“Very Much At Home” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very Much At Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Recently stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge for one night during a Blue Ridge Parkyway/Skyline Drive road trip. The group was my 84 year old grandfather, my father and me. We had adjoining rooms (king and two queen).
This property is perfectly situated off the parkway, overlooking a quiet and peaceful lake and the idyllic Sharp Top Mountain. All of the rooms to my knowledge are situated for a perfect view, which was perfect for my Papa who immensely enjoyed taking in the view from his balcony. The highlight for me was the areas three primary hiking trails, steps away from the door.
This contract was recently taken over by Delaware North Companies and I understand they had an uphill climb. While the lodge itself still has a way to go before being considered "modern" they have recently made upgrades with flat screen TVs (which aren't needed with all the natural beauty) and were working on wireless internet. Keurig machines in each room were a nice surprise. I would recommend doing away with the old bedspreads next. The front desk, gift shop, restaurant and grounds crew are very friendly, happy with their jobs and well trained to run the place. The restaurant itself was good but not great, we all played it safe and ordered very simple dishes. Had the good fortune of running into the new GM after dinner and he is also completely dedicated to improving the lodge. The management at Peaks of Otter Lodge is definitely on the right track.
Bottom line - remember that you are within a National Park in a rural setting and enjoy the natural scenery without letting small details bother you, don't be quickly thrown off by mediocre reviews from the past, they are actively working on improvements. Try Peaks of Otter Lodge for yourself.

Room Tip: Adjacent rooms are available and worked well for us. Its a two story hotel so request the 2nd floor...
Green Features: Really appreciated the steps taken to minimize environmental impact.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank SeanDonovan
Dana M, Front Office Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Glad to hear you had such a wonderful experience while visiting Peaks of Otter Lodge! Our internet service is up and running with the connection extending through all the buildings. The renovations to the guest rooms are next on the list. We are working with an interior designer to update the rooms yet still protect the integrity of the historic lodge.

I am also glad to hear to enjoyed the green intiatives that Delaware North has set in place. Through recycling, composting, soap recycling with an organization called Global Soap Project, used kitchen oil recycling, and hosting our first Earth Day Event at Peaks of Otter we are all proud of the accomplishments we have made, but there are many more to come!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Korean first
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

If you're looking for a quiet place in an idyllic setting, the Peaks of Otter Lodge may be the right spot for you. Nestled along the Blue Ridge Parkway north of Roanoke, this complex overlooks a quiet lake with a walking trail in the beautiful mountain setting.

The staff is very friendly, but simple check-in and check-out each took about 15 minutes. They have a restaurant on-site that we also reviewed, and the service there was excellent.

Although comfortable and clean, the rooms and amenities are "dated" - as the real estate people say.- and maintenance is a bit lacking.

All that taken into account, we will probably stop here again the next time we travel through southwest Virginia.

Room Tip: The lower level rooms have a walk out toward the lake and trail, and you can't any noise from ab...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank esatraveler
Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit to Peaks of Otter Lodge. Our wifi service is finally strong enough to reach the entire property. This was completed since your trip. We are also working with an interior designer to update the rooms, but still protect the intergrity and quaint feeling of the lodge. If you decide to come visit us again please check back with us to see the renovations we have made.
Torrance, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

The setting was pretty, room P202 nice, big and clean, the view onto the lake beautiful. But….the Stinkbugs in the room were VERY disturbing and made me hotfoot out of there the next morning. The first stinkbug I saw sat on the window. I caught it with one of those little plastic cups in the room and released it to the outdoors. Then there was another one about 15 minutes later, which I treated the same way. 10 minutes later there were 2 more, then another one and a few more over the next hour or so, about 10 all together, I’d say.

After a walk and dinner I came back to the room to retire early. Went to bed to watch a little TV and play with my iPad. (By the way, WI-FI was not available unless I sat way in the corner of the room, by the window…too close to the ever re-appearing stinkbugs). In bed now, within a few minutes several stinkbugs buzzed around my head, attracted by my iPad’s light, warmth or both. I finally turned off the iPad, pulled the sheets over my head and went to sleep, with 3 of the bugs visible on the ceiling. YUCK….

When I told the lady at check-out the next morning about the disturbing stinkbugs, she laughed and said: “Oh yes, we have stinkbugs. They hibernate in the winter but come out this time of year. Everybody has them”. When I voiced my displeasure, she suggested I contact the Manager and gave me Dana M’s business card. Dana is listed as Front Office Manager, Environmental Manager, on her card.

140 miles up the road, the “The Mimslyn Inn”, apparently knew how to keep the critters at bay, because not one of them made it into my room.

I feel that if the Peaks of Otter Lodge knows they are unable to keep stinkbugs out of the rