“Review on new Bistro concept”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Our Daily Bread

Our Daily Bread
Ranked #5 of 126 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: Cafe, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Review on new Bistro concept”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have noticed that no one has reviewed ODB's new French Bistro concept for dinner. My sister and I have gone there twice, and have both had mixed feelings about the overall execution. The menu is varied, and has been different each time we have eaten there. The food has been mostly well cooked and well presented. The service is attentive. The price is reasonable for an upscale restaurant. The first time we ate there, I had a piece of fish that tasted amazingly fresh and cooked to perfection. The Provençal tomato as a side was delicious. My sister had a steak that was also cooked just right and obviously high quality. We ordered charcuterie for our starter, and it was not good at all. Even the mustard served on the side was not authentic.
The new decor is pleasing with plenty of seating. The overall feeling was definitely French.
Our main complaint on our first visit, was the lack of knowledge of the staff. Our server had to go ask someone even the simplest question about the menu. She also hurried our order of our entrees with the promise that she would give us plenty of time for our first course. As you might guess, she brought our entrees before we were half way through the charcuterie plate. To me, that is a fatal mistake in a restaurant in that price range.
On our second visit, we found the menu changed, which I love. I love the way the restaurants in France change their menu at the chefs whim and the seasons. This time we both ordered steak. I ordered a sirloin that was around $15. My sister ordered a filet that was $19. Again the steaks were perfect. Mine was steak frites, and the fries were delicious. We ordered salads instead of a starter, and they were very ordinary. I would have expected something a little more inspired than lettuce, tomato, and cucumber in a bowl. Our desert was served still packaged as if it were a carry out item. The wine list is adequate but priced somewhat high, certainly not a good value.
In conclusion, ODB is doing a lot right. And we all know that Blacksburg desperately needs a good restaurant that appeals to grownups. I am hoping that they will get their act together and be a place where one can always get a high quality meal, and enjoy a leisurely evening with friends. I would go often.

• Visited June 2013

• Korean first
Fredericksburg, VA
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Had breakfast while in Blacksburg on business. Had the brioche French toast and it was absolutely wonderful - it literally melted in my mouth. I'd go back any time!

• Visited May 2013
Roanoke, Virginia
“Excellent pepper”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Great selection of food here, including fab desserts. Get a cup of soup and a baguette sandwich, the take a pastry home with you later. Good pepper shakers: grind your own.

• Visited May 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Fantastic Bread and Menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Our Daily Bread is a locals' favorite.

Great breads -- fantastic variety.

They also serve fresh, high quality sandwiches, salads, soups, etc...

The decor/ambiance are sort of blah, but the food is excellent.

Definitely recommend.

Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Surprise in Blacksburg!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Great surprise!
Our family of 6 landed in Blacksburg for an interview, and passed by Our daily Bread. Looked good, we went in and had a great breakfast. We're from Montreal where places like these are plenty, but in the US, out of the big cities, it's hard to find real good pastry and decent bread and good French Bistro type snacks.
We had French macaroons--excellent
We had crepes -- excellent
We had a croque monsieur -- excellent
We had a quiche -- my wife loved it; I don't like nutmeg
We had croissants -- very good. Not Paris nor Montreal, but definitely better than most I've had
We had a raspberry /chocolate mousse cake -- excellent with excellent quality chocolate

Price? $60 for 2 + 2 adults and 2 kids; including tip tax coffee orange juice milk--quite reasonable

Highly recommend it.