All reviews the main house back porch cookies kitchen and living room full kitchen virginia tech wonderful hosts downtown blacksburg within walking distance chain hotel main street felt like home other guests breakfast was amazing comfortable room living area the location is perfect
Reviewed May 6, 2012

My situation: Virginia Tech alumnus visiting Blacksburg for the first time in 15 years. During that previous visit, I stayed in the old Donaldson Brown hotel on campus which was very convenient, but nothing special. I very much wanted to stay in a location on this trip that was as convenient to both campus and downtown. A bit of research online led me to the Clay Corner Inn. I booked a reservation and could not have been happier with the choice.

Location is outstanding: a short walk to both campus and downtown. VERY nice being able to park at the Inn and walk where I wanted to go without having to worry about parking issues. Much more convenient than the Inn At Virginia Tech on the other side of campus.

The Inn itself is comfortable and wonderfully maintained. Nicky, Rick, and the staff I met were all friendly and welcoming. My room met my expectations and more. Breakfast was delicious and filling, a great start to the day.

Nicky provided a perfect recommendation for dinner, a restaurant that she and Rick particularly like. It turned out to be a place that I frequented as a student all those years ago, and which still has much the feel now as it did then.

Being back on campus and in Blacksburg felt like coming home. My stay at Clay Corner Inn was a big part of that experience. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Blacksburg. Thanks!

• Trip type: Traveled solo
ClayCornerInn, Owner at Clay Corner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Thank you for the "Perfect Choice" the truth is, it was a pleasure having you here and hearing about your time at VT as a student. We are so happy our breakfast & rooms met with your approval and we really hope you come back to see us again soon :)

Reviewed May 1, 2012

From the moment I walked in till we left everything was geared to my complete satisfaction.
They had opened the pool early for us and even though too cool to get in we enjoyed a Friday evening get together there. Our group had booked the entire inn for our visit, filling all 8 rooms. Breakfast was fantastic each day. Nicky and Rick were always willing to make sure our stay was enjoyable. It truly was like staying at a friends house in Blacksburg.

Room tip: if you are staying with a college child, the upstairs room 7 has an adjoining room, paneled with a great view of the pool, and a double bed for parents and all convienient to breakfast..
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends

We thoroughly enjoyed having you and your group with us also. We definately felt like saying goodbye to friends when you left also. You all were so kind and it was great seeing you enjoy the gardens, decks & pool area. Hope to see you again soon and thank you for this great review.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

We arrived to find our host ready to hand over our keys and give us a quick tour to meet our schedule. The Hokie room was a bonus for my daughter trying to decide whether she wanted to become a Hokie at VATech. The queen bed was comfortable, the linens top of the line and the room had a desk and oversized soft chair, leaving plenty of room to move about. The bathroom was very clean and we loved being soaked by the rain spout in the shower.
Breakfast each morning was delicious, with a lovely and nurishing cold spread of homemade granola cereal, yogurt and fruit (one day warm, one day cold) and warm pastries. Dominique makes a hot dish every day and her Phila eggs were perfect as was Nikki's grandmere's French crepes with Virginia ham and cheddar cheese tucked inside. The breakfast room is bright and airy and everything is well appointed. The soft zen-like music playing in the big house creates an involuntary feeling of calm and well-being.
The grounds are well manicured, with an inviting inground pool, plenty of decking and lots of sitting areas, covered and uncovered. We had some rain, but it was so pleasant to sit outside under the wide back porch roof and read the paper.
The air was cool so we preferred sleeping with the windows open. My daughter was fine sleeping through the car noise from the street (this is due to the private college housing around the neighborhood) but a pair of cheap earplugs for me allowed me to enjoy the exquisite sheets and pillows and get a good night's rest.
I peeked in on the other 2 rooms in our part of the house and found them to be equally as well decorated as our room: the room across the hall had a cute angler theme and the king bed suite below was inviting in warm jewel tones. We plan to make advance reservations for all of the VA Tech events coming up and I can imagine renting all the rooms for my daughter's graduation as we host (with Nikki and Rick) our family in Blacksburg!!

• Trip type: Traveled with family
ClayCornerInn, Owner at Clay Corner Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. It is always encouraging to see that when I am not available my assistant takes care of you in the same way I would, she is a great asset to the Inn and I will pass on your kind words. Next time you come make sure to ask for an inside room to avoid the street noise. BTW luv the french! Look forward to seeing you again soon :) Nicky

Reviewed April 28, 2012

I loved our stay at Clay Corner Inn. We stayed in the Hokie room and enjoyed it very much. The Inn is just about a block off campus, so we walked to the campus a few times to visit. When we came back, we found a lovely cookie bar at Clay Corner. The atmosphere was warm and I loved the relaxing music in all the rooms. Breakfast was fabulous. We started out with a little breakfast buffet with yogurt (the really good kind) , granola, fruit and nuts. And coffee. Within a little while, our breakfast was served and it was delicious. I look forward to going back to the Inn. The Inn keepers are very friendly and welcoming. The other guests were friendly as well and we enjoyed chatting with them. And we ordered the most wonderful set of sheets that were on the beds at the Inn. I can't wait for themt to arrive. Give yourself a real treat if you plan to visit Va Tech, and make your reservation at Clay Corner Inn. You won't regret it.

Room tip: Hokie Room was great. I understand that there is a new Zen room which is very comfortable. We will stay in that room next time for a change.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hi Susan, pleased to see you enjoyed the cookie bar.. remember when you come back that you can enjoy this complimentary cookie bar every Saturday from 2pm to 6pm... thank you for this lovely review and can't wait to see you again soon ! Nicky

Reviewed April 28, 2012

My son and I came from Germany for a campus visit at Virginia Tech. I had seen the reviews on TripAdvisor and knew that this was the right place to stay at. We loved the room. Nicky and Rick were very nice and hospitable. The breakfast was fantastic. Highly recommendable.

• Trip type: Traveled with family

Guten Tag Werner, vie geht es dir? It was a pleasure having you here with us and I can't wait to hear if your Son chose VT.... hope so because we'd luv to see more you both and hopefully your wife too :) Thank you for the review.