“the REAL THING at Smithfield Farm”

Smithfield Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 6 Berryville B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 9, 2008

We just returned from a one night stay at smithfield farm. We booked largely on their website presentation and notes from trip advisor. We could not have been happier. The food is great, the farm is beautuful and the rooms are to die for.

Ruth is soo sweet, she made us feel right at home.

We're planning a trip back in a few months.

The whole area is a ton of fun, with plenty to do at local wineries and other attractions !!!!

This is a def. winner, and only 3 hours from home !

• Stayed: November 2008

Reviewed October 21, 2008

My husand and I stayed at the Smithfield Farm B & B during a surprisingly summer-like week-end in October. For me, the real charm of Smithfield Farm is how "real" the experience is. To my amazement, Ruth came out of her cottage (the old plantation school house, I believe) to greet us as soon as we came up the long driveway through an old apple orchard. It was almost like she was waiting for us to arrive so that she could greet us personally; this is something that does not happen very often at a B & B. She helped us with our luggage, showed us around the original plantation house where the common rooms and guest bedrooms are located, demonstrated how the gas fireplace in our room worked and then sent us into Berryville with several restaurant suggestions.

Although the house is furnished with antiques, there is nothing stuffy about it; it is more like the country home of a favorite aunt that you love to visit. Our bedroom (the Jacquelin Room) had a very comfortable king-size canopied bed and, although the bathroom was not en suite, it was just across the hall and was not shared with any other guests. It had both a huge clawfoot tub and a shower stall and lots of room for two people to get ready at the same time. The common rooms of the house (there is a parlor and a library) invite you to sit by the fire and read or plan your day. I am an early riser in the morning and it was lovely to tiptoe down the imposing central staircase before daybreak in a warm robe provided to guests, light the fire in the library and warm my toes while reading. My husband got to sleep in and I got to luxuriate in the peace and quiet of a beautiful old home and watch the sun rise and fill the room with light.. It was amazing to think that the gorgeous rural scene that I saw out the windows as the sun came up (green pastures, tended gardens, an old gazebo, farm animals and mountains in the distance) was the same as had been seen by generations of the family since well before the war between the states. The incredible beauty and peaceful of the landscape surrounding the house is difficult to communicate; it just forces you to breathe deeply and slow down.

As I said, this place is real. It is a working farm and much of what you eat for breakfast (i.e. fresh eggs, homemade apple butter and applesausce, and sausage) will have come from the farm itself and your can't get any fresher or more real than that. The food was excellent and served at a pace that allowed you to savor what you were having and, at the same time, become acquainted with the other guests. We had blueberry French toast with maple syrup one morning (more like dessert than breakfast!) and Eggs Smithfield (a delicious cross between an omelette and a souffle) on the second morning. Recipes for both dishes are available on the website for the B & B. Ruth did both the cooking and the serving on the first morning which once again reinforced the sense of being a guest at a country estate; she had help from Linda on the second morning. Farm products are available for sale at the farm store on the property and, I understand, at several locations in the DC area.

Smithfield Farm B & B is a lovely place to get away from it all, but just a little more than an hour's drive outside of DC. Harper's Ferry, WInchester, Waterford, Berryville and even the Shenandoah Valley are not too far away and provide pleasant diversions for a relaxing escape.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Slacster
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I booked a one night stay with Smithfield Farm to celebrate my wife's birthday. This was my first B&B booking and I was apprehensive.
Smithfield Farm was worth it. We stayed in the basement English room which was well appointed, cool and a wonderful place to rest and sleep. The countryside is beautiful, remote and well appointed.
The owners were quite nice, present but not intrusive (which was one of my B&B fears).
To sum it up, when my wife and I left, we felt like we had stayed a week when we had actually stayed one night.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2008

i just spent two nights here with my husband this past weekend, and it was absolutely marvelous. we stayed in the jacquelin room and it was even nicer than in the website's photo. it had a queen bed and a twin bed with a bathroom across the hall that had a shower stall and clawfoot bath tub. from the windows you can see the mountains in the distance and it's brightly lit in the mornings unless you draw the shades. breakfast was so delicious and filling, with eggs from the farm, bacon and sausage from the farm's pigs and fresh fruit. the long gravel driveway that cuts through the apple orchard just sets the tone for this beautifully restored home surrounded by fields where you can see and hear the sheep and cows. the owner, ruth, is very friendly and welcoming, and the resident dog is very cute and calm. i was so happy to find this place and i'd highly recommend it for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2008

