“3 Star Charm on a College Campus” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center

You added The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center to your Saves list
The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Prices Fork Rd, Blacksburg, VA 24061   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Blacksburg
Springfield, VA
“3 Star Charm on a College Campus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my second stay at the on-campus "hotel" for VIRGINIA TECH. The Inn at VA TECH is blended into the campus architectural look of "Hokie Stone" in a well designed manner. The Skelton Alumni Center is the other half of the building and serves to host events, weddings, receptions and other VT events. The hotel is right up there with the service and quality of the neighboring Hilton Garden Inn. I see virtually no difference. If you prefer to be right on the VT campus, this is a great location.

Families and friends visiting VA TECH will be pleased.

One thing I'd like to see in rooms: a refrigerator. Maybe the room I had did not include one but it would have been a nice addition.

Room Tip: The Gym or Workout room is on the 1st floor which is below the main entrance level which is labeled...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Runman:

Thank you for your notes regarding your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We appreciate your business and thank you for posting the comments about your visit.

We have recently ordered new flat-screen televisions for all our rooms and expect they will be installed within the next 4 to 6 weeks. We are also considering the inclusion of refrigerators in our room renovation project, which is planned for next year.

Thanks again for your comments. We hope to see you again on a future visit to Blacksburg.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pros - decent prices and decent breakfast rates. Good parking and great if you are going to be on campus a lot or have events to attend nearby.
Cons - Untrained staff, not really suited for business travelers (I am aware it is an on campus inn - but it is attached to a conference hall for crissakes). Room furnishings are dated and the quality of bedding is not quite the best.
Overall - know what you are getting into - its a standard on campus inn, not an overly professional establishment. Ok for families visiting - so there you have it.

Room Tip: 4th floor facing the golf course
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Freq_Traveler_101
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Frequent Traveller:

Thank you for staying with us at The Inn at Virginia Tech during yourr recent visit to Blacksburg. We appreciate your business and thank you for sharing the comments regarding your stay.

I'm sorry you did not feel we were well-suited for business travelers. Our location, in-room work desk, free wifi service and extensive meeting facilities are very popular with our business guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again on future visits to Blacksburg.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Kindness and integrity! They found and are sending me my ruby necklace! Thank you Laura Renfroe for finding it and seeing that it is returned to me! She could have kept it - many would have. It was my fault for leaving it. That alone would have made for a positive review... Everyone we encountered from the moment we arrived, seemed devoted to my husband, son and I having a wonderful trip.
My husband forgot to advise the Inn when we made our reservation that my son and I have severe allergies to feathers. The front desk immediately contacted housekeeping. The housekeeping manager on duty was in our room within minutes changing the bedding himself and making sure that our health was not compromised. Who does that anymore?

Stepping Out was going on downtown. The Inn ran shuttles so everyone at the Inn could go.

Every single comment, question or concern was handled directly. The Inn was booked solid - and there were several events taking place at the same time (including weddings) bu you couldn't tell. The way the Inn handled the flow and our needs it seemed like we were the only ones there all weekend.

Business or pleasure, large or small event I couldn't have asked for a more pleasent experience. I just wish I could remember everyone's name so I could thank them all.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Terry B
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Terry B -

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We are proud of our team and appreciate your efforts to recognize their service to you.

Our Housekeeper tells me your necklace was found in the hallway so you may have dropped it - rather than left it behind. In any event, I'm glad we were able to reunite you with your jewelry.

Thank you again for sharing your comments. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Blacksburg.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My fiancé and I along with about 70 other guests recently stayed at the Inn in Blacksburg for our wedding weekend. Although we were not hosting our reception at their hotel the staff was overwhelmingly kind and made us feel right at home. After our wedding day we were in a rush to get home and definitely overtired from all the wedding activities. When we got home and unpacked, I noticed I was missing two pieces of jewelry. One was a gift from my husband the day of our wedding and the other was a Swarovski necklace for our wedding day. I reached out to my bridesmaids and parents to see if they had packed with any of there things since we had so many people in and out of the suite. After a few days, I received a call from the housekeeping manager Debbie who said that her housekeeper had found jewelry and a few other items while cleaning our suite. She offered to ship the items to us and wanted to make sure they got to the right address.

Debbie's kindness and her team's honesty blew me away and I am so grateful. These items had sentimental value to me that could not be replaced. As a former hokie we will most definitely be back to visit soon again and I know we will choose to stay here. The rooms are clean and most importantly the staff is wonderful! Many thanks to Debbie and her team for the saving the day!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sophiabdc22
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Sophia:

Congratulations on your wedding! We appreciated the opportunity to accommodate you for this very special occasion.

Thank you also for recognizing the efforts of our Housekeeping staff to return the items you left behind. You would be amazed at the quantity and variety of articles guests will leave behind in their rooms. After your busy weekend, it's easy to see how this could happen. We have shared your comments with our Housekeeping crew. We hope to see you again soon in Blacksburg.
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Inn at Virginia Tech in July. The Staff was nice and provided excellent service. Our room was quiet and very comfortable, even with the rollaway bed in it! I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Travln:

Thank you for posting the notes regarding your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We were pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to the opportunity to accommmodate you again on a future visit to Blacksburg.
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

How much better is it you are welcomed with open arms in a 5 star environment that makes you feel right at home at the In at Virginia Tech? Well as a well seasoned traveler, I can tell you this is the place to stay. When those things you do not expect come up, they are prepared. I took a trip to a winery in the area and on the way home had a reaction that caused me to be in anaphalatic shock and needed guidance as I drove and with my throat closing up. They first verbally guided me back to VA tech where the athletic trainer gave me help. Then they guided me to the hospital and stayed on my phone with them for the entire time. It gets better. When I was released from the hospital I had to have some one stay with me. The security officer checked on me every hour to make sure I was breathing. She would come in my room and wake me up as was requested. The calls from staff, the delivery of my documents to my room and the tremendous welcome as I came to the lobby today has made me feeling like I am around family. This of course is in addition to the lovely rooms and very comfortable beds and elegant areas. The lounge staff do not rush you and there are cozy areas to just sit and relax through out the hotel. Thank you to Scott Rumberger, Gavin Rod, John Smith, Dana Msundwe, and Ashley Jones. I give you a 5 start rating and I have stayed in many top respected resorts . world wide and I can honestly stay Inn and Virginia Tech rivals them all. My only suggestion is up grade the soap and shampoo to a creamier version, add a pool or hot tub and you would be perfect. Thank you for helping save my life. I will stay here when ever possible. Shari

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Sharilynne -

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Blacksburg and for recognizing the extra efforts of our staff during your stay with us. They join me in thanking you for mentioning their special attention and service.

I'm sorry that your visit to the winery caused such a crisis. We are glad that you are feeling better and we look forward to accommodating you again on future visits.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Room was quiet. Close to downtown. Wonderful breakfast and a well stocked lounge.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HokieinSpartanburg
, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Hokie in Spartanburg:

Thank you for the notes about your recent stay with us. Your business is appreciated and we hope to see you again on a future visit to Blacksburg.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacksburg
Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg
Courtyard Blacksburg
#4 of 8 in Blacksburg
4.5 of 5 stars 131 reviews
Hampton Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg

Been to The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center? Share your experiences!