“Worth the trip even if off the beaten path!”

Red Hill Patrick Henry National Memorial
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Brookneal
More attraction details
Owner description: Patrick Henry's Red Hill is the last home and burial place of Virginia's first elected governor, Patrick Henry. Red Hill is the National Memorial for Patrick Henry and his life and home. Exhibiting Patrick Henry’s restored artwork, buildings, and the nationally ranked Osage orange tree, Red Hill offers tours, special events and school outreach programs.
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Set your GPS and head over the Red Hill! We stayed in Gretna, VA and made the trek over. What a beautiful place - well worth the low admission. There was hardly anyone there the day we visited. We felt like we had the whole place to ourselves! The movie and museum were interesting and the docent was welcoming and knowledgeable. My wife bought a few books in the shop and loved them! I liked strolling the grounds at our pace and being able to go and out of the structures at our leisure. The view of the countryside is breath-taking. Also- after looking at the genealogy chart on the wall, I discovered ( after returning home) that Dorothea Dandridge Henry and I are both descended from two common ancestors- John Dandridge and Thomas West! Makes me want to go back now! It's a great place to spend a fascinating couple of hours!

1  Thank CatawbaCarl

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I visited Red Hill this weekend and were pleasantly surprised by the exhibit. Start with the movie and museum to give you the background on the "least known founding father" before heading out on your self-guided tour of the buildings and grounds.
The description in the guide-paper of the house left us a little confused as it didn't seem to line up with what we were actually looking at. I would suggest a few signs and descriptions in the actual buildings to help visitors understand what they are looking at, but it was not bad at all. Everything is very well restored or re-created to be what it would have been like in the late 1700's to early 1800's.
Walk through the grounds and get a feel for what it must have been like 200 years ago.

2  Thank Frank-Staunton-VA
PHenrysRedHill, Public Relations Manager at Red Hill Patrick Henry National Memorial, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Hello Frank! Thank you so much for coming to visit Patrick Henry's Red Hill. I hope you did enjoy your visit. We always like to hear from the visitors and I appreciate your suggestions about the signs needed on the grounds. We will keep these in mind when we order new signage. We hope to see you again! AB, Marketing Coordinator :)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Don't give up looking for Red Hill! It certainly is off the beaten path. The entire visit is self-guided through the small house and various out-buildings. There is also a video which provides the majority of the information, and a small museum.

I would have liked a little more information or write-ups for the buildings.

You can also take a hike to the slave cemetery which will take you past a tobacco barn. But be prepared for a moderate hike through the woods (bring bug spray).

PHenrysRedHill, Public Relations Manager at Red Hill Patrick Henry National Memorial, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hello Linda O,
I am so glad you came to visit Red Hill! We are very much off the beaten path; we like to call ourselves a hidden treasure! We do have several markers around the property that talks and the Guide and map also has some information on the buildings. If you are able, we would love to have you at one of our events where docents will be in the buildings to interpret them! Come back again! AB, Marketing Coordinator :)

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The grounds are beautiful. The video - while it does help give background on Henry's life - is very saccharin. Very. The buildings are recreations - but very nicely done. And the grave sites are serene and memorable. Worth even a decent distance drive to see if you enjoy US/Revolutionary history.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We enjoyed the ride in the country and discovered a gem. We visited on the 4th of July in which there were the regular sightseeing opportunities of the place along with venders, live music and fireworks. They did a reenactment of Patrick Henry's speech. There is a nice visitor's center and small museum. Will return for other special events. It was only $10 per car.

PHenrysRedHill, Public Relations Manager at Red Hill Patrick Henry National Memorial, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Hello jkbrown2!

I am so glad that you were able to spend your 4th of July with us here at Red Hill. Thank you for your kind words and I hope to have you back here for another event! We have a wine tasting event, our Tastings on the Terrace coming up on October 5th which is just a low key event. We also have out Bluegrass, Barbecue & Brew Festival on November 2nd! We hope to see you soon! - AB, Marketing Coordinator :)