“Spicy-lunch”

Chili's Grill & Bar
Ranked #22 of 91 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: Mexican, Steakhouse
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

Great food-quick service. Waitress great-ask for Merideth.

There are newer reviews for Chili's Grill & Bar

Reviewed February 23, 2012

good entrees great service needs a better manager does not speak to or great customers acts like he hates his job

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Good food for vegetarians.
Excellent margaritas.
Service great.

Reviewed January 3, 2010

We are big Chili's fans, and have eaten at their restaurants locally (Bristol, Johnson City, Roanoke), regionally (Winston, Charlotte, etc), and nationally (TX, FL, etc). Never can I recall being disappointed.... until we ate at this location.
The first time was shortly after they opened, back about 5-6 years ago. Our experience there was so bad, then, that we were given our entire meal free (food was just OK, but it was the service that caused all this issues).
For New Year's Eve this year, we knew that we were going to be in the area of Exit 7, and enough time had passed that we figured we'd give this Chili's another chance.
Big mistake on our part !!
With all the other great restaurants right there---- including the steakhouses we knew from experience were good ones (Outback, Logan's, Pepperjack Grill, Perkins, O'Charley's, and the Japanese steakhouses)---- we really should have never given this Chili's a second thought/try. But, as I said, we do usually love their food, and so we did.
Knowing there would likely be a crowd on New Year's Eve, we arrived early, at around 4:45PM. When we were seated, there were only two other occupied tables in our section, and prolly a dozen empties. Nonetheless, it took 10 minutes for a waitress to get to our table to take our drink order. We also ordered a Triple Dipper (3 appetizers). The drinks arrived back in a timely manner. About 10 minutes later, the waitress brought us all new drinks, and said that she was sorry about the wait for the appetizers, but that they should be out in a couple of minutes. Wrong! I told my wife that the appetizers would be there only minutes before our main course, which we had also ordered by this time. Unfortunately, I was right. Now there wasn't enough room at the table for 4 little appetizer plates, the large appetizer tray, and all of our main courses.
Bad, bad service!!!!
As is that weren't enough, when it did finally arrive, the food just plain sucked.
The tortilla chips and the boneless chicken strips were both literally dripping with grease. (Even my 16 year old wouldn't eat the chicken, if that tells you anything about how bad it was!)
The boneless buffalo wings were overcooked to the point they were so crispy/tough on the edges that one could hardly bite them.
The spinach and artichoke dip was good, so they got 1 out of 3 right.
My wife and my 15 year old ordered the grilled salmon, my 16 year old got the Big Mouth Bites (4 mini burgers), and I got the combination platter with the 8 oz sirloin and the Cajun shrimp. All came with the standard potatoes and what they refer to as "mixed vegetables" except the burgers, which came with fries and fried onion strips.
The burgers, fries, and onion strips were good. (I ate one burger, and helped with the fries and onion strips after I couldn't eat what I had ordered)
The "mixed vegetables" consisted of broccoli and julienned carrots... COVERED in pepper.
Totally gross!
Neither my wife nor my 15 year old could eat their salmon. It had a very 'fishy' flavor for salmon, especially for grilled salmon... and no other flavor, at all, that we could detect.
My steak was a decent size, and was well-trimmed, with no fat or gristle to speak of. That is a good thing!
Unfortunately, it had little flavor, at all. (The waitress asked upon delivery if I wanted A-1 Sauce, which I NEVER do to a steak! Maybe she knew something I didn't....)
And I got 6 whole shrimp, lol. Now, that wouldn't be an area to complain about if they were large shrimp, but..... they weren't!
I didn't say a word to the waitress about things... definitely not her fault.
The bill was $80, and I tipped her $12. So for nearly $100, we got 1 good appetizer out of 3, and one decent meal out of 4.
When I asked the host to speak with the manager, he said that there wasn't one available. LOL
We are locals, and we had waited 5-6 years before going back after our first experience.
We will not ever return.
Hope you learn from our 'taking a chance' and finding out ---- yet again ---- that not all Chili's are equal. We blew our New Year's Eve meal, blew nearly $100, and were all hungry again nearly as soon as we walked out the door.
This is a restaurant to be avoided!

1  Thank flex68