“boar's head meats”

Dining options: Lunch
Roanoke, Virginia
“boar's head meats”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is a nice place for lunch or tea with friends. Great pastries.

Visited May 2012

lynchburg, VA
“Great place for the girls!”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My girls and I love to eat at The Duchess. I tell people that the portions are just right. When the plate arrives one first thinks the serving sizes may seem small but if take is take to properly enjoy the food it is quite filling and truly tasty.
It is a remodeled house located on the entrance to this small town from U S 460 leading to Main Street. It is more of a "Tea Room" than anything else.
The staff is some slack in checking back with the customer to provide refills on beverages and to ask if everything is fine as far as the food. Several time I have entered and had to wait for someone to come and seat us as it clearly states that they want to seat the customer. I am not aware if a bell dings in the back or if they just check to see if anyone is waiting - based on my visits I would say they just check to see if anyone is waiting as I have never seen anyone stationed at the entrance counter.
I agree with other reviews about the food being pricey for what is served.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank cwcsoup
Georgia
“Big prices for small portions”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Everything changes especially when the economy falters. Business owners believe that cutting corners will help them survive the downturn but in the long run, patrons remember increased prices and and decreased value.

The Duchess of Bedford used to be a mainstay of our annual vacations to Virginia. I still think the bakery portion of the eatery is terrific but we will be skipping the restaurant section from now on. For $10.00, expect to get a small piece of quiche which is quite flavorful and fresh but severely undersized. It is devoid of any pie crust typically associated with the recipe and does not come with any bread. The sides are also quite good but a dollop of potato or pasta salad would not satisfy even a small appetite. The tiny mini-muffin that passes for the dessert course when a so-called "meal" portion is purchased is an insult.

There was a time when the Duchess made the best grilled cheese sandwich I ever tasted. It had at least two different types of quality cheeses, uncommon bread and was uniquely toasted to perfection. Not any more. It isn't even on the menu anymore but can be ordered upon request. However, it isn't anything like it used to be and will still cost you about $10.00 with a tiny side and a microscopic dessert.

On the plus side, the bakery section of the Duchess is not to be missed. Their blueberry muffins are some of the best you'll ever eat and the sugarless cheesecake is wonderful. These items are definitely worth the price.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank jetsmoother
Virginia
“Just like real royalty - expensive and not worth the money.”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I had a very disappointing experience at this restaurant. Although my visit was during the busy lunchtime hour, there appeared to be only one person seating patrons, waiting on tables, and delivering food. Even though it is a small restaurant - maybe 12-15 tables scattered throughout 3 or 4 rooms - the waitress could barely keep up with the number of customers, as most tables were occupied. The food was tasty but portions were skimpy. I had the chicken salad croissant with an orange congealed salad. The chicken salad was spread thinly across the bun and it was quite dry to my taste, and the extra mayo I had requested was not provided. I had to track down the waitress to get it. The orange congealed salad was good but nothing special, and the portion was very small, I'd guess less than half a cup. The plate came with a "sweet bite", which was a mini chocolate chip muffin, and it was a bit dry and I suspect a day or more old. Truthfully, I've had better chocolate chip mini-muffins from Wal-mart, and I'm sad to say that. Throughout my whole meal the waitress never reappeared to offer me a refill on my iced tea, although the check was delivered promptly with my meal. When I asked at the cashier's table for my tea refill to go, I was charged for it, as well as overcharged for the 2 cookies I got to go. I asked for a refund of the tea charge, which I was given (although they did not refund the tax, and I didn't make an issue of that 15 cents, or the cookie overcharge either, but their carelessness rankles). Overall, my meal was $14+ not including tip, and it was in no way worth that amount of money. I'll probably give this place another try, but not any time soon.

• Visited July 2011
Bedford, Virginia
“Great place for " girls out lunch"”
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Nice place for a girls out lunch, they have delicious chicken salad and when they have it a great squash soup.