“You get what you pay for, this was a good value, clean and large”
Review of Buena Vista Motel

and 1 more site!
Buena Vista Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buena Vista
Virginia
“You get what you pay for, this was a good value, clean and large”
Reviewed June 9, 2009

I was a little leery after reading other reviews, but we had a good experience. The room was large with two queen size beds, clean crisp sheets, new blankets, very comfortable bed. We had a coffee machine w/coffee, iron + board, hair dryer, microwave and small refrigerator. Decor was dated, but bedroom and bathroom were very clean. Friendly reception at the front desk. Good cable TV station choices. Quiet and safe with parking in front. Great value for $69.00 a night. They have delivery from Nick's Italian Restaurant (we went to the restaurant/highly recommended) and Domino's.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank JacquiVA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Upstate New York
Reviewed February 21, 2008

We're currently at the motel right now, and to be honest, not quite the best accommodations. It looks as though we have the high speed internet that was promised, which of course enables me to write this splendid review. However, it's not a reliable connection. There were ragged blankets on the beds (two beds) and one had hair follicles on it. The heating unit leaves much to be desired (it's somewhat cold in here).

There was no restaurant adjacent to the motel either. In finding the electrical outlet nearest to the bed (behind the nightstand, I couldn't help but notice the dinginess of the wall in that particular spot. There's a really ugly painting on the wall. The bathroom seems a little like a public restroom.

When we first arrived it seemed as though the place had been abandoned by any form of management. Then someone showed up. She was relatively friendly, but not overly sociable.

Overall, I'd say don't go out of your way if your heading up or down I-81.

Stayed February 2008

Travelers are raving about these Buena Vista hotels

Bear Lake
Reviewed January 1, 2008

I've stayed at this establishment two different times a year apart. Both times I received a good rate due to coupons from the rest area ads.

The first time was quite interesting. The woman in the office was extremely sweet and talkative. Very interesting character. We had 5 in our family so she gave us a rather large room w/ 2 beds and a separate bedroom besides that. This is where I find things are interesting. There was no fridge in our room, as the ads for the hotel claim fridges in the rooms I went to request something with a fridge. She gave me keys to a few of the empty rooms and said one of those rooms should have a fridge if we'd be wouldn't mind moving one. We also ended up switching up our TV for one in another room that was bigger. She was a real peach. THEN, we asked for more towels in the room. She said there were some in the dryer in their laundry. I volunteered to go get them so she gave me the key and I brought her back the rest of the load for fold. This all sounds strange but it was great. This is the kind of local, neat people that I love to run into.

The place was a little run down. Would be super if they could fix it up a little. They also shouldn't be claiming to have amenities like a restaurant, fridges, and a laundry if they don't have them.

I'd gotten the impression that the place was under 'new management' and things were sliding.

The second time I brought my sister and stayed there since I had such a neat experience the first time. Well this time I think I got the owners at the desk and I wasn't impressed.

Not the most hospitable people. Same deal too, advertising amenties that weren't there. We received a different room. (I think some workmen were living in the previous room).

The room we stayed in wasn't so great or charming. Bathroom window wouldn't close. No moving a fridge in this time.. 'no fridge available'. Room was pretty bad. Icky...

I wasn't impressed at all, even for the low rate. Just goes to show how different things can be from year to year, or depending on which employee you deal with.

What I was impressed with - was the area in general. I LOVE the area w/ the mountains, blue ridge parkway.... Just cool, cool, cool... No matter which road you drive out of this town, and I've driven on all of them, it's just scenery, scenery, scenery. LOVE it!

Anyway, not much in the way of hospitality, amenities, etc... who knows, maybe it's WORSE in the year+ since I've been there, but if you're looking for a fairly reasonable stopping spot in a great AREA, this is OK. It's just too bad they're letting this diamond in the rough go to pot.

• Liked — Quirky characters... scenery...
  • Disliked — Apathetic ownership... going DOWNhill... Amenities offered AREN'T there.
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled with family
virginia
Reviewed October 26, 2007

This is a very old hotel with worn lines, and poor management. If you have any problems or need additional items, you have to wait until the manager comes onto the property, which is almost never. Our room smelled of cat urine. Horrible!!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bella83Virginia
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed October 1, 2007

We stayed 1 night here while driving the Blue Ridge Parkway. The signs through the town advertise a restaurant, laundry and high speed internet. The restaurant is closed, there is no laundry and the high speed internet didn't work.

I have stayed at places where the bedding was a bit worn and the blankets on these beds had some holes. I'm not talking about small holes - these were 6"-8" holes caused wear. The tub had mold around it. Generally, the property is old and run down.

The AAA discounted mid-week rate was $65.00 + tax. I guess that AAA has lowered their standards because this is by far the worst AAA approved motel I have ever stayed. I do not plan to stay here again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — too many to mention
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed July 6, 2007

While not the best place we ever stayed, it also wasn't the worse. Our rooms were large and clean. We were four couples traveling on motorcycles and the motel made an effort to keep all of us resonably close together. Because we were on bikes, we wanted a place to eat that we could walk to. We were told there was a place but it had closed. We had to "saddle" back up to eat. The pool that was supposed to be in town was not found either.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no amenities
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank MsBiker
maryland
Reviewed December 14, 2006

Me and my family stayed at this motel in november 2006, it was very spacious and offered spectacular views of the blue ridge mountains. The rooms were clean and the service we received was exceptional. We will be staying at this scenic, quaint motel in the future. Thanks for a great stay!

• Liked — cleanliness and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — stay here, you will love it!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
Best Western Plus Inn at Hunt Ridge
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington
Holiday Inn Express Lexington
Wingate by Wyndham Lexington

Been to Buena Vista Motel? Share your experiences!