With gas prices being so high, my wife and I were looking for something that would be fun, romantic and outdoorsy without being very far from DC. We have gone to B&B destinations in Virgina, West Virgina and North Carolina, but wanted to stay within an hour or so of home. We found Smithfield Farm on the Internet and decided to give it a try.
It is only about three miles off of route 7 maybe a half hour west of Leesburg, but you are really in the country once you arrive. The manor house is historic dating back to the early 1800's and has 4 guest rooms. There is also a guest cottage that is available, but we chose one of the rooms in the main house. The rooms are beautiful without being so frilly that you feel uncomfortable. The room we stayed in had a great view out the front of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The hostess was very nice and we were able to walk all around the farm. We also took the opportunity to have a glass of wine by a running brook in front that is right out of a story book, with great views of the mountains and at the edge of an apple orchard.
The meals were very good, the Sunday breakfast was four courses with fresh fruit, hot homemade pastries and a wonderful egg and blueberry dish, followed by a hot apple cobbler with ice cream.
We wondered around the area, had lunch in Berryville and even stopped into a local place for wine tasting and mead ale.

A great alternative to driving for hours for a romantic get away.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LAC7123
Reviewed March 20, 2008

What a gorgeous setting and a beautifully restored home! Our room had soaring ceilings, a view over the fields, perfect antique furnishings, and a gas fireplace. Bath was modern and well appointed with quality amenities (even lip balm!). Ruth couldn't have been more gracious and breakfast was heavenly. Hard to believe this is only an hour from DC - feels like another world. And the Farm is well-located, close to historic Winchester, Harpers Ferry, Charlestown, etc. We really enjoyed our stay, even on a rainy weekend in March, and are looking forward to going back during other seasons.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2008

The first time I stayed at the Smithfield Farm Bed and Breakfast was a spur of the moment situation. I had been hiking with a group of Boy Scouts on the AT in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. On the way home we needed a place to camp for one night and were having difficulty finding a location. I knew the owner, Ruth, during my college years…about 35 years ago. Although I had not seen Ruth in years, I decided to give her a call to see if there was a possibility that we could camp out on her farm for the night. At that time I knew she was in the process of re-finishing the 1816 manor house and other buildings with a goal of turning the property that had been in the family for eight generations into a Bed and Breakfast. As I expected she immediately agreed. Upon our arrival we were greeted cordially and afforded the best hospitality anyone could hope to receive. Ruth took us on a tour of the farm, the manor house and the cottages! I could not believe all the work that she and her family had put into the re-finishing of the house and cottages. They still had a long way to go to reach their goal. It made me tired just to think of it!

Several years later I decided to visit once again knowing that the renovations were completed and that the Smithfield Farm Bed and Breakfast was now open to the public. I was going to sleep in the Manor house instead of a tent! I was curious to see the finished product. I was absolutely amazed at the final results. It is nothing less than magnificent! Having seen the before and the after it is beyond imagination how spectacular the change!

The atmosphere throughout gives you the feeling that you have stepped back in time! It is a perfect spot to stay if you are interested in exploring this historic region of the Shenandoah Valley or just want to get away from everyday life for some rest and relaxation. The Shenandoah Valley offers numerous activities and many are within range of the Smithfield Farm Bed and Breakfast. The Smith Family has put much effort into the re-furbishing the farm and it shows everywhere: in what you see and feel and how your are treated during your stay.

Ruth and her family are super friendly and go above and beyond to make all guests feel welcome. Just about everything you could want is available and if not Ruth provides any assistance you might need.

The rooms are quiet, clean, and luxurious. They are cozy and come complete with a fireplace. You truly feel you have stepped back in time! What you see advertised on the website is truly what you experience on your arrival.

Breakfast is incredible! The morning meal is anything but routine and absolutely delicious.

You are free to roam the house and grounds. This affords you the opportunity to see a variety of memorabilia.

The Smithfield Farm Bed and Breakfast gets a 10+ on a scale of 1-10 in my book. This is the place to stay if you enjoy the B&B experience or if you have never before had a B&B experience this is a great place to start!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank makaspsh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berryville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Winchester
Hillbrook Inn
Hillbrook Inn
#1 of 6 in Charles Town
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast

Been to Smithfield Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!