New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Cafe de Bangkok
Ranked #99 of 125 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Cafe de Bangkok serves modern Thai cuisine and specialty drinks in downtown Blacksburg, Virginia.
Camden, Arkansas
“Not the best Thai food, very hard to find restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have eaten on many Thai restaurants in and around Australia and this restaurant was disappointing. The food was just ok, but the service was pretty good, as the only dinner customers were myself and a business associate. Odd location for a resturant in Blackburg. Took us a long time to find it, even with the address (didn't have GPS).

• Visited June 2013
Pie C, Owner at Cafe de Bangkok, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
We're sad to hear our food didn't live up to expectations, Rick. We pride ourselves on our authentic and flavorful Thai dishes. We'll be sure to have a word with the kitchen staff to make sure our qualities are shining through. On another note, We're glad you were impressed with our service. We hope you'll give us another chance, we're certain we can give you a meal you'll truly enjoy.

Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I love Thai food. A year in Thailand during the Vietnam war completely affected my tastes for food so that whenever or wherever I can, I look for some of the same spiciness and zip found in Thai Cuisine. Always looking for a great bowl of kow pad (pronounced cow pot) I was excited to find an additional Thai restaurant nearby that I didn't know about. I went today and found why it is not well known. Not Good. They did serve a tasty near resemblance to Thai Tea which the menu stated was with free refills. Waitress came around and refilled our water glasses but even with two empty glasses sitting on the table, did not offer additional tea and it was the only good thing about the meal. I ordered Cashew Chicken for my wife and it did look good on the plate and as it did on the menu. However, the white rice was cold...Not "room temperature" cold but cold, like it had been refrigerated. The cashews had the consistency of "boiled peanuts" and were tasteless. The sauce, if that is what it was supposed to be, was no thicker than the water in my glass. The chunks of chicken and pineapple were warm but not very tasty. It's as if everything was prepared in bulk earlier in the day or week, microwaved and then arranged on the plate. Then there was the disaster that was my meal...Thi Pad Noodles. The menu offered chicken, beef, or pork and for an additional $3.89, Shrimp or Squid. I distinctly ordered shrimp instead of chicken but when the waitress arrived, I found 3 small shrimp on the plate with 3 small cubes of chicken hidden beneath the noodles. On the edge of the plate was a small pile of crushed peanuts and the plate was garnished with a few slivers of raw cabbage and a raw coin-shaped carrot slice. I asked for an additional serving of soy sauce to add to the noodles because though they had good color and consistency, they were tasteless. I found one small bit of a sliced green onion in the entire plate. We waited for several minutes for our waitress to return for a second time to bring our check but she never did. I had to approach the bar on the other side of the restaurant to indicate we had finished our meal and after a few minutes, the waitress, who appeared to be the only staff in the near empty restaurant (only one other couple was in the restaurant the entire time we were there) finished the conversation she was having on her cell phone and we resolved our bill. I indicated to the waitress that I would not be paying for the shrimp on my entree because I had only gotten 3 and that I had asked for the shrimp and not chicken. She removed the extra charge for the shrimp. My suggestion is that if you want good Thai food stay as far away from this cafe as Blacksburg is from Thailand

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Kenneth R
Pie C, Owner at Cafe de Bangkok, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
As a restaurant which prides itself on the flavors and quality of our Thai food, you can imagine how disheartening your review was to read through, Kenneth. I can assure you cold, flavorless dishes are not what we're known for and I'll be reviewing your comments with the staff immediately.

I wish you had voiced your disappointment at the time of your visit, we would have been happy to refire the order, or replace it with something more to your liking. And although you should not have to ask for more Thai Tea, if you had, we would have been more than happy to refill it for you. While I understand your dissatisfaction, I hope you can give us another chance.. I'm certain we can give you a much better experience.

Lansdowne, Virginia
“Great food but slowest service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Went here with family because it was recommened and I love Thai food. There was like no one there when we walked in but then it got a little busy later. We ordered soft drinks and those took 15 minutes to come out! Then we ordered food and I got panaang curry which I loved, but it took over 45 minutes for the food to come. It was ridiculous. The server was so nice but she was so busy since she was the only one working which wasn't smart or considerate on managers part. We waited for our drinks to be refilled for a long time. I can't blame the server since she was taking care of every table but management needs to do something. The food should NOT take as long as it did and they need to make sure all guests are ok on drinks and everything else. I read these reviews here about the service being slow and it really is, something needs to be done! The food was great and I will come back but the service and time for food really needs to be taken care of. Take notes managers!!!

• Visited May 2013
Pie C, Owner at Cafe de Bangkok, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
While we're delighted to hear you were impressed with our Panaang Curry, it's upsetting to know our service fell short. We try our best to be appropriately staffed, but there are times when we get unexpected rushes. I'm sorry you caught us on one of these days! You're right, 45 minutes is far too long to wait for your order. If it serves as any consolation, all our dishes are cooked to order which can account for some of the delay. I hope you'll still think of us when you're craving Thai fare, we'd love to have you again.

Christiansburg, Virginia
“Slow Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Let me start by saying that I have limited experience with Thai food, so I can't vouch for authenticity. We've eaten at Cafe de Bangkok 4 or 5 times over the past five years, and we've always been pleased with the flavor and quantity of the food. They are accommodating as far as vegetarian and gluten-free options, and will cheerfully find out about and modify ingredients for you. Unfortunately, every time we've gone it has taken an undue amount of time to be served. We went to eat there last night and arrived about 8:15. In the main dining room there were four or five occupied tables. Ten minutes to get seated, 5 or 10 minutes to place our orders, another 10 minutes to get our water, and then...nothing. We talked, drank our water, waited some more. Around 9:00, I noticed that there were 4 tables of customers left - one couple was lingering, their dinners finished. At the other three tables, ours included, NO ONE HAD FOOD. Everyone looked a little strained. How can you have a restaurant where no one has anything to eat? No explanation or apologies from the wait staff. Our appetizers were brought out at about 9:10, our dinners 10 minutes later. We always enjoy their food, but unless I read about dramatic changes in staffing or management we will not return unless it's for takeout, and even then I'd plan for it to take a good hour or so after placing the order to get it.

• Visited November 2012
Pie C, Owner at Cafe de Bangkok, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I'm sorry to hear you've experienced such slow service when dining with us, Joanne. Especially since you enjoy our food so much. I know some time has passed, but we're just getting active on TripAdvisor. We've been working hard to provide our customers with more efficient service and your feedback will prove helpful as we move forward. I hope you've given us another chance since, we'd hate to lose you as a customer!

Radford, Virginia
“Very slow service and food has got worse since my last visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tried the restaurant with my wife. We shared an appetizer and two main courses. The meat was fried and tough and chewy, the sauces are watery, and in general the food is certainly not Thai. The quality of the food has got much worse since my last visit and the waitress though helpful was not able to keep up with the orders and ended up waiting 3/4 of our hour to get our food. The chef is not trained to cook Thai food and was more throw it in grease and hope it comes out. Flavours were very lacking and meat was tough.
Not worth coming here unless the chef knows how to cook real Thai food with real flavour and there are more staff.

• Visited November 2012
Pie C, Owner at Cafe de Bangkok, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
As a restaurant which prides itself on the taste and quality of our authentic Thai fare, you can imagine how disheartening your review was to read through, Martin. It sounds like you caught us on an off night your second time around. I can assure you our chef is very well-trained and experienced in cooking Thai fare, we'll have to make sure that's shining through more.

As for our service, we know it can be slow at times. This is something we're working hard to improve upon. With that said, your feedback is always appreciated and we hope you can give us another chance. We know we can give you a better impression.