“absolutely wonderful!”
Review of Rosemont Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berryville
Rosemont Manor
Ranked #3 of 6 Berryville B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“absolutely wonderful!”
Reviewed May 2, 2011

My fiance and I just got back not three hours ago, and I wanted to write the review while it was still fresh in my mind. Absolutely a wonderful weekend! Beautiful grounds, beautiful house, and amazing service. Andrew, the innkeeper, was extremely hospitable and the overall experience booking the weekend and staying there was excellent! I booked the bloomspot special and couldnt be happier about our experience.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jsplosh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 18, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights at Rosemont Manor as a mini getaway. The manor and grounds are spectacular and the rooms are lovely, comfortable, and kept very neat! The staff was absolutely great - friendly and so attentive. They made special accomodations any time we asked and always seemed happy to help. The food at Rosemont was delicious. We had homemade quiche with a yogurt parfait one morning and berry bread pudding (more like baked french toast) another. We were thrilled with the stay! As some reviewers have mentioned, Rosemont is having some issues with stink bugs (as is any B&B near trees and orchards), we didn't have any in our room and the staff was great about keeping the place clean.

While there is not a lot to do in Berryville itself, it isn't a bad drive from the Blue Ridge parkways, lots of hiking and trails, and Luray Caverns. There are also some great wineries in the area and the Rosemont staff will give you coupons for free tastings. I highly recommend Rosemont Manor as the place to stay in Berryville!

2 Thank KrisM86
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed April 16, 2011

My boyfriend and I had purchased the Living Social deal because we felt we both needed to take a mini get away from the "real world." We had to reschedule our original booking dates due to a family emergency and the staff were very understanding and helpful so we had no problem re-booking! Upon our arrival, we were warmly greeted by Andrew, the Innkeeper. Check-in isn't until 4pm but we decided to try our lucky anyway and were able to check in early around noon. Andrew was very accommodating and made us feel right at home! We stayed in the Eisenhower suite which was delightful. The decor of the room was exquisite--the old claw bathtub was perfect for a bubble bath! Very relaxing! The rest of the house was just as exquisite. We enjoyed relaxing in the parlor and the game room. We had the chance to peek inside some of the other rooms/suites--all were very cute and well decorated. I would love to stay in the Nixon Suite the next time around.

Breakfast each morning was delicious! There are a few places to eat in the small town--all were great and everyone was so friendly. I would recommend dinner at the Battletown Inn. If you are looking for something more casual, Mario's had good pizza and Berryville Grille had great sandwiches! All were very reasonably priced!

Berryville is a rather small town but there is lots to do around the area--local vineyards and Charlestown races and slots are only about 15 minutes away. We also love the outdoors and the weather was beautiful during our 3 day, 2 night stay so we made the most of it and went hiking on one of the trails in Shenandoah (about an hour away).

Rosemont Manor is located only an hour away from the hustle and bustle of Northern Virginia but it seemed like a different world. If you're looking for a mini getaway for a few days...would definitely recommend Berryville and staying at the Rosemont Manor. It had a very romantic feel which was exactly what we needed for a few days. Everyone was friendly and the staff at Rosemont were all very pleasant and made us feel right at home! This place is a hidden gem! I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shinsy
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a quick weekend getaway to see the local vineyards in VA, and our stay at Rosemont Manor was just wonderful. Everyone seems to say the same thing, but truly the staff goes above and beyond to make your stay with them both welcoming and comfortable. We stayed in the Bryd's Study, but couldn't really take advantage of the balcony because of the stink bugs outside. But the furnishings were really nice and kept with the historical feel of the manor, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The flowers and foliage weren't yet in full bloom, but even so you could see that the estate grounds were incredibly beautiful. I can only imagine what it looks like when the flowers do bloom. And even though the breakfast was amazing the morning before, the hubby and I decided to sleep in a bit on the morning of checkout, to catch some more Zzz's. Since we didn't show at breakfast, the staff actually went out of their way to keep our breakfast warm, packed to-go, and waiting for us at checkout. This B&B is definitely a recommendation!

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy_T01
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 20, 2011

My boyfriend and I booked a two night stay at Rosemont Manor through Living Social. It was a quick and beautiful drive from the hustle and bustle of Baltimore. As many reviews before mine and I'm sure many after will agree; Andrew, the Inn Keeper truly is wonderful. He was very pleasant and helpful, giving great suggestions for things to do and see. Infact everyone down to the construction crew working on the reception hall next door were very pleasant.

