New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Always a disappointment” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of 622 North

622 North
Reserve with OpenTable
622 North is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 125 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
“Always a disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I've given 622 North several tries and each time they have failed. Usually slow service and food that fails to impress or even please. I've had errors in my orders, wait staff that apologize but don't make an effort to make it right. Given how long it takes to get served, I have never been patient enough to wait for them to go and prepare what I actually ordered. I've simply stopped going there.

Visited June 2012
Sam C, General Manager at 622 North, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Ken,
I first would like to apologize for your unsatisfactory experiences at 622 North. We take pride in serving exceptional food and providing excellent service and there is absolutely no excuse for this to happen once, much less on more than one occasion. I would like to invite you and a guest back to give 622 North another try. If you will take me up on my offer, please send me an email at info@622north.com so I can make arrangements.

Sam Catron

“VA's best wines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

The waiter was knowledgeable on all of the wines and brought our order with speed and grace. The couches were comfy and I felt as if I was at home being pampered.

Visited November 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Tasty Food, Nice Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was our first visit, and it was for our anniversary. The food was excellent and the service was professional. My wife had the braised short ribs, which were tender and tasty. I had the pork chop special, which was super moist (I am hesitant to order pork when eating out because it is often overcooked) and had a delicious sauce (cranberry, thyme, rosemary, lavender, stilton cream sauce). The vegetable of the day was fresh green beans. For my taste, they were slightly undercooked, but for many people they were probably perfect. The mashed potatoes were flavorful and had a nice consistency. The wine list is pretty extensive, but the wine-by-the-glass selection is fairly limited. They have a great selection of draft beers (15).I had read a review about the potato rounds and was anxious to try them, but they were sold out. They have some appetizers for one person and some that serve two, which is a nice option. I had garlic and asiago soup, which was delicious. I was very pleased with my selection of this restaurant to celebrate our anniversary, and we will definitely return--especially to try the Sunday brunch.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Bad risoto”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I went to 622 North once for dinner and haven't had the courage to come back. I'll tell you why: They are supposed to be a fine dining restaurant, so I ordered a risotto.When it arrived with raw, crunchy rice, I politely asked that they finished cooking it. So, after talking to the people in the kitchen, the server came back with my plate, explained that the risotto came from one big risotto pot and they couldn't bring me another plate because it would taste exactly the same and, to make matters worse, the server said my risotto was supposed to be crunchy! So, let's summarize the problems: (1) everyone's risotto made in one huge pot (are you serious?), (2) customer is wrong to point out the raw rice in it, and (3) no apologies or substitutions allowed.

• Visited April 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Too many menu changes to manage”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is my second review of 622 and I have to say that things have gone downhill. For one, they ruined their crab caskes with the addition of CHORIZO!! I mean seriously??? The latest iteration of their menu has chorizo everywhere and for someone who only eats fish and really enjoyed their crabcakes this was a total loss. And their potato rounds used to be much more flavorful and interesting...now just chopped up potatoes. They also don't take reservatons, but when we went a party of 40 had reserved the entire restaurant (on a Saturday night) and we were told we could only eat at a table next to the entryway. Well by the time we ate had drinks and paid our bill, the party reserving the main dining area still hadn't arrived.

• Visited January 2013
Sam C, General Manager at 622 North, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Customer,
First, I would like to thank you for your feedback. Without critical feedback we can not identify some problems that we have in the restaurant and I sincerely appreciate you letting us know about your experience at 622 North. I would like to encourage you to try 622 North again, We have changed our menu to be more pescetarian friendly by adding a salmon entree, tuna entree and a vegetarian ravioli dish. We do not take reservations, but we do offer call ahead service. Give us a call 1-2 hours before you would like to sit down and we will hold a table for you. We did recognize the awkward seating area in the entryway and moved the couches from the wine bar to the entryway and added 50% more seating in that area of the dining room. It also created a nice space to wait and have a cocktail if you have to wait to be seated. I hope you give us another chance in the future and please ask your server to let me know when you do. Thank you.