1,107 results
All reviews the blue ridge parkway beautiful view of the lake abbot lake wi fi main building flat screen tv first floor skyline drive coffee maker otters balcony razor brp lodging memorial summit accommodations
Selected filters
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The room was excellent. The restaurant was wonderful. The staff was fabulous. Definitely recommend that you stay here if you are exploring the Blue Ridge Parkway. We loved it here.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
amather2016, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2018

Margie, so glad you came and spent some time with us. I agree our staff is fabulous! Do stop again.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

Started our drive in Front Royal and drove the full length of Skyline Drive with many fabulous overviews before we continued on the Blue Ridge. Arrived at The Peaks of Otter late afternoon and were greeted by very friendly staff. We had requested a handicap accessible room which was on the first level. Nice room with what appears to be an attempt at making the bathroom ADA accessible. The bathroom was large so navigable for wheelchair, but there is no counter space which necessitated a small portable table to be added that was too far away from the sink. The room itself had easy access to the walking path through a door to the outside overlooking the lake. We would definitely stop at The Peaks of Otter if we are in the area again. BTW if you are going for foliage visit at least a week later than our October 9 and 10 visit.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Michael, thank you for staying with us and for the comments. I need to spend some time with a person who is in need of an ADA room so that I can get a clear picture of what our guests need. Thank you for this info.
Do come again.

Reviewed October 11, 2018 via mobile

Driving the Blue Ridge Parkway on a Fall weekday is a glorious trip. Being able to spend the night right on the parkway is wonderful. The Peaks of Otter Lodge was everything we would wish for and more. The pictures are from our 2nd floor balcony. Two comfortable lounge chairs let’s you sit out there and take in the landscape. The Lodge is situated on beautiful grounds surrounded by mountains. The Lodge is not a new modern glitzy hotel. It is in the tradition of many of the grand old lodges that you find in some of our great National Parks which the Blue Ridge Parkway is. We had one of the newly renovated rooms which was large and comfortable. Double beds, a comfy arm chair and a rocking chair complemented a nice bathroom. I really appreciated the Keurig mini coffee makers with pods in the room. The restaurant was reasonable in price and outstanding in quality. We ate dinner and breakfast.
Bottom line is we will plan a spring trip to return and stay a day longer.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dr., we appreciate you coming to the Peaks and do appreciate the review. I know the leaves hadn't turned when you were here as it is a late fall but glad you had a good time. See you in the Spring.

Reviewed October 9, 2018

When you want to get away from it all you should head for the hills.
But the Peaks of Otter Lodge is a strange mix. There is no cellular phone service so you will not be able to check in with family and friends. That in itself is not so bad and the marketing hype spells it out - the lodge is away from the cell phone world to promote the woodsy calmness of the blue ridge mountains.

There is internet service, but it's impossible to access - zero bandwidth. So there goes your second layer of connection to the outside world. You can't check your email or in my case you can't let ANYONE know you are OK. Normal, day to day activities like checking the weather or estimating the mileage to your next destination are impossible.

And there is NO PHONES in the rooms - no landline, your only alternative is to walk to the breezeway or the lodge lobby and use a guest phone. Which I did, but I had to wait fifteen minutes to get my turn at the phone.

This lodge is a popular destination for seniors. It right off the beautiful Blue Ridge Parkway so you get the mountain setting without the hike. As a healthy and active older person I was shocked to realize that if I had an emergency in my room I had no way to ask for help without crawling down the stairs and down the breezeway to the phone.

OK... the view was nice and the room was clean but outdated and greatly in need of renovation. But the food at the lodge restaurant was terrible and there are NO choices unless you want to head out for a Lon long drive tot he next town over.

I think it's a pathetically average place to stay, but if you consider the safety concerns with no way to communicate it's a sketchy overnight. I climbed Mt. Whitney - the highest point in continental USA and I had cell service most of the time. I traveled in Kenya and there was a phone next to my bed most of the time. And I own and carry an emergency satellite beacon... which would have been the ONLY way to summon help if I was faced with an emergency (and yes I would need a clear view of the sky).

All in all this place could be so much more, but it's beat up and poorly maintained. And with no phones (wired or wireless) and no internet (wired or wireless) you might just be on your own...

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank solohvs

Solohvs, I do appreciate your honesty in this review and it certainly is something that we are working on.

Cell service is something that we have checked into but the cost is very prohibitive.

The wifi is a long story in and of itself with some potential resolutions hopefully in the near future, it is our biggest complaint, so I know your pain.

Phones in the rooms is something we are looking at as well or at least a more accessible way to contact the front desk.

As far as the rooms, they were renovated in '16, and the bathrooms have been done in building #2 with #1 and #3 to be done this winter. This property is owned by the NPS and we are only allowed to do certain things and that is with a lot of red tape. We must keep the historic fabric of the property, therefore the older style room, we have done all we are allowed to do.

I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We do take every review in consideration. Thank you.

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

Want a beautiful view? Want a quiet romantic place to reconnect with a love one? Want to go hiking? This is the place for you. The lodge is located off the Blue Ridge Parkway. We didn’t stay at the lodge but we did dine in the restaurant. They have a soup and salad bar, burgers, sweet potato fries, shrimp and crab salad with fruit and avocados (which I highly recommend). Chicken and cat fish. The full menu can be viewed on line. There are lounges with fireplaces and private rooms for meetings and reception.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dawn, thank you for visiting Peaks, we so appreciate you choosing to come here. Thank you for the review and we welcome you back.