“Good food, good value”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed August 21, 2009

While visiting Va Tech, we wnadered into Poor Billy's with few preconceptions. From the outside it seems like many, many other basic college town bar/restaurants. Inside, the decor is pretty basic. More important, the menu is interesting and the food is well prepared. Check it out.

1  Thank Darthdaddy

Reviewed March 7, 2009

One of my favorite places until recently...it was about half full, there were 4 in my party, we were told a 25 minute wait, I see 2 empty tables and inquire, the hostess has to check with the server as those tables are for "5" .... he refused..so no table, there was no line and no crowd....the server was arrogant .... I'm puzzled.?.....he also gave me the finger when I questioned his decision.

2  Thank hokie74
Reviewed July 5, 2008

Poor Billy's is a requirement when I'm in town. Expect a slight wait on the weeked, and on game days, but well worth it. The penne ala vodka is the best I have experienced south of NY. If you enjoy a steak, the filet far surpasses anything I have tried in VA. If you are extremely lucky, you may catch the bison ribeye special - farm raised locally. Sushi? excellent. Boiled seafood platters? - excellent. Service is always above reproach.

1  Thank jsl21
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Great place to have dinner in Blacksburg. Took a client here after having a bad experience in another local restaraunt. My waitress was pleasant, prompt and thorough. The food is top notch! Nice atmosphere here too. Highly recommended for dinner.

Reviewed January 20, 2008

This place has some potentially great food- high-quality ingredients, interesting sauces, creative combinations and preparation- but the chef insists on over-salting virtually everything. You can hunt around the menu to find a few dishes that are not over-salted (ask your server for advice), but they are few and far between.

We aren't restricted to a low-salt diet or anything like that, and it's not only our taste- numerous friends of ours have tried PB's since the Nerv closed, and they have all come away with the same perception. In conversation with some of the servers at PB's we discovered that this is a longstanding problem. The chef has evidently gotten acclimated to lots of salt and can't taste anything without it. Perhaps going cold-turkey at some no-salt spa for a week or so would reset his taste buds....

This is a real tragedy in a town with very few high-quality restaurants.

1  Thank smrslt