“French Laundry of the East Coast”

L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Boyce B&B and Inns
Charlottesville, Virginia
“French Laundry of the East Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I am an avid consumer of reviews – especially when it comes to hotels and restaurants – and even though I always say I’m going to follow up and write one myself one day, I never have. That is, until I stayed at L’Auberge Provencale.
My wife and I were guests for our 10th wedding anniversary and the experience completely surpassed our expectations – from the staff and accommodation to the meal.
Yes, we loved the soft, silken sheets and Turkish towels. But the thing that completely blew us away was the meal prepared by the executive chef: Jospeh Watters, a David Copperfield of food. (We also took his cooking class the next day and highly recommend it.)
We opted to leave the dinner menu in his hands and the resulting 15-course tasting menu was nothing short of mind-blowing. To wit: the Portobello Percolation was created table side (the consommé percolated through herbs, infusing as we watched), as was the PB&C (mousse poached in liquid nitrogen to create a dessert as delicate and light as a meringue) and the mystical basket of petit fours (warm rose water poured onto a bed of moss, berries, fronds, and pine -- atop dry ice -- created a rose-scented mist and the illusion of a scene from Lord of the Rings).
Chef Joseph is inspired by Chef David Humm at Eleven Madison Park in NYC (currently ranked No. 5 in the world) and has ambitious plans to transform the kitchen and menu (he has only been there a few months). When he says he aspires to be the French Laundry of the East Coast, I have no doubt that that is what the restaurant will become under his direction. It’s just a matter of time.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gfrank11
ProvenceVirginia, Owner at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
What a great time and gastronomic event was had when you visited La Table Provencale, our restaurant here at L'Auberge Provencale! Chef Joseph did pull out the stops, but isn't it fun when the chef has free reign to create an inspiring menu for a couple that really understands and appreciates the fine nuances of cuisine.
It was our pleasure to host you here at the inn, and for the cooking class as well. I am sure now you are the masters of macaroons, after working so hard on them at the class. Chef Joseph was delighted to show you some of his tricks.
The long term goal is to transform, what always has been a successful restaurant and inn, into, yes, a French Laundry of the East. A place where discerning diners can experience the best of our farm to table cuisine with service and ambiance to match.
We so appreciate your kind words of support for our vision.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

First let me say that this was our first visit and neither my wife nor I have any connection to the owners or staff at the inn. We had a wonderful stay at L’Auberge, staying two nights in Suite 11, eating dinner there the first night, and taking a cooking class the next day. Our suite was very comfortable despite the record cold (we enjoyed the whirlpool tub). Our dinner was spectacular, including the whimsical salad, lamb ragout, duck, tuna, and delicious desserts. We particularly enjoyed the amuse bouche – little bit-size treats in between the courses. Not only delicious but imaginatively presented, as was everything. Some comments on the staff: Christian, who was our waiter that evening, made us feel very welcome and was attentive without being obtrusive. Marie brought us our (fantastic) breakfasts each morning, and was a delight to interact with. Finally, the chef, Joseph, was wonderful. He came to our table that first night to make sure everything was to our liking (ditto for breakfast), and his cooking class was the highlight of our stay. We have the highest praise for everyone at the inn – it may sound strange but after just two days they felt like friends.

We also visited nearby Winchester (again, first time) and found it to be a very interesting little town. People reading a review often look for signs that it is truly objective; for example, whether it cites any downside to staying there. Well, L'Auberge is on the pricey side if you stay in a suite and eat dinner there, so it’s probably not for the budget-minded. We knew what it would cost before we got there, of course, and thought we got good value for what we paid. Since there were few rooms occupied during our stay (a freezing Monday and Tuesday), I can’t speak for whether others would get all the special attention we got. But in a word or two; highly recommended!

Room Tip: Check the website photo's to help decide on a room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 26, 2016
Thank you for your review! We invite you back to experience our new bar & lounge featuring herb-infused drinks from our garden, brasserie/bistro fare, over 100 whiskeys and liquors, and local cider and beers on tap!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed here the other night based on a glowing recommendation of friends. The drive away from the hustle of the NOVA burbs was beautiful. The house and views were very nice. Our room was spacious and comfy (perhaps a little interior decorating help required). We enjoyed some sweets and spiced cider in front of a fire. Dinner began well enough with wine and interesting menu selections. The first taster that came out was a little potted plant with a baby radish planted in ricotta cheese, topped with ginger crumbs. It was so cute, but none of it had any taste, including the radish. And so it went for most of the remaining courses. The presentation was terrific, but the food largely lacked flavor, either good or bad. It was just bland. The exceptions were the chicken liver and lamb that were entirely too salty. The desserts were good. Not great, but good. We waited to pass judgement until after breakfast the next morning. That was when we discovered tasteless chocolate chip pancakes (unless you count the burned flavoring) and a tasteless Spanish omelette. The best way for me to describe this is nice looking hospital food. After the terrific reviews and the recommendations we received, we were quite surprised, and not pleasantly so. The house was nice. The Staff was very friendly. The food, however, was quite poor and this is a Bed and Breakfast. Sorry

