“A mixed bag”
Review of 622 North

622 North
Reserve with OpenTable
622 North is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 127 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“A mixed bag”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

My family at here tonight, curious as to what used to be Bogens is now like and intrigued by the menu.
The staff was very friendly and attentive. Some of the food was really good, but my entree was really disappointing. I had the garlic chicken. I couldn't taste garlic anywhere in the dish. The chicken was overcooked and under seasoned, while the manicotti was undercooked and hard. The plate was drowned in the vinaigrette from the salad. So I would perhaps skip that. My husband's chorizo burger was really fantastic, though. The fries were had a nice crispness to them.
So, all in all, not a bad experience.

• Visited August 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“622 to the Rescue”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I'm a foodie with food allergies...an unfortunate combination. Traveling can be a nightmare. I had to drop my son off at a sports camp at Virginia Tech this week, and ended up hungry and nervous in Blacksburg. Where could I get great food? How could I deal with my allergies? Blacksburg is full of cute college dives, but that wasn't what i was looking for. Thank goodness for the magic of the Internet. A search led me to 622 North, and I couldn't have asked for a better meal. Fantastic food, great wine, superb service...everything was just excellent. If you're in the area, check this place out. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Pecadora
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Still not worth the money”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My sister and I went to 622 North for our Wednesday night outing. We had been there once before and were not that pleased with either the service or our meal. We did see potential, but the execution was poor. So, we decided to try it again, hoping they had improved.
We were seated and greeted by our server right away. Our server was unkempt, even dirty, but seemed to know his stuff. The wine list is not that good for a wine bar. The prices are marked up more than most restaurants. We ordered an inexpensive Pinot that I was familiar with. We decided to go with a small plate followed by an entree. I ordered onion jam for the small plate, my sister ordered a corn and Gouda chowder. The chowder had the consistency of library paste, and the onion jam was nothing but soft onions with a little vinegar. It was served with the equivalent of Texas toast. For my entree, I ordered the ravioli with pesto. The ratio of pasta and filling was way off, much too much pasta dough, and hardly any filling. The chef tried to counter that with a very oily pesto. It dominated the dish rather than complemented it. My sister ordered salmon with a sweet potato and mustard crust. Sound weird? Well, it was, not a combination that worked at all.
To end this I will say that 622 North does not live up to its billing. It was way overpriced for the poor execution. They need a new chef.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Deni22
Blacksburg, VA
“A pleasant and quiet dinner”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I had dinner there this evening. I had Shrimp ravioli (moderate portions but the ravioli was of high quality and the visual presentation was very very good) and she had a chicken breast with Manicotti (also of very good quality). For desert we had cherry tart with Homestead Ice Cream- probably the best cherry tart/cobbler/pie that I have ever had.
I would describe the place as 'upscale casual' where I was perfectly happy to wear shorts and a nice t-shirt (wife t-shirt and jeans) but it would be equally well suited to a formal party. The cost was NOT extortionate (2 entrees, 2 deserts, 1 appetizer $45).

Previously, my daughter had gone here for a pre-prom dinner and had found it satisfactory.

• Visited June 2013
Christiansburg, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place for a nice dinner (or lunch, or drink!)”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have lived in the Blacksburg area for over three years now. Since we moved here from DC we were interested in how the restaurant scene would compare. 622 is one of the few "nice" restaurants- with a great wine bar, and we have always been satisfied with our meal. They have everything from pizzas (a great meal or appetizer), Duck, and even some amazing desserts. Their wine and beer menus are amazing, and they are even connected (and own?) what I would call a dive bar (Frank's) next door- which has one of the best beer menus in town and holds various Tap Takeovers by famous breweries such as Dogfish Head. I highly recommend this as a date night, visit from the parents, or girls/guys night out.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Bequie

Been to 622 North? Share your experiences!