“Nice but .........”

Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Blacksburg
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I love staying at most Hilton Garden Inn. This one was good as well. The service was VERY GOOD. The breakfast was great! The location was ideal!!!! The rooms were clean however, the noise level was unacceptable! When my friend checked out the reviews, someone wrote that the hotel had a noise problem and they recommend getting a room on the top floor. OMG!!!! I should have listen to her! We stayed on the 2nd floor and we could hear every foot step that the people made staying above us!!!!! Not only that, when someone would use the card key to get into their room, it sounds like they were entering our room as well???? I am not sure that I could recommend this hotel. Yes, if you get a room on the top floor????

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MYBBS

Reviewed January 18, 2011

I've stayed at dozens of HGI's and Hamptons. This hotel was very well run from the cleanliness of the rooms, comfort of the bed, strong wifi, nice fitness facility and pool. However, there was one glaring omission from the service I've come to expect from Hilton properties. The breakfast offering was pathetic. It was as if everyone called out and they were trying to throw something out there. Normally there is a spread of dry cereals. Today there were two boxes. Normally there is a nice spread of yogurts and freshly cut fruit over ice. Today there were a few plain yogurts on the metal trays with no ice and no fruit. The "waiter" was also the server. I witnessed a number of people ask him if they are open and he just ignored them. A few minutes later he would ask what they wanted.

I assume that the breakfast spread was an unusual mistake. Everything else was terrific.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Super duper Hotel.

Great staff. Great food. Great time.

Comfy dial a bed sleep control.

I felt like I was at my home away from home.

Muy Excellente!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2010

Great room. Clean. Helpful professional staff. Comfy.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last couple of months. Overall, I am pleased and would stay here again. While the location is a bit off the beaten path, the property is new and the rates are reasonable.

First, my two main complaints, ... once I booked a rate that included breakfast in the restaurant in the lobby. They were seriously under-staffed and it took a while for our food to arrive, not to mention the tables still had dirty dishes on them. Perhaps it was a combination of a couple of conferences going on, as well as the start of New Cadet Week at Virginia Tech (VT). Nevertheless, a good manager should be aware of these events and staff accordingly. My second complaint is that the construction between floors is a bit thin. You can hear your neighbors walking above you. If this is going to really bother you, ... ask for the top floor. On the other hand, the construction between rooms seems pretty good.

I like the fact that this is a new property, so the furnishings are fresh. It's not really walking distance to the VT campus or Blacksburg Main Street, but parking is generally not a problem in town, so it's only a short drive. On the plus side- since it's a chain hotel you will earn your loyalty points (Hilton Honors).

The rooms are good sized, and there is free wi-fi, a microwave and refrigerator in each room. The room had great climate control (thermal comfort is one of my pet peeves). So this is a huge plus for the hotel. Heads up- the hotel laundromat is very small. There are only a couple/few washers and dryers, so get there early.

Since our son is attending VT we will be coming down often to visit over the next four years. Consequently, I will probably be like Goldilocks, ... looking for that bed that is just right. However, I would stay here again. Go Hokies !!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2010

While I was staying here I had a stack of 12 DVDs. I left and came back and I only had 10. I went downstairs to complain, didn't accuse anyone just said "someone" and even the clerk that night filled in the blanks and said the maids probably nabbed it. I was told to come back at 7am because the house keeping was gone for the night. So I set my alarm, go down at 7, wait for almost 20 min before I am helped and told that the maids will be talked to and that I will receive a phone call at 7:30am by the latest. 8:00 comes and goes and still no phone call. I go back downstairs, wait another 15 min before the manager takes me to the back and informs me with "100 % certainty" no one on his staff stole my DVDs. He was completely patronizing, totally unconcerned, and over all just a huge jerk about it. I asked how he was 100% certain, when he was not in the room while she was cleaning and he got annoyed, could not answer me, and eventually asked me to leave. I'm incredibly disappointed. Its not the DVDs or the $40 value that ticks me off, its the blatant and obvious theft, followed by the lack of concern by the supervisor. Never again will I stay here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank helium123
Reviewed September 26, 2010

Pros: Newer property so everything was in great shape and clean. Very nice people who worked with us on some kinks in our reservation and were great around the hotel. Breakfast was really good. I thojught the location right next to 460 was actually a good thing...others might disagree (you aren't more than a 3-minute drive to campus).

Cons: None, really. The restaurant got a little messy during the breakfast rush, but it was no big deal. The hot tub could be about 10 degrees warmer.

Will definitely stay there again when we return in the Spring.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacksburg
Hyatt Place Blacksburg/University
The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Blacksburg - University Area
Comfort Inn Blacksburg
Comfort Inn Blacksburg
#8 of 10 in Blacksburg
Residence Inn Blacksburg-University
Hampton Inn Christiansburg/Blacksburg

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg? Share your experiences!