs, you can hear everybody thundering across the floor a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank UncleGuy
Shore S, Manager at Shore Stay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

I apologize for the bad experience. However, we were at a meeting that supported the Eastern Shore and the local community. You did join us for dinner, which was paid for. I recall you having a great conversation regarding travel and sales. You, at no point, indicated that you had a bad experience. Again, we apologize and disagree with alot in this message.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

On our way to the Outer Banks we stayed at Shore Stay Suites! We were pleasantly surprised at this hotel. The room was large clean and had a complete kitchen. The atmosphere was very relaxing and was a great start for our vacation. We wished we could of stayed longer!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

#3 of 3 in Exmore
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore
Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina
Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites

Been to Shore Stay Suites? Share your experiences!