“Good concept, only average execution” 3 of 5 stars
Review of 622 North

622 North
Reserve with OpenTable
622 North is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 119 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Good concept, only average execution”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I visited 622 North for a Friday evening dinner. We liked the atmosphere, the tables were white tablecloth, but with a paper cover. There was piano music that was very enjoyable. We didn't order from the entree menu. I ordered the risotto cake as a starter, then the mediterranean salad. My husband ordered BBQ rubbed creamy chicken soup, and the 7 inch buffalo chicken pizza. I loved the risotto cake. It had an excellent tomato sauce with lots of basil. the cake itself was made from risotto cooked al dente. It was sitting on a sweet onion puree. The flavors really worked. My salad was only average. The chicken was very dry and hard to chew. I should have sent it back, but didn't. My husbands pizza was good. His chicken was moist and spicy, and the gargonzola cheese was just the thing to complement it. However, his soup was without chicken. It was just the creamy broth, which was flavorful, but it needed a few bites of chicken to live up to it's billing. I ordered a glass of pinot noir from their rather limited offerings. As a wine bar also, I felt they should have more" by the glass" choices. That said, my wine was good.
Our server was there when we needed him, but not very well trained. He forgot to tell us the dinner specials until we asked, and in general was not knowledgable about the food. He always seemed to be hurrying and even ran at one time. He made the job look hard. All in all, it was a nice meal at a fair price. I hope the chef can get more consistant with food quality, and do a better job with server training.

• Visited July 2012

Frederick
“Ranked #21 in Blacksburg? Really? Totally Wrong!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

A dining partner and I recently 'discovered' this little gem, having had it recommended by a restaurateur whose establishment in Blacksburg is ranked above this one! While the space is not large and 622 displays no franchise mentality, the place deserves a much wider following. Wake up, Blacksburg!

Billed as a restaurant and wine bar, the space is unique, arranged in two triangular shapes on two levels in the main area with niches for dining elsewhere as well as a larger room behind the one we were in. The lower level had nothing less than a live pianist.

As we dined, the late afternoon light passed through yellow-tinted windows above the area in which we set, adding a pleasing glow to the area. White tablecloths added an unexpected touch. Parking is plentiful in the rear.

My dining partner and I had heard the joys of a Peruvian drink (we think) earlier in the afternoon from friends who had visited there recently. Consequently, we wanted to try Pisco Sours. The bar staff was not acquainted with this drink, but they rose to the occasion, fixing a delightful libation that we found on our iPhone. They apologized that they did not have the specific brandy used in the Pisco Sours. Our friend had mentioned that the brandy is hard to get in the States.

Dinner was outstanding - rib eye with local salad and risotto cakes with tomato sauce. The emphasis on local ingredients was underscored as we discussed with our especially attentive waitress what we wanted. Vegetable sides depended on what was at the local market that morning!

Because we had appetizers - spicy and delicious mushrooms stuffed with chorizo and a sliced avocado drizzled with deliciousness - we had no room for dessert.

We dine often in Blacksburg and have been to several of the restaurants rated more highly than 622 North. Several of those we have been to repeatedly. 622 North deserves better than Trip Advisor readers are giving it. We will definitely be back. Marvelous special occasion place, too. Great job, 622 North!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Duvel11Frederick
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“go for comedy nights on wednesdays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

went here for comedy night on a number of Wednesday nights at their bar. Cheap drinks and good stand up comedy. Plenty of parking off of the ally behind the restaurant.

• Visited May 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Solid food at a great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Crab cakes for $16.99. I never see crab cakes on a menu for less than $20 and these were fab! Great beer options, could work on their wines.

Visited June 2012
Pittston, PA
“Nice Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Had a nice dinner at 622 North. It was a rehersal dinner, with limited menu, everything that everyone ate was very good to outstanding. Service was good, it seemed as they were a bit overwhelmed by the Irish wedding and its' guests. At least the bartender and waitstaff were.

Once we got down to dinner however, a very nice salad was served with a variety of breads and dips. I chose the chicken Parmasean, which was really quite good. Being a 250 pounder Irishman, I could have eaten about 4 of them, but certainly my fault not theirs. The desert was key lime pie or tiramisu. neither (i had both) were particularly good.

However, really had a nice time and the food everyone ate as excellent.

A very nice bar underneath (not associated) took care of the wedding party with light appetizers and free flowing booze till the late, late night.

Nice time