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
We were sorry to hear that your stay was not what you had hoped for. It is always our goal to have every guest leave more that satisfied and eager to share their positive experience.
In the time that our new chef has been with us, our reviews have been outstanding and guests have enjoyed our new menu and dining experience. We apologize that your experience was not the same. We would love for you to come and visit us again and give us "another try". The next time you visit I am sure you will leave with wonderful memories and the desire to return again soon!
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

My wife and I just spent three nights at the L’Auberge Provencale B&B. The entire B&B was decorated for Christmas and our room even had a lit Christmas tree, a very nice surprise. The room’s décor was very bright and sunny. Room 4 was very spacious. The bathroom came with a stand up shower that included a steam shower. This was a very nice bonus. I did not think I would use it, but once I turned it on, I turned it on several more times. For the first night, we ate at the B&B’s restaurant, which offered a 3 or 4-course meal including a dessert. In-between the meals, the kitchen kept sending out small treats for our tasting. Each of these items tasted wonderful and was presented with great care. They have an extensive wine list. The meal was impressive. I cannot say if we met the owners, but every staff member we met was professional and courteous. The breakfasts were great and the guest had several choices for the main breakfast entrée. Marie, our server in the mornings, was attentive to our needs and preferences. My only negative comment would be, the walls were a little too thin because sound carried from one room to another.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here at L'Auberge Provencale. All of our staff strives to make each customers experience exceptional from start to finish. From the time you call on the phone, to the check out, after breakfast, it is our goal to make your stay memorable and one you would come back for.
I am happy you enjoyed our new menu concept and the little treats offered by the chef throughout the meal.
As a note, we do have to walls really insulated for sound, and I am distressed to hear you were disturbed by noise during your stay. I will look into this and see if there is any way to address what seems to have been a problem.
Dayton md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I spend a few special nights each year at this spectacular B&B near the Virginia wine country. A stay at L'Auberge Provençale is like a visit to the south of France. Exquisitely perfect rooms and suites each with distinctive and authentic French décor. No detail is overlooked. We love the large suites with beautiful furnishings, comfortable beds and steam showers. Wake up to great coffee and delicious cooked breakfast along with homemade granola, yogurt and fresh fruit. The location is peaceful and bucolic. The Innkeepers, Celeste and Alain are perfect hosts and make you feel like family. They have successfully transported an authentic piece of France to their Inn and we just love our visits there. Highly recommended.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I stayed in Suite 1 and can not say enough nice things about Celeste and L'Auberge Provencale B&B. The staff were truly helpful and kind. The rooms... perfection! I will be back very soon. Thank you!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

My fiancé and I recently had the pleasure of staying at L'Auberge Provençale for a one night birthday celebration, and it was a truly wonderful experience. Our room (# 5), which is the least expensive, had all the comforts an amenities we'd expect from a luxury B&B - a working fireplace with dura-flame logs, a very comfortable bed, a seating area with 2 comfortable chairs facing the fireplace and a beautiful bathroom. I was surprised how large the room was given it was the least expensive option. The original house is beautiful - one of the things we appreciated the most was the actual working fireplaces - we have a wood burning fireplace at home, and can really appreciate how nice it is to have this as opposed to gas fireplaces. So, needless to say, we both really enjoyed the room and main house. what really takes this B&B "over the top" in our opinion is the wonderful service, and the amazing meals! One of the reasons we decided to celebrate our birthday here at L'Auberge Provençale was at this time last year, we were in France (Paris, Loire Valley & Provence) and wanted someplace that would remind us of our trip. From the moment we sat down for dinner, the memories came pouring in - from the provincial table cloths, muted wall colorings and art (reminded me of the village of Roussillon), we both felt as if we were back in Provence or Amboise, dining at one of the many "L'Auberge's" we experienced. The dining staff made sure the fireplace was constantly burning fresh wood, and the overall dining experience was second to none. We opted for the 4 course menu, with the highlights being duck breast (cooked rare and the most tender duck I have ever had) and the Sorrel (again, perfectly cooked, with a wonderfully crisp, seared skin and tender, flaky meat). The dessert was so wonderfully complex, not just with flavor, but also texture, mixing crunchy and smooth elements perfectly. To add to this wonderful experience, we had chosen a Bordeaux from the extensive wine list (as is the case everywhere, Bordeaux's can be pricey) based on our affordability, and when the sommelier came to tell us our selection was not available, he chose a more expensive option and lowered the price to the bottle we had originally chosen. We requested a Bordeaux with a more complex and heartiness, and his selection was spot on. Our meal was accompanied by multiple "presentations" from the chef, which were all delicious little tidbits of flavor that made our meal all the more wonderful. In what I can express as the ultimate compliment to how great the food is at L'Auberge Provençale, after eating and returning to our room to sit by the fireplace and share a bottle of champagne, we compared this meal with meals we've had at some of the premier "Michelin" rated restaurants in Paris, to include Les Ambassadeurs in the Hotel Crillion and Restaurant Jaques Cagne, and found this meal to be just as good (in taste, presentation and execution) if not better! If you want a true dining experience worthy of some of France's best restaurants (and at a fraction of the price, I might add), then make your way to L'Auberge Provençale - you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: Room # 5 is the least expensive, an has a wonderful fireplace an plenty of room!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boyce
The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
#8 of 25 in Winchester
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant
#1 of 8 in Middleburg

Been to L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!