One thing that I was surprised not to see in any of the reviews, that did disappoint me, was that there were quite a few stink bugs. I would say that we had at least 60 in our room during our two night stay. After some crafty work from my boyfriend on night two, we plugged up some spots that were allowing the stink bugs in to our room, providing our last few hours at Rosemont- stink bug free! You should keep in mind that the stink bugs weren't just at Rosemont, some of the wineries had a lot of them as well. I would certainly stay here again, however if you are very squeemish around bugs this may not be for you. (Note: I gave 3 stars on Sleep Quality because the stink bugs kept me up all night the first night, other than that the beds were very comfortable.)

We stayed in the Kennedy Suite, which was very romantic. I got to take a peak at almost all the rooms and suites, and the next time I stay at Rosemont, I'd like to try the Eisenhower Suite. I was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable the beds were. I was also surprised to see that there was only a bathtub in our bathroom, there was a shower head but you had to be careful that you didn't spray water everywhere. I guess it forced me to take a relaxing bath which I otherwise wouldn't have done.

On a side note; if you plan on going out to dinner, downtown Wincester has plenty of restaurants to offer. Just make sure you get there early, most of them close at 9pm!

1 Thank SohlAT
Rosemont1811, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Dear Guests,

First, I would like to give some background on these particular stinks bugs, and then some actions Rosemont is taking to address the issue.

Background

Believed to have entered the US in a cargo container from China in Allentown, PA in 1996, the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug has spread to over 30 states. With no natural enemies here in the US, their population will continue to increase each year. The Mid-Atlantic region seems to be taking the brunt of their infestation. Damage to fruit and vegetable crops from stink bugs in these areas has reached critical levels, according to the United States Department of Agriculture. The Northern Shenandoah Valley, along with the western portions of the Northern Virginia-Metro area, are among the most invested areas. By 2012 the brown stink bug will cover the entire Northern Virginia area and Washington DC.

At this time there is no known effective eradication method. Even the use of direct contact pesticides seem ineffective as the dying bugs release their pungent odor, attracting even more bugs making the subsequent infestations worse than the first.

These bugs do not bite humans and pose no known health hazards. They feed mainly on fruits and vegetables, leaving small craters on their surfaces. Even the fruit they have gotten to is edible, once the blemished parts are cut out.

So what approach should be used to control these unwelcomed guests?

I am very conscientious about our guests’ safety and health concerns. From meeting various dietary restrictions and preferences of our guests, to implementing the most green-related technologies and practices, we continue to evolve our Rosemont business practices around a healthy ecological environment. I grew up in Ohio on the freshest, most natural produce and poultry imaginable, grown by my dad who was a 100% organic farmer, years before it was the chic thing to do, and where “green technology” related to creating the next hybrid of lettuce.

In keeping with those practices, we do not use any form of pesticides here at Rosemont—neither inside nor on the grounds. All methods are purely organic. Even though officials from the US Agriculture Department and the Environmental Protection Agency are pushing to have the stink bug reclassified so farmers would be allowed stronger pesticides, I don’t even want to go down the path of spraying any of the current contact or residual pesticides allowed. Residual pesticide treatments have been proven to be ineffective against these stink bugs and can’t be anything but a health hazard to my staff and guests.

So what is Rosemont doing?

When the weather warms, they come out of their slumber and a few do appear inside our manor. We constantly are monitoring all rooms and common areas and removing then if they should appear. During 2011 we continue to seal outside entry points on the main manor house to stop next year’s crop from entering our home. Until then, we will continue to do our best to remove these pests in the most safe and efficient means possible without resorting to any sort of pesticide.

Biff Genda
Owner
Historic Rosemont Manor
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 8, 2011

We had a wonderful trip to Rosemont Manor. The house is lovely and the views from the porch are breathtaking. Andrew is a wonderful host and made us feel welcome. The room (Roosevelt Suite) was very comfortable. All in all, we really had a wonderful time.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We went to the Rosemont for a quick weekend getaway in March and had a great time. The staff was excellent, the rooms were clean, quiet and the breakfast and lunch were delicious. The staff directed us to several local wineries we enjoyed and Harpers Ferry is close by for hiking. I highly recommend the Rosemont for a weekend trip!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berryville
Hampton Inn Winchester-North
Towne Place Suites
Towne Place Suites
#17 of 25 in Winchester
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast

Been to Rosemont Manor? Share your experiences!