“Great food but slowest service!”
Review of Cafe de Bangkok

Cafe de Bangkok
Ranked #103 of 127 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Cafe de Bangkok serves modern Thai cuisine and specialty drinks in downtown Blacksburg, Virginia.
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Went here with family because it was recommened and I love Thai food. There was like no one there when we walked in but then it got a little busy later. We ordered soft drinks and those took 15 minutes to come out! Then we ordered food and I got panaang curry which I loved, but it took over 45 minutes for the food to come. It was ridiculous. The server was so nice but she was so busy since she was the only one working which wasn't smart or considerate on managers part. We waited for our drinks to be refilled for a long time. I can't blame the server since she was taking care of every table but management needs to do something. The food should NOT take as long as it did and they need to make sure all guests are ok on drinks and everything else. I read these reviews here about the service being slow and it really is, something needs to be done! The food was great and I will come back but the service and time for food really needs to be taken care of. Take notes managers!!!

Pie C, Owner at Cafe de Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

While we're delighted to hear you were impressed with our Panaang Curry, it's upsetting to know our service fell short. We try our best to be appropriately staffed, but there are times when we get unexpected rushes. I'm sorry you caught us on one of these days! You're right, 45 minutes is far too long to wait for your order. If it serves as any consolation, all our dishes are cooked to order which can account for some of the delay. I hope you'll still think of us when you're craving Thai fare, we'd love to have you again.

There are newer reviews for Cafe de Bangkok

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Let me start by saying that I have limited experience with Thai food, so I can't vouch for authenticity. We've eaten at Cafe de Bangkok 4 or 5 times over the past five years, and we've always been pleased with the flavor and quantity of the food. They are accommodating as far as vegetarian and gluten-free options, and will cheerfully find out about and modify ingredients for you. Unfortunately, every time we've gone it has taken an undue amount of time to be served. We went to eat there last night and arrived about 8:15. In the main dining room there were four or five occupied tables. Ten minutes to get seated, 5 or 10 minutes to place our orders, another 10 minutes to get our water, and then...nothing. We talked, drank our water, waited some more. Around 9:00, I noticed that there were 4 tables of customers left - one couple was lingering, their dinners finished. At the other three tables, ours included, NO ONE HAD FOOD. Everyone looked a little strained. How can you have a restaurant where no one has anything to eat? No explanation or apologies from the wait staff. Our appetizers were brought out at about 9:10, our dinners 10 minutes later. We always enjoy their food, but unless I read about dramatic changes in staffing or management we will not return unless it's for takeout, and even then I'd plan for it to take a good hour or so after placing the order to get it.

Pie C, Owner at Cafe de Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

I'm sorry to hear you've experienced such slow service when dining with us, Joanne. Especially since you enjoy our food so much. I know some time has passed, but we're just getting active on TripAdvisor. We've been working hard to provide our customers with more efficient service and your feedback will prove helpful as we move forward. I hope you've given us another chance since, we'd hate to lose you as a customer!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tried the restaurant with my wife. We shared an appetizer and two main courses. The meat was fried and tough and chewy, the sauces are watery, and in general the food is certainly not Thai. The quality of the food has got much worse since my last visit and the waitress though helpful was not able to keep up with the orders and ended up waiting 3/4 of our hour to get our food. The chef is not trained to cook Thai food and was more throw it in grease and hope it comes out. Flavours were very lacking and meat was tough.
Not worth coming here unless the chef knows how to cook real Thai food with real flavour and there are more staff.

Pie C, Owner at Cafe de Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

As a restaurant which prides itself on the taste and quality of our authentic Thai fare, you can imagine how disheartening your review was to read through, Martin. It sounds like you caught us on an off night your second time around. I can assure you our chef is very well-trained and experienced in cooking Thai fare, we'll have to make sure that's shining through more.

As for our service, we know it can be slow at times. This is something we're working hard to improve upon. With that said, your feedback is always appreciated and we hope you can give us another chance. We know we can give you a better impression.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I tried lunch at the restaurant. There was one other couple when we arrived at 1.30 on a Saturday. The order was taken within five minutes by a friendly and attentive waitress. However, the crowds came in and it ended up that we had to wait 45 minutes for our food. We tried the Chicken Satay as an appetizer. Normally it is cooked over charcoal but this was deep fried and tough and the sauce was like water with a few pieces of nuts in it. Rather tasteless and not certainly not a satay sauce! (I drank the sauce at the end of the meal and that was about the only good thing that was served!) My wife tried the Tom Yum shrimp and there was nothing Thai about it. I took classes in Thailand on Tom Yum soup and several other dishes. This was sweet, and tasted nothing like real Tom Yum soup. Disappointing. I tried the Pad See Ew Chicken and this should have been served very hot and it was rather tasteless. The noodles were OK, chicken was tough and chewy (deep fried) and the sauce was very oily on your palate. Meal came to 22.27 for three items with water as our beverage. The chef came out as we were leaving and he was very young and looked totally inexperienced.
A couple of people walked out after waiting quite some time to get served. One waitress and one cook for about thirty people was nowhere enough staff to take care of the needs of the customers. They are defined as Modern Thai cuisine and the chef needs to know this is NOT Thai at all! Rather a greasy spoon type restaurant.
I will not be coming back here again unless the food vastly improves and there are more staff to handle the mid afternoon on a Saturday lunch.

1  Thank MartinR701
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Really enjoyed the Pad See Ew and Pad Thai! Flavorful and reasonably priced. The waitress was very efficient and friendly, but respectful enough not to be overly chatty. Will definitely come back again.