“An interesting experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buckingham
Satchidananda Ashram - Yogaville
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buckingham
Burke, VA
“An interesting experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I will agree with many of the posts below. Facilities were clean (I stayed in the dorm), food was very good and plenty of it, folks were very nice and the location is beautiful!

I would say I'm an 'experienced' yogi, with some exposure to the Integral or Hatha style. The classes I took on my weekend stay were a mixed bag. One 'joint freeing' class was very low-key but very informative (a little too informative imho - too much talking - not enough doing)

I am a novice at meditation - and I struggled with this. Guided meditation had its advantages - it kept me somewhat focused. However, by the end of the weekend, I was over the chanting.

If I ever go back (and I think I will) I will keep clear of the Pujas (too much chanting) and do more of a mix of guided and non-guided meditation.

We did do some hiking on the trails. The trails were well marked, however not well traveled. So make sure you have sturdy shoes as there are many trees, roots and steep areas on them.

My complaints: no confirmation from the ashram that our reservations had been received; door to our dorm room didn't quite close all the way so when we opened our window the wind would open and close our door, don't go on 'kids weekend' - too many kids screaming and running around the dining halls and out in the courtyard for my liking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank hihokie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbia,MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Your experience at Yogaville will totally depend on what you are looking for in an "ashram". I stayed in the dorms for a week and it had more facilities than I expected. The accommodations were nice. You get free internet for 30 minutes every 24 hours. There is free internet at their cafe too. So you are not as cut off as you think. The food is fantastic, it is organic and all that and its wonderful. I actually don't like the food I make at home anymore almost. There are decent trails around the area and the views are beautiful.

The classes were nice, some better than others but average overall. The class in library that someone talks about, happened to me too and it was alright not too bad. There were a lot of people who were there for the weekend and almost none for the rest of the week. So if you are looking for peace and quiet try week days.

Everyone was nice on the ashram and made sure you had everything you needed. Some were a little too nice though. I do find a lot of discrepancies in the way they say they integrate religion etc. and did not like the satsang part very much. All of the people on ashram have an adopted "Sanskrit" name, which I always find very pretentious. But they are my personal conflicts with the way ashrams in the US work. I havent been to another ashram so I dont how that works.

Overall, for the price and facilities, its a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank pmphx5
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was thrilled to discover an ashram close to where I live and spent a weekend in October here. The grounds are beautiful, with some nice trail options and of course the epic lotus temple. The food is delicious and wholesome and there's a little market for those with a sweet tooth! The room was clean and comfortable. What I didn't love was my yoga experience. Specifically when the class was in the library. Yoga surrounded by smelly old books.... Not really my thing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Alexia R
Englewood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

My family and I had an outstanding time. This beautiful ashram is staffed by some of the most beautiful and caring people I've ever met. We tented in the campground to save a few dollars. The vegetarian food was exceptional. As far as yoga ashram go, this is the lap of luxury. It seemed there was never a moment without a yoga class, meditation or some other interesting activity. I would highly recommend this as a yoga retreat for anyone and it was very family friendly.

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank TravelLife19
frederick
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

I purchased a Groupon and for a yoga retreat the employees of the call center who make reservations were extraordinarily rude and treated me as if my questions were not important when I wanted to book for Memorial weekend. One of their employees told me we were booked and then left a message later to say he made a mistake and we couldn't go that weekend. It did not say anything on the Groupon to exclude this weekend. They kept telling me that I would need to take any issues up with Groupon and would not take responsibility. I would much rather take my business to a place of great energy that will make me feel l like a welcome guest no matter how I purchased my stay.

Room Tip: I did not even get to go on this trip because they would not accommodate me and were extremely rude...
Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank LWhid
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

I've been practicing yoga for about 5 years, and a friend invited me to experience this Ashram for a weekend. The rooms were immaculately clean, and very simple (expected) and for an all-vegetarian menu, the food was very good, prepared in the kitchen by the people living and working on-site, and apparently they have their own farm.

The yoga classes (I took 2) were terrific, and the teachers had a good tone and explained what each move was for, the part of the body or organ it benefited, and preached to the value of yoga to the body. There were trails to hike on and we took the 1 mile hike to the LOTUS Shrine - which looked beautiful from afar all lit at dusk. At which point, my friend, skipping along the path in her happiness, immediately broke her foot!!

There was a small store on-site and they were kind enough to open and offer me ice bag and holistic medicine to help with swelling. However by mid-day on day 2 it became clear that our yoga adventure was over and we needed to come home to seek 20th centure medical attention.

Still, for the 24 hours we were there, I found the place to be very harmonious, clean, accepting, and plan to return when looking to reconnect with my inner peace.

Room Tip: We stayed in the hotel-type rooms rather than the dorms - they were very clean, simple and comfortab...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank pitsbrgher
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

Experience the Bliss in the nature. Perfect place to rejuvenation!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank FoodLoverInd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckingham
Appomattox Inn & Suites
Longacre
Longacre
#2 of 4 in Appomattox
Babcock House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Satchidananda Ashram - Yogaville? Share your experiences!