“Christmas Tea”

Manor House Tea at Rosemont Manor.
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Christmas Tea”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My niece and I went to Christmas tea Rosemont Manor, using Groupons. The Groupon was $29, but we had to pay an additional $15 each to go during Christmas time. We were shown to the carriage house where we were given a fizzy beverage. The owner came in and gave us a bit of history of the property before taking us to the manor house. He took us out on the veranda and explained more of the history of the estate. I imagine in the spring the grounds are quite beautiful, but was sort of dreary looking since it was December! The tour continued in the house and he took us to some of the rooms (manor house is also a B&B).

We were seated at a table with two other ladies. I was not informed that we would be sharing a table with anyone else when I booked the reservation. The table was a bit crowded with four of us sharing a somewhat small table. There were three courses, and three teas, served. Some of the finger sandwiches had festive shapes - Christmas trees and gingerbread men. Pots of tea were not left on the table, so we had to wait for the server to come back and refill our cups. The food offerings were good, but some of the sweets were way too sweet.

The owner's son came around to show us some Civil War artifacts. He explained that this was part of his public speaking requirement for home schooling. He was very polite and did a good job. The chef came out towards the end and was introduced to the attendees. The gentleman who did the decorating also came by to the table to chat. We each received a Rosemont Manor Christmas ornament.

I felt there was a hard sell for booking weddings, or other events. A number of times there was mention of having any bride-to-be that we might know come out for a free tea.

For the money, I'll go back to the Ritz - Less of a drive, outstanding service and food, no hard sell for bookings, and no table sharing with strangers. Might be nice to see the grounds during the spring when flowers and trees are in bloom.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank UOtterTravel
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Manor House Tea at Rosemont Manor., responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your ideas and have taken them into consideration. The reason for the extra charge last year was because your Groupon actually excluded the Christmas teas, but we wanted to give our voucher holders the chance to come at Christmastime if they so desired. Out of fairness to our other customers who paid the holiday rate, we did charge the difference. I hope you can understand our reasoning for this decision.

In response to the seating arrangements, it is stated on our website that you will be seated with other guests. Most folks enjoy the festive atmosphere and many make some new friends. However, we do apologize that you were not comfortable with the arrangement.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the holiday menu selections, Jonathan's Civil War presentation (which he enjoys giving, and is a guest favorite), and chatting with Tona, our Manor House chef.

Thank you again for your feedback which we have taken into account as we plan our Christmas Teas for 2013.

William "Biff" Genda
Owner

Washington DC
“Tea at Rosemont”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Myself and my best friend went for tea this past weekend under a Groupon deal. I have been to multiple teatimes here in the US and overseas. They do things a little different at this location…..they call it more US or Virginia themed. Upon arriving you are welcomed in the carriage house to pay any residual monies, sign up your email, which they use to give away a free future teatime, get your table assignment and sip on "fizzle tea" while you wait. The GM gave a brief description of the lands and told us of the tour planned. We separated into two groups in which one goes to the parlor and "The Roosevelt Suite" and then you go to the portico. Then you find your table in what used to be the library. We were joined by 3 ladies at our 5 top. I personally like to only be seated with the person I came with so we can converse quietly and privately. This was a little off-putting FOR ME because there was no way to have a private conversation....but socializing with other people is fine. The other problem is that when they bring the food out on the typical tiered platters and even though they give you two of each type of finger foods, the other patrons sometimes can be rude or gross....touching your food (tongs were not provided) or "stealing" your portion. Also, I had to flag down the GM because no one at our table or a few other tables had napkins, he looked mortified and we got some about 4 mins later. The first tea was okay, not that flavorful....a black blend. Oh, and you had no choice but to use the milk provided or regular cubed sugar (no splenda)....and that is IF you had enough milk for everyone. The chicken salad on banana bread was delicious and my favorite. I did not like the egg salad it had some herbs or seasonings I could not stand. The cucumber sandwich was very good. The two scones were very good and of two different flavors. Again, the other people at the table had to share the Devonshire cream and two preserves...second time around I got a pinkie of cream and had to use the other preserves. The accompanying tea was my favorite. Then the sweets came out. This was the most disappointing. An apple slice with caramel (I can make this at home), a brownie wedge (again I can make this at home) and a white chocolate rose (I can buy this)....the ONLY good thing about this round was the Lemon Verbena ice cream, WOW, that was amazing. The tea which was a "apple martini" or something was very basic. After the tea was done they announced the winner of the free teatime and introduced the main chef. We were adjourned to roam the manor and rooms then. The suites are all very nice and spacious, my favorite was probably "The Kennedy Suite" but the guestrooms were cramped. I probably would never go back for the teatime again but I may consider staying here one night as a weekend getaway or something...just to see what that is like. Oh, the service was pretty good, not very attentive but she did come around once more with each round of tea to see if we wanted more, although, during the second round, we got our tea almost 10 mins after the food came out.

3 Thank mln76
Walkersville, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Elegant Tea at Rosemont”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I went with my sister on a groupon deal to tea at Rosemont. It is removed enough from its surroundings that you are transported to another time. The stories of acquiring Rosemont by the owner were very interesting, the food and teas were delicious, and the invitation to make ourselves at home and look throughout the manor house was especially fun. We sat with two young ladies we did not know, but found them to be friendly and easy to talk to. We were most impressed at the invitation to look around this beautifully restored and furnished inn and enjoy the wonderful view from a rocking chair on the portico. It was so interesting to imagine all the famous visitors that had been there to visit the Byrd's over the years. What a fun, delicious and interesting afternoon!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank kathy o
Vienna, Virginia
“Lots of Charm Off the Beaten Path”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Some of the best tea I have ever had! Food was fine. This historic house is owned privately and the family is passionate about the place. It has been restored recently and beautifully. The service was great. This place is "in the middle of nowhere," but a lovely ride once you get out to the country.
The actual tea comes from a local shop/maker, and is fantastic. Unique blends.

• Visited August 2012
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“A Lovely Afternoon...”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

With my husband and daughter, we spent the day at Rosemont Manor yesterday. The beautiful drive thru Virginia countryside-every curve and hill dotted with vineyards and horse farms, just set the stage the gorgeous, picturesque Rosemont! The grounds were pristine, yet natural- not too done or fussed over. The Manor was just perfect and attention to every little detail was evident. The menu for afternoon tea was delicious right down to the homemade verbena, lemon herb ice cream. Biff, the owner, was very funny and shared interesting facts about the Rosemont history (political and otherwise) and famous people who have relaxed there. Probably the hi-light of our day was 10 year old Jonathan, one of the sons of Biff and Barb. He very competently and professionally gave each guest a presentation about the civil war and shared some artifacts that had been found on the Rosemont grounds. Complete with a coat and tie, Jonathon gets an "A" in public speaking and good manners! Do yourself a favor and make the drive to Berryville and Rosemont. What a lovely way to fall off the grid!