“Pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed June 4, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was definitely worried. However, the hotel was perfectly fine. It seemed practically empty so maybe it gets rough when it is fully booked. Easy to find off the highway and extremely clean since it seems to have been recently renovated. Everyone working there was pleasant and laid-back. It was an easy and comfortable stay. The only downside was very slow breakfast service, the place had one poor girl working a huge, huge floor. It wouldn't have mattered except we were in a bit of a rush.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nYeti
Doy_Rayburn_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Yes, we were renovated in 2010 - 2011. 2012 was our first year back in full operation. I am glad you enjoyed the fresh & light feel we have now. We do try to keep things friendly and casual. Over the years I have always had good responses to a genuine caring approach. Just let me know what you need and we'll fix you right up. We all make mistakes but when people are traveling and away from home the role we play is magnified greatly. People depend on us and we try our best to see them through. Thanks again for taking the time to drop us a line.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Arrived the night of Friday, May 17th. It was pouring rain. I had called ahead because we needed a wheelchair for my disabled husband, and because we had pets. We were moving to Marietta, GA and had a packed car, including my 13 yo daughter, disabled husband and several pets. The first thing we noticed was a van parked directly in front of the ramp people use for bags or wheelchairs, etc. When we went to retrieve the wheelchair and mentioned this to the desk clerk, he shrugged and said "I don't know what you want me to do about it." He refused to try and find the owner, refused to call the local police dept. to ticket the vehicle (which remained parked there till the following morning), and mostly, did nothing to help us get my partially paralyzed husband up the curb and into the hotel. We had to wait until a man, checking in with his own family, pulled the wheelchair up over the curb. We also had a cart entirely filled with suitcases, bags and pet carriers, plus a German Sheperd dog on a leash. With the wheelchair, my young daughter and I were completely overloaded and overwhelmed, yet the desk clerk simply stared at us and offered no help, calling no one. In the room, I noticed we still had almost 30 minutes to get room service before they closed, yet room service did not pick up. When we called the desk clerk, he said we could no longer get room service, but when I mentioned the time, he said we could still get it, which we did. They kept calling our room to take the wheelchair back the next morning, even when we were using it to transport my husband to the bathroom. I called and got the banquet manager, who was a lovely woman, and she said our stay would be comped, and she was apologetic. When I got the bill, I assumed this also meant our evening meal, not the breakfast the next morning. Once I knew our stay was comped, it was after we had ordered dinner, which I assumed would be part of the comp. When we ordered breakfast the next morning, I expected up pay for that, not to try and tack something else on to get something for free. When I saw that the evening meal and pet charges remained, I called the hotel and found they had comped just the bare bones room charge. I spoke with the General Manager and found he was willing to go no further on comping the abysmal stay. I actually stayed at this hotel near Christmas in 2011 and had such a pleasant experience, with excellent service, that I wrote a wonderful review of this same hotel, on this site. What a shame that, from the desk clerk to the General Manager, this hotel has experienced such a come down. It was a horrible stay from start to finish. I will never again stay here, nor will I ever again recommend them to people visiting who have to go through Virginia. What a disgrace.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Dawn D

We do appreciate the time it takes for a guest to post a review for us. We value the insight and opinions which we use to improve our own attitudes and service. Each and ever guest has a unique outlook on things and we realize and respect these differences. We do our best to be respectively flexible with the resolution process in addressing them. We have reviewed your case to identify any and all opportunities that exist for us to learn and grow. I, as a General Manager, will accept nothing less than true Empathy and genuine Concern for the guest from our staff. I stand ready to serve on the front lines of Guest Service and try to make myself as accessible by the guest as possible. If I can ever be of service in the future do not hesitate to offer me that chance. Thank You.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hi. I was tired and had to stop and the other hotels in the area were sold out, which may tell you something. The price and the presentation set up expectations of the more-than-just adequate. But the details just did not add up - a somber room with dark decor, old thin carpet, cold 'hot water', morning desk staff with an attitude. At half the price it would have been just ok, but ....

Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Codje
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Codje,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for the room accommodations you received and the service you encountered did not live up to your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 6, 2013

It was obvious from the outside that significant improvements had been made to the old worn out decor of this hotel since my last visit some time ago. the exterior paint scheme is attractive and the lobby renovations are significant over the dark dreary ones before. My room was clean, well appointed and attractive. the bed was super! this holiday inn is in a line of other chain hotels and restaurants and easily accessible off of I-40. unlike some other reviews i did not detect smoke odors or loud noise while there on a routine weekend night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We recently stayed at this Holiday Inn due to our reservation at another establishment being cancelled at the last minute. I needed a pet friendly, non-smoking hotel and there were not many to choose from in the area.
Despite being "non-smoking", we could smell cigarette smoke wafting up the elevator shaft as we came off. We also noticed it in the hall while heading out in the morning, and I couldn't help but wonder if the cleaning crew smokes, because when the odor was the strongest, I noticed a cleaning cart in the hall.
I am asthmatic and am very sensitive to cigarette smoke, so when I request a non-smoking hotel, I expect it to be exactly that. No smoke whatsoever. I had to sign a paper saying that I would pay a $250.00 fine if caught smoking in the room, so I have no idea where the source was. But, it was obvious that there was smoking going on somewhere.
While we stayed at this relatively large hotel, only one elevator was in operation. There were several times when people were standing in the lobby, waiting for the single elevator. There are three elevators in the lobby, so I don't know why only one was working.
We were lucky to have a suite, which is quite roomy and includes a microwave and refrigerator. But the room had an odd odor of some underlying mildew. We smelled it every time we entered the room.
There were large windows with insulated draperies, but they did not muffle the road noise from I-81. We have stayed in other hotels/B&B's that are located close to major roadways, but each had draperies that definitely cut out the road noise. This is not the case here. I even tried sleeping with ear plugs and could still hear the trucks on the road. There is just no getting around this. Perhaps a radio that plays the ocean, or something similar would help to muffle the road noise.

In addition to the road noise, there was an irritating motor noise that kept going off every couple of minutes. It never stopped. We thought that it might be the elevator, but we were several rooms away from the elevator, so there must be some other source for the noise. So, even if we wanted to switch to the outer room to sleep, there was this other noise that was extremely annoying.

The wi-fi was terrible. It was very difficult to hold a connection. My husband and I both had issues with 2 different computer sources. If you are counting on the wi-fi for a business connection, forget it. We were on the 10th floor, and I don' know if that made a difference, but considering that there was a special computer desk in the room, I would have expected a better internet connection.
Breakfast is not generally included in the price of the room, which I feel is way overpriced for Bristol, VA.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank geismom
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear geismom,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We aim to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconveniences you may have experienced on this visit particularly with the Wifi connection and noise levels being bothersome. Your comments will be reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken to rectify these issues. We take the confidence our guests place in us to rectify unsatisfactory circumstances.

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 19, 2013

the restaurant & bar staff were awesome
the desk staff not so freindly
now to the problem was cleaning the room
we get there thursday march 14 get into the suite for 415 per night it was big with full kitchen AWESOME but not so clean as i dont mind paying BUT IT BETTER BE CLEAN so friday we go out for the day get back to room table not cleaned from eating supper night before tolit not cleaned,
counters not cleaned, so i call down and complain like i should, the front desk takes my info & says
he past it on good right, so we are on our out & i go to front desk to woman to tell her about my complaint & she saids THEY DONT DO A FULL CLEANING FOR STAY OVERS i think to myself
ARE YOU KIDDING ME , so we carry on get back saturday after the race and yes the room was much cleaner BUT a dead LADYBUG STILL ON FLOOR NOT VACUUMED UP,this is ok for guys weekend but not wth wife , so all in all the big room was great but they need to improve CLEANING

Room Tip: i will stay here again but when i book in will remind them to make sure my room is clean
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Doy_Rayburn_GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you Rick for giving us some valuable feedback. Guests who take some time to let us know these things help make it better on the next guy down the line. I'm very pleased that you had a good time in our Restaurant and Bar. They have been working very hard to maintain a high level of satisfaction with our guests. But I am sorry our performance in other areas fell short of reasonable expectations. I have reviewed every point, both good and bad, you called our attention to, with our staff to identify specific processes or procedures that may need attention. Race or no race, every guest every day is equally important as the last. We care and we try to show it. And I am always just a phone call away. Thanks again Rick and don't hesitate to call on me any time.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I just stayed at this location during the race weekend. I was there for business so joining the extremely loud party in the hotel bar wasn't in the cards. It sounded like everyone was having a good time. Not sure if it was more for the race or St. Patrick's Day but there were obviously a lot of drinks and karaoke.
The rooms are clean and laid out well. Decent selection of tv channels. The pillows, like all Holiday Inn's, are very uncomfortable.
The front desk staff and restaurant staff were all very pleasant.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
#2 of 6 in Bristol
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#7 of 10 in Abingdon

Been to Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center? Share your experiences!