“BEST Ethiopian food, hidden in Blacksburg”
Review of Excellent Table

Excellent Table
Ranked #40 of 127 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Annapolis, Maryland
“BEST Ethiopian food, hidden in Blacksburg”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

To say "hidden gem" doesn't fully capture this truly special eating experience. This is a hidden, hole in the wall, restaurant, providing the best Ethiopian food I have had, ever! My children go the Virginia Tech, and we go to this place every time I am in town.

The owner/chef/waitress puts her heart into her cooking because she wants "everyone to enjoy the food" and she really means it. Ethiopian food is typically served communally, using bits of a special flat bread to scoop up your food rather than utensils (although the owner provides utensils as needed). The chef will season your food to your tastebuds, and there is truly something on the menu for everyone at The Excellent Table. The menu is constantly changing depending on what the owner can get locally. Everything tastes fresh because it is fresh.

If you are looking for a wonderful meal, and a unique eating experience, this is the place for you! There is seating for 8 to 10 inside the restaurant and a few tables right outside. BYOB but no set ups are provided. It's difficult to find; it's just to the left of the REAR entrance to Champs Sports Bar.

• Visited July 2014

“Great food. A hidden gem downtown.”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We just ate at Excellent Table and it was fantastic! It was our first time eating Ethiopian food and we weren't disappointed. The WONDERFUL owner was so helpful as we were trying to figure out what to get and we were even given samples to try. The place is small, but very cozy and located just behind the downtown farmers market parking area.

From what we can tell and have read, the menu changes to keep things fresh but everything sounded and tasted great.

We definitely recommend eating at the Excellent Table the next time you're in Blacksburg or just looking for a great meal.

• Visited January 2014
Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
“Excellent Ethiopian cuisine!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My husband and I have eaten at Excellent Table several times and in comparison to some D.C. Ethiopian places, this place is wonderful. The owner is very sweet and helpful, and the food is delicious!

Visited November 2013
Pearisburg, Virginia
“Now That was Refreshing!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I probably will never have a chance to travel to Ethiopia, but I can say that I've enjoyed its food! Located in the Farmer's Market area in downtown Blacksburg, this hole in the wall, take-out-only restaurant, deserves praise. The fare is wholesome, not too spicy or 'weird,' and you feel like you've eaten authentic food from another land. The owner/chef is Ethiopian, so it is indeed the real thing! Town-provided tables are nearby, so an Ethiopian picnic makes an enjoyable evening on the town.

Visited August 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
“Friendly Service and Excellent Food!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

My friends and I are your average college freshmen. We have very little money and big appetites. One of my friends wanted to bring us to a local Ethiopian restaurant. Everyone was skeptical, even when we saw the building. The restaurant is very tiny itself, but is run by the nicest lady. She was the owner and loved what she did. She cooked all of the food herself and even told us that we could sample the dishes before we ordered. After tasting a few dishes, we decided to order a 12" plate (feeds 3-4 people). We had a party of 7, so we ordered two 12" plates. One plate had spicy food, while the other had mild food. The chicken was fantastic! The beef was tender and juicy! It was just an amazing experience. She served our food very fast and man was it good! I would recommend this to anyone living or visiting the Blacksburg area!

• Visited April 2013