“Thai???”

Cafe Mekong
Ranked #25 of 160 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visiting Blacksburg to go to the Oasis, International Food Store, and looking for a good lunch spot...had not been in Blacksburg in many years. There used to be some fairly good restaurants and a few good ethnic restaurants. This was the worst Asian, Thai, Chinese or whatever restaurant I've ever been to...a very greasy fried spring roll. Tasted okay after I sponged it off with several napkins. I ordered Drunken Noodles with Chicken--had no Thai basil or any other basil, very weak spices, huge chucks of almost raw green peppers. It had no taste. My husband had Massaman Curry with Tofu. Very thin sauce. No hint of being made with coconut milk. Again, almost tasteless. $26 later. Don't go here for Asian food. Go next door to Oasis and buy a frozen thingie that's calling itself anything Asian, take it home and microwave it and your money. Service was okay and it was quick.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (98)

Reviewed September 12, 2019 via mobile

We ordered two different dishes but both had more than enough large pieces of green pepper. Wished the vegetables varied a little more.
Very nice sauces for both dishes. Would definitely go again. Friendly fast service.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 7, 2019 via mobile

I’m on a mission to try to find decent Pad Thai. So far, in Roanoke and Blacksburg, I have struck out.

Mekong gets the award for the worst so far. It had absolutely no flavor, just the taste of the noodles. It was a generous portion, but a lot of nothing is still nothing.

The staff were friendly and helpful, but I won’t be back.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed June 19, 2019

The service was excellent. My chicken pad thai had no flavor or sauce to help give it a better rating. Husband said the Pho was okay, could have used more meat in the serving. Will try again though.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed January 5, 2019 via mobile

I am rerating this restaurant after a visit today. Their Bún and Pho are consistently, and my sister and I have come in separately and enjoyed the different curries - very good. Today I went with Pad Thai with shrimp. It was as good as any I ever ate at any exclusively Thai restaurant, including Los Angeles where I lived 10 years.

Servers are friendly and attentive. The food, even though cooked fresh to order, comes out quickly in slower hours, but still fast when the place is fully packed, which seems to occur at all of the mealtime hours I have been here. Being in a college town it has a diverse clientele, which I enjoy, as you don’t see much of that in my rural town. I don’t want to sound bigoted, but I notice many Asian young people and families here, which I usually take as a good sign that this type food is prepared well and has authentic flavors.

Despite being a small cafe in a strip mall, the food would meet the standards of an expensive, formal restaurant. One of my top 3 faves im the area

Date of visit: January 2019

Been to Cafe Mekong? Share your experiences!