“A Short Getaway!”

L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Boyce B&B and Inns
“A Short Getaway!”
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We decided on the inn almost six months in advance and were not disappointed. Upon our arrival we were give a tour and immediately felt right at home. There are pastries waiting in the parlor with hot mulled cider for guests to enjoy by the warm fire. We enjoyed dinner two nights at the inn; Thursday and Saturday evening. Both nights were wonderful and we realized that all of the staff were attentive and ready to meet our every need. In fact each member of the staff on Saturday stopped at our table to make sure everything was perfect. On Friday morning, we were greeted by Jamie in the dining area for breakfast. The service was wonderful and the breakfast more than anyone will ever prepare at home for themselves. Rutledge helped us plan part of the day and off we went to the Shenendoah Valley for a day of sight-seeing and spelunking at Luray Caverns. On our drive along Skyline Drive we stopped to rest and now have pictures of a mother bear and two cubs! On Saturday, after another fantastic breakfast, Rutledge gave us directions to our first winery where we had eight tastings along with a very large glass of mulled wine. We were told to keep the glass. All of this with a coupon from Rutledge we had four more wineries to visit,but we decided we would explore the town of Winchester instead. Take advantage of the winery passes and enjoy all of the places within driving distance of the inn. Dinner on Saturday night in the breakfast room was as enjoyable, scumptious, and extremely filling. The service was fantastic! I cannot believe that someone could eat at this fantastic restaurant and go home hungry. The next morning my only disappointment was that french toast wasn't on the menu; but the chef did make my eggs to my liking. We were greeted with warm coffee, fruit, croissants, banana bread and a delicous menu. My daughter and I have gone away for the past three years to select registry inns along the east coast of our beautiful country and we were not disappointed at the attention to detail that the innkeepers provide. We had a fantastic experience in Virginia and the inn did not disappoint us in the least.

Room Tip: Choose a room outside the main inn if you want to have a private experience.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
ProvenceVirginia, Front Office Manager at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 27, 2016
Thank you for your review! We invite you back to experience our renovations including a new bar & lounge featuring herb-infused drinks from our garden, brasserie/bistro fare, over 100 whiskeys and liquors, and local cider and beers on tap!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I have to say that the review would be excellent if we didn't have dinner. The room was lovely and atmospheric, staff was welcoming and surroundings enjoyable.

If you're staying on Friday or Saturday you must have dinner at the hotel. We opted for the five course menu with wine pairings. The biggest disappointment was that a palate cleanser that consisted of a cordial glass with maybe an ounce of granita was considered a "course", a huge stretch and not something I've ever encountered in a fine dining establishment. We had a very light breakfast in anticipation of the meal and found the courses to be skimpy. Again, I'm not expecting huge portions and do multi-course dining often, but have never gotten to the end of a meal and still been hungry until now.

We like ordering the wine pairings so we can discover something we've not had before and have the wine compliment each course. The wine pairings were uninspired and the wines were not what I expected for fine dining. I appreciate having a couple of local wines, but not at that price. Wine pairings can be a revelation as we experienced at Volt in Frederick, MD, but these pairings were very much not.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Owner at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thank you for posting your review, comments and suggestions are always appreciated. Ninety-nine point nine of our guests are groaning when they leave the table. I cook breakfast at our Villa and I have been always told everything was too much food! So I wonder what could have happened when someone has had a five course menu, with additional amuse buche and petit fours. Noted the palate cleanser seemed "skimpy" and we are now changing our course to be a "real" course thanks to your comments.
In celebration of Virginia Wine Month we have featured more Virginia wines on our tastings than ever. These wines come from premier wineries and are locally sourced in keeping with our tradition of supporting local farmers. These wine retail anywhere from $28.00 to $100.00 a bottle and are well within keeping of the amount we are charging for the tasting. We also feature premier French, American and New Zealand wines often one's that are not normally available to the consumer.
We hope you can visit again and see the new menu items and changes we have made.
Farmington
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I recently lost my husband of 45 years and needed a respite. At the recommendation of several friends, I chose to stay at a Country Inn in northern VA called L'Auberge Provencale. The experience was amazing. The attention to detail by the Owner/Inkeeper, Celeste Borel is unequaled by any inn I have previously visited...and that is quite a few! Upon arrival, I was escorted to a room decorated with linens from Provence, my fireplace was twinkling, there was nothing left to be desired...everything I could have wanted or imagined was awaiting me. That evening I dined in the unbelievably divine four-star restaurant and savored the cuisine directed by chef/owner, Alain Borel...he is a fourth generation French Chef! I slept in my four poster custom bed and awakened to enjoy a three-course breakfast! I hope that all of you who read my review will afford yourself the luxury of being spoiled/pampered at L'Auberge!

