“Decent Sushi for Blacksburg”

Green's Grill & Sushi Bar
Ranked #25 of 126 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Virginia
“Decent Sushi for Blacksburg”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Went here once freshmen year to get my sushi fix. You can order ahead which is nice however the sushi wasn't anything above average. Might be back to try some other things on the menu.

• Visited February 2012

Blacksburg, Virginia
“Tasty, creative sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was one of our favorite spots in Blacksburg. The sushi here is delicious! They have the rolls you'd expect, and several creative combinations, too. Not a traditional Japanese experience, but it's great. Check out the weekly specials, too--some nights it's a free sushi upgrade, some nights it's discounted wine, etc. Dinner here and then a movie at the Lyric next door? That's a great evening.

Visited November 2011
Suffolk, Virginia
“Something for everybody?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Along the restaurants on College Avenue lies Green's Grill and Sushi Bar. Don't miss the entrance, it is just off to the side. Although they say "Grill and Sushi" is NOT a teppanyaki grill with the theatrical Japanese chef: if that is what you are looking for, go elsewhere. Green's has great salads, above-average sushi, a very good selection of cold bottled beers, a few nice wine selections, and a staff that is eager to please. The portions are generous without being overwhelming. I especially liked the eponymous "Green's Salad," with romaine, avocado, spinach, pineapples, walnuts, lemon juice, and EVOO. The family dug-in on the Pita Pesto Pizza. Great stuff!

• Visited September 2012
Christiansburg, Virginia
“The best fries ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you are in the Blacksburg area, you have to try Green's. I am not a sushi person, but my boys are and they say it is excellent. I go for the burgers and fries. The fries are tempera dipped and have a crispy outer coating that is so good you just have to have another. They also have a fish and chips appetizer that I sometimes get for a meal with a side salad. The burgers are always yummie. The Green's burger with avocado is superb. It is in a college town, so the atmosphere is very casual and when the students are around it can get loud. I love the charm of a college town and the young energy, so it adds to the enjoyment of lunch or dinner.

Visited July 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Reviews brought high expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was looking for somewhere different to take my sister for lunch on her birthday. In Blacksburg, there are a lot of restaurants, but most cater to the college crowd. That usually means burgers, pizza, and cheap beer. I looked at the reviews for Greens Grill and Sushi bar, and decided to try it. I had walked by many times but never stopped, because it is small and the ambiance is coffee shop. However,In several websites, the reviewers raved about the food so I decided it deserved a visit. Their menu has a limited choice of nigiri sushi, lots of sushi rolls, burgers, subs, salads, and one turkish entree, and one indian entree. They offer wine and beer with lots of beer choices and a limited wine list.
The tables are crowded together, but on the day we went, there were only a few patrons, so we had some elbow room. We ordered a bottle of the house pinot grigio for the 3 of us, and were frankly disappointed. The wine was weak, and a little sour. Next time, we will order one of the more expensive bottles.
We decided on Sushi, and ordered 4 nigiri, and 2 rolls. I like eel, and the server told us that they didn't have eel and were substituting tilapia. They only offered 4 choices for the non-vegetarian nigiri, and to be out of one was poor planning.
The sushi was very good. It was as good as any I have had in Blacksburg. I can't say it is better than the Saki House, but it was definitely less expensive and just as good. Of course, Saki House has a great deal more choice.
I will eat there again when I feel like having sushi in a very casual setting.
I can't give this place a 4 or 5 star rating because the service was slow, and they didn't have a very important menu item. There were a lot of vegetarian sushi choices for those who don't want to eat raw fish. I would bet that they are good also.

• Visited July 2012