You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1020 Plantation Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060 (Formerly Comfort Suites University)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Blacksburg
“Awesome....period”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I just felt the need to write a review on this hotel. First and foremost the staff, amazing! Alex at the front desk, working the late shifts really needs to be commended for his kind demeanor, helpfulness and accommodating nature. I've stayed here frequently over the past couple months, always getting in late and he's always my go-to guy willing to go above and beyond to make my stay way above average. So a big thanks goes out to him! The rooms, are always spotless and the beds are super comfortable. The layout of all the rooms are the same and they are very ideal for a pleasant and cozy stay. I rate this hotel a five out of five because that's the highest you can get on trip advisor. Thanks again for everything. Z

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Toomanyouts1
Ryan D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We hope you'll be back for many more pleasant and cozy stays in the future. Thanks so much for letting us hear about your experiences here. Your kind words about our team are especially appreciated. Thank you!

McCoy, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

First of all, I should start saying that my husband and I have gone cross country, camping, motels and hotels. From all the places we've stayed this is by far the best. The facilities are great, staff do a great job to keep it neat, but the customer service its exceptional. From the front desk, to the kitchen manager, to the housekeeping people, to maintenance; everybody a great smile, great attitude. We had to stay there because our kitchen flooded and our insurance put us there for a month! It was an incredible experience. From the night we called for reservations and my husband told the front desk person why we were staying there, he offer a lower rate, matched us with the perfect room (with dishwasher, tall fridge and stove), to the chaotic mornings with a toddle and a baby staff helping me to our room with our food, holding doors open. What can I say... Somebody's done their homework here, definitely aced in every way. Ryan, Chris (manager), Brooke in Front Desk. Juan in the kitchen at breakfast. Juanita and Lisa from housekeeping and countless of others that my bad sleep deprived memory is forgetting. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ryan D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
derby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for about a month when we first came to Blacksburg. We stayed in a suite, on the fifth floor. Overall, this was a very good stay, with only a few minor problems.

All members of staff were very friendly and helpful - this was a definite plus point for this hotel. Our room was spacious, with a well-equipped kitchen area, including a fridge-freezer, a hob and a microwave oven. This kitchen/lounge area also had a large sofa and a small dining table & chairs. The bed was large and very comfortable. The breakfast, which was included in the rate, was fairly basic, but adequate - hot sausage & egg, waffles, fruit, yoghurt, pastries & bread. Juan, the breakfast chef, greeted everyone with a smile ...... and seemed to be there every day of our stay!

The hotel has an indoor swimming pool, which I used several times. It was clean and the water temperature was just right. The hotel also has a small gym, but I didn't use it. The hotel does not have its own restaurant, just a breakfast area in the lobby. The hotel across the road had a restaurant, but there were no other restaurants within a short walking distance. The Downtown area of Blacksburg is less than two miles away, and offers a number of different eating places.

The minor quibbles ..... the WiFi in our room was unreliable at times, so we would sometimes have to sit in the lobby, where the connection was fine. Our room didn't get made up everyday - but we stayed during some particularly bad weather, and I believe there may have been some staff shortages? Anyway, this wasn't a major problem for us. One thing that did become irritating was the other guests! During the week, the hotel seems to be "home" to a number of builders ..... and on the icy days (we had many in January!) they would turn on the engines of their big, noisy trucks - then go in for breakfast whilst their trucks de-iced! So, this was our early wake-up call most mornings! During the weekends, the builders were replaced by a large number of college students ...... so, on Saturday mornings, the breakfast area was just too busy and crowded to be comfortable ...... so, we just made other arrangements on Saturdays!

A long stay, and no major problems ..... I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the suites are more spacious - I don't know if there is a difference in price. Higher fl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank TeeDee3
Ryan D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for spending such quality time with us! And thank you for your very thorough and constructive review. Your feedback is very valuable to us and -- I'm sure -- to our future guests, as well.
Manalapan, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just returned from what looks to be our first of many visits to VT. The hotel was nice & clean but no surprises. What really set it apart from comparable hotels at this price point was the staff. Juan at breakfast, Juanita in housekeeping, but most of all Val at the front desk could not have been nicer. It is a great idea to have a VT student at the front desk. She spent a lot of time talking to us about the university and really went out of her way to help us. We will definitely be returning for orientation in July, move in August, etc!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ryan D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind words about our staff. Your feedback is very much appreciated. We look forward to having you back this summer and throughout the years to come!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here on a recent trip to look at Virginia Tech. The hotel is new and clean. They put me in a larger room because mine was not ready. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is very convenient to Tech and the visitor's center.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nebirdie
Ryan D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. And I hope this was just the first of many visits to Virginia Tech and nights at the Comfort Suites. Thanks so much for your feedback.
Ocean, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel last April (2012) when we went down to Blacksburg for Parent's Spring Weekend. I can't say enough good things about it. The room was clean, big and inviting. The breakfast was awesome and the help was terrific. I remember that I forgot my phone charger and asked the girl at the desk if she had an extra one by any chance. She searched hi and lo and found one that I used the whole time I was there. The guy in the breakfast area, Juan..couldn't have been more helpful. If you asked him for anything, he got it for you. We would stay here every single time that we go to Blacksburg, but find it a little more expensive than some of the other Choice Hotels that are a little further out...it is way above them as far as every other category though!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hokiemomof2
Ryan D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
It's always a pleasure to hear such feedback about our wonderful staff. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and we do hope to have you back again soon.
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was travelling for a conference at VT and came across this hotel. We booked about a month ahead of time, and everything was great! The lobby/breakfast space is nicely decorated, and the room was great! It was much bigger than I was expecting and had all of the amenities that you would expect. But the best thing about this hotel was the customer service. We were greeted by a very friendly front desk person who answered all of our questions, and every morning we left the hotel someone told us to have a good day! The breakfast was good, standard inclusive hotel breakfast, which is perfect for me. Juan, the breakfast chef, was so attentive to both the food and the hotel guests. In addition to making sure all of the food and breakfast was continually stocked, he came around to every table every morning to say hello and make sure we had everything we needed. It was truly a wonderful experience. The only negative I have about this hotel is the size of the gym area, but it did have a treadmill which I used every day so overall I was happy.

Overall, I would 100% recommend this hotel, and I will be staying here again when I return for this meeting next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your stay. Your thoughtful feedback is of great value to us. We look forward to having you back next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacksburg
Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg
4.5 of 5 stars 166 reviews
The Blacksburg Comfort Inn Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott Blacksburg
Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area? Share your experiences!