Room Tip: I previewed the rooms....each is meticulously pristine, you cannot choose one over another!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Ventura, California
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I'm afraid I have to agree with several of the more recent reviews. Understanding that the house was built in 1700's, there are certain deferred maintenance issues that could be corrected, although the bathrooms had been upgraded and were very nice with new Kohler products. We did not see any bugs, and the cleanliness of our main house room and bath was very good. Agree about the noise level after 11:00 however. Loud talking, laughing, doors slamming - one at 2:15 in the morning that jolted us both awake! Would suggest booking a room that is NOT in the main house where the restaurant is located directly below the rooms. Also, it should be noted that the house is located on a main highway, so the comments about the windows are well taken. The highway noise was not very "pastural" and could be mitigated with appropriate glass in the front windows. Did not have any pasture smell (lots of cows to view though!) and the train across the highway was not that distracting.

We were disappointed in the restaurant given all of the awards it has received, which are not in the last few years by the way. It appeared that the innkeepers were not around during our stay and the staff was on their own, which may have explained the quality of the dinner which was not quite up to snuff for the price paid. We had however, just come from 5 days in D.C. where we dined in some excellent restaurants, so that may have influenced our opinion.

To summarize, we have stayed in some very fine Country Inns with restaurants in New England, and did not find that this one in Virginia was even close to the same quality. After 30 years, it appears this Inn may be depending on it's reputation and perhaps is just "tired". Like someone else said, it is certainly not deserving of a 4 Diamond AAA designation in our opinion. Expections often determine one's opinion - when it's not up to what is expected, one is open to being disappointed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sometime's guests do disturb other guests..a door slamming at 2:15? That would be when all the staff is in bed, so we were unable to stop that one. But the noise from guests around 11:00 has been duly noted and our staff has been instructed that we do have a quiet policy after 11:00 which is reasonable.
The carpenters are on their way! Don't know if there is anymore to be done with the windows than what we have tried..but we will give this serious attention.
The restaurant has received a 27 for food and a 26 for service for 2012, a four diamond award for 2012 from AAA, and numerous other current awards. Our new chef, Jacob Jasinsky, most recently from Robuchon is taking the helm and new faces are joining our team. We hope the next time you visit you will be able to experience our top notch restaurant. We do not rest on laurels and continue to strive to give our best to all of our guests.
Chevy Chase
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Arrived at the Auberge after a strenuous day of hiking in Shenandoah and were welcomed in our room with a charcuterie platter and nice bottle of red wine as part of our special package. Our suite with a king-size bed and cozy sitting area was very tastefully decorated and very comfortable for settling into. From the reception on our phone reservation to the end of our stay, the host was gracious and helpful and contributed to the enjoyment of our stay. We were also very pleased with our dinner, which included a variety of well-prepared, delicious courses and excellent service, as well as a terrific breakfast, which was not only delicious but beautifully presented. Our only disappointment was the lack of moderately priced wines on the wine list; we have dined at other fine restaurants where a good quality wine could be purchased at much more reasonable prices. That said, we would recommend the Auberge heartily and anticipate a return in the near future.

Hanover, Maryland
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We chose this b&b based on their reputation and were sadly disappointed by the attention to service when there were issues. We chose to stay in room #7, even though it was one of the most expensive rooms.
The decor would have been superb except that there was a hole in the wall behind the bed and the rug was stained and worn in areas.
Upon arrival, the remote for the fireplace needed batteries but during our two day stay, this was never corrected.
However, the biggest disappointment was finding a family of stinkbugs in our room, shortly after arriving. Although, the staff was made aware, there no attention given to correcting this issue. One staff person assisted in removing some but the comments we received were: "This is the country" and "I have them at my house, too" This is not what I expect from a 4 diamond inn!! Management never made any attempt at service recovery.
The purpose of this trip was to get away from the daily stresses before the holidays. Finding these bugs in my room on more than one occasion made my skin crawl but we stayed because my husband wanted to and since he would look for them before I was in the room, I agreed.
Otherwise, the staff was friendly and attentive. A contradiction of sorts, I suppose.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Owner at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 17, 2011
We take all customer concerns very seriously here at L'Auberge Provencale. Room #7 has just been, less than one year ago, completely refurbished with new carpeting and new bed and furniture. Our housecleaning staff shampoos all carpets once a week regardless if they seem to need it or not. I am surprised to hear that any stains could be found on the carpet which is a very dark brown in color and perhaps was overlooked even in vacuuming which is done daily.
The stink bug issue: they are prevalent from Pennsylvania south to North Carolina. They are invading New Jersey as well, curious the guests have never heard of them as they are in their home state as well. We had our building sprayed with the only treatment against them and this was done at the height of the stink bug season. We spent over $1000. to ensure our guests would be spared the sighting of these bugs. There were none in the building all month and we inspect for them on a regular basis. Unfortunately, they are like unwanted relatives and pop in when you least expect them. No one detected the fact they were in the top folds of the curtains. It was only when the guest closed them that they were found. Rutledge, Vicky and then myself, the innkeeper went and removed the bugs immediately. The guests were not in the room at the time of my inspection. Everyone in Virginia is aware of these pests and they are especially prevalent in areas where there are fruit trees. We are located in the heart of apple country, and we had taken every precaution to eliminate the problem. Perhaps I should have made the guests aware that I personally inspected the room several times during their stay.
We also changed the batteries, and as we were not told they didn't work, we assumed that problem had been eliminated.
You can read more on stink bugs on the Virginia Agriculture site. We have not had anymore in the building since this occurred as it is now out of season. We were not able to move these guests as all the rooms were booked at the time. The bugs were not in any other room, so this was totally a fluke! These bugs are not here because of cleanliness or lack there of, they are a bug from China that is not welcome here at L'Auberge Provencale. And our staff was just trying to explain that they are in the country of Virginia.
Arnold, MD
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This place is definitely catered more toward the restaurant than the B+B guests. There is only one common room dedicated for the B+B guests and 3 dining rooms (and you're required to dine in the restaurant when you book your stay). We stayed in the main house above the restaurant. The room was spacious and had a nice fireplace and bathroom. The windows are old and need to be replaced. There are loose floorboards that could also use some work as well. My main problem was the noise. Both Friday and Saturday night, we could hear guests in the common room below well past midnight and could hear the clanging of dishes being put away or cleaned by the restaurant staff. If the B+B is going to allow that much noise that late at night, they should either soundproof the house better or have a staff member dedicated to ensure quiet in the main house after 11pm for the convenience of guests paying a minimum of $180 per night.

The breakfast was absolutely delicious and the chef does a wonderful job adjusting to special dietary needs. The bed was very comfortable as well.

It was obvious the focus of this place is the restaurant and not the B+B. That being said, it's a nice place, which is why I gave it an average rating, but I wouldn't return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Asst. InnKeeper at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 2, 2011
We like to believe we cater to all our customers just as we would want on our own travels. The Manor House is the oldest House in Clarke Country Va. originally deeded by the King to Lord Fairfax. The entire building was restored and the floors are original. They may creek a little as all old houses have their own personality. The windows have storm sashes but some outside noise may seep in; actually they are more then old, they are original and well preserved. We agree the room is spacious and has a nice fireplace and tiled bathroom with a king sized-bed; all for only $170.00 including the absolutely delicious breakfast. All our Inn guests dine with us on weekends as we are a small family owned business and turn down more then we house on the weekends. It is only prudent our weekend guest are also our diners. The fall foliage time is one of our busiest. People come from all corners of the world to enjoy the turning of the leaves in the Shenandoah Valley. Our last seating for dinner is 8:30PM. Some of our Inn guest must have lingered, enjoying the fireplace in the sitting room, later than usual. We rarely have a noise issue but we will keep our ears open going forward. Our nice place was sited last month by USA TODAY as one of seven irresistible country inns in the world.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boyce
The George Washington A Wyndham Grand Hotel
#1 of 3 in Middletown
Salamander Resort & Spa
Salamander Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Middleburg

Been to L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!