“When visiting Virginias Tech...”
Review of Main Street Inn

Main Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Blacksburg
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Pleasant staff, right in the center of things in the town, nice clean room with a living room, and bedroom. Highly unusual at this price. We will absolutely stay here next time we visit our granddaughter at the college.

Room Tip: Perfect location for visiting the campus of 'Virginia Tech.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AshevilleNCTravelers
There are newer reviews for Main Street Inn

Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a really nice hotel right in the heart of Blacksburg. It's an easy walk to all of the night life in downtown and to the football and basketball venues. We were in Blacksburg for a basketball game and it was perfect. The rooms are spacious and clean...seating area with a TV, good sized bathroom with big shower, and sleeping area with another TV. My only (very minor) complaint is related to service...their policy is that your car has to be moved by 3:00 on the day of checkout. The basketball game was over at 4:00, and we were told we couldn't leave it there the extra hour despite the hotel being mostly empty. We ended up having to move it to the parking garage before the game. Again, not a big deal, but thought it was odd they wouldn't accommodate that request.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were in a queen bed suite on the second floor. The room was clean but the sleeping and bathing area was cramped. We were right by the elevator but due to the sitting room separating the sleeping area from the hall we didn't have any issues with being kept awake by noise. Overall I would stay here again because it is conveniently located in downtown Blacksburg and is nicer than the other hotels in the area that I have stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Excellent location with Starbucks across the street and cabo fish taco next door. Walking distance to campus and all of the downtown restaurants. The suites that are $10 more are a little larger and have a king bed.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently booked a room for my mom who was visiting for a birthday weekend. My apartment is not very comfortable, so I chose the Main Street Inn- for its location and because of feedback from colleagues. The room was lovely, the service was friendly (they were able to give us a later checkout date even though they were sold out) and the location allowed us to have a great weekend without a lot of driving. Although there was a boisterous (fraternity?) house nearby that was audible in the room during the day (but not extremely), the room was very quiet at night. Parking was a little snug, but consistently available. The Keurig coffee and biscotti in the lobby was a nice extra. Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Would definitely come back on my next visit to Blacksburg. Great location near restaurants and shops and a close hop to VT campus. The room was perfect size, not overly large, but enough space to relax. The front desk staff was very helpful and even let me borrow his personal iPhone charger for a few hours as I had forgotten mine! Whew. Used the free wifi (had to call and ask for the pw - no instructions in the room) but had no connectivity issues.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 317 - top level and back of the building - very quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I am a recent alum of VT, graduated in 2009. Thanks to my good education at Tech, I can say I have a good career going. In other words, I'm a potential hotel customer for (hopefully) the next 50 years in Blacksburg.

I selected Main Street Inn for two reasons, 1) it is close to everything, and 2) I had heard that it was very nice. I wasn't concerned too much about the cost. I was VERY excited about staying at the Inn and actually booked/paid my room in March! However, I left the Inn with many mixed feelings. I will share below my PROS and CONS of my stay.

PROS:
- Proximity! My goodness, it just can't be beat. It is close to downtown, and a short walk to the stadium and other parts of campus. I loved being out and about after the game downtown knowing the hotel was essentially next door.
- Close to bookstore
- Nice, luxurious and intimate lobby
- Wonderful bed

CONS:
- Rooms are a bit awkward in shape, though did appreciate the separation.
- No breakfast
- Parking was across the street, which wasn't too big of a deal, but the parking is on the top of the garage so a bit of a pain
- Room had wear and tear that I didn't exepct, scruffs on walls, etc.
- The room I had was a single with a small den area. I believe they are all that way. The couch pulled out to make a secondary bed. This is my MAIN problem with my experience. I had a third person with me, and I was charged an additional $25 a night. I understand this is a common charge in some hotels, especially when you have 5. However, most hotels are also not $260 a night. In all, my experienced cost me roughly $600 for two nights. I was perfectly comfortable with the $525 figure but, out of principle, I was very upset that an additional charge was applied. Other hotels have waived similar charges for me in the past.

OVERALL: This hotel was close to cementing itself as the only hotel I will choose to stay in when I visit Blacksburg. However, I felt nickled and dimed and I left with a bad taste in my mouth. I understand that its a football game weekend, but please also understand I have more than one option in places to stay and don't do silly things like charge me a third person.

Next time, I will look back to VT Inn and Conference Center, who waived or did not have that rule in the past. Or potentially the Holiday Inn or Hilton Garden Inn before the Main Street Inn comes back on my radar.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends