“Greek fast food in a great college town.”
Review of Souvlaki

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

A tradition since my first stop in Blacksburg in the mid - 80s. This place is where I had my first gyro... and no other place I've been to in nearly 30 years even comes close. The restaurant is small, so don't expect a seat during busy weekends (like game days). Somehow, it doesn't matter. The food comes quickly.

Over time, the restaurant has changed the way it serves their gyros (they used to be wrapped in paper and foil and given with the instructions "peel, don't unwrap"). Now, it seems, it comes with just a paper wrapper. This makes it messier to eat the gyro, but the sandwich is no less tasty for lacking the extra layer of wrap. The gyro meat is warm, tasty, and has the classic slightly crunchy texture of spit roasted meat. The cucumber sauce is cooling. The whole wrap is a perfect balance.

The curly fries are a perfect accompaniment. If you like a lot of salt, you may need to add more... but I think the fries are just fine as they are.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I loved this place once in a while while I was a student at VT. You can leave very full for $10-12, less if you're smaller than my 6'2" self. No frills here. Plain decor. But low prices and tasty food. Can't beat what you're getting for the price. Not very fast and not open late are probably the only downsides to this place.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had found this restaraunt while planning a college visit with my son. I had read some reviews that were not flattering regarding service. My experience was great. The food was fresh and tasty and the service was outstanding. I recommend Souvlaki for quick good food.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

The food is really, really good. It's basically Greek fast food -- pitas, gyros, etc. -- but it is wonderful. Prices are quite reasonable, and servings are a good size, though not huge. This is your typical college town hole-in-the-wall restaurant. No atmosphere, just a few tables and really good food. It's the kind of place that, 20 years after leaving Tech, alumni reminisce, "Remember that great little Greek place we used to go to all the time?"

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I love their cucumber dip and the grilled pita! Souvlaki is great food for very low prices. Everything I have had here is good, its a two minute walk from the Virginia Tech campus. I have come here with friends many times and I'm always happy. Quick service for takeout. Seating in the restaurant is limited but I have usually been able to get a seat.