WINNER WONDERLAND

Poor Billy's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 124 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Washington, DC
“A great mistake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I intended to go the sports bar but went in the wrong door. They had the college games on the multiple TV's so I thought I was in the sports bar (that was actually upstairs). But what a nice mistake. The beer menu had a few nice selections (I went with the wheat). The she crab soup was very good and the sushi was top notch. I ordered a couple of custom rolls that were not on the menu. That was no problem for them and the rolls were great. They were so good, I ordered a couple more. Service was a little slow, but is was crowded after a VA Tech game, so I'll grade them on a curve. The prices were good comparing the quality. I would definitely go back - this time on purpose.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Covington
“Great sushi but poor anything else.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

I loved the fresh sushi, it was the best. The atmosphere was great, server was awesome. We ordered crab cakes and they were just blah. Not cooked enough, very gooey and lacked the normal crab cake taste. The sauce (which I hoped would help) was boring too. The mashed potatoes were spicy but good. So all in all the only issue I had was the crab cakes, maybe I will try something else next time. Worth another chance for the sushi and potatoes alone.

Visited November 2012
“Don't let the Name Fool you.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have Business in Blacksburg VA, and have found that the restaurant selection is somewhat limited in this college town. The first time we were in town we were searching on trip advisor, and other sites for a place to eat and entertain customers. We initially discounted Poor Billy's, Seafood and Sushi based on the name. We ended up there after a few failed attempts at other places.
Wow were we surprised, Great menu selection of Steak, Seafood and Sushi all very high end, reasonably priced, and the atmosphere was casual and not stuffy. All of the wait staff has been very attentive, knowledgeable of the restaurant, specials and events in the area.
I have been there three times, and will most likely be there on my next trip.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Southbury, CT
“Good food, crowded”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

The food is excellent, very flavorful and they have a good variety of items. I especially enjoyed the cheesy grits! Place is very popular so be prepared for a short wait (10-15 minutes on a weekend night).

Visited October 2012
Blacksburg, VA
“Used to be really good....about 4 years ago”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

I used to go to Poor Billy's probably at least twice a month (but this was back in 2007-2009). I just went back in August and was SHOCKED at how different the restaurant was. Most notably, their prices. They scaled their menu down quite a bit (which is okay if all the food is top notch) and raised their prices. I found that I was searching thru the menu to find a dish that seemed appealing. It was boring, bland and already done food that was overpriced. I would skip it and head somewhere else.

• Visited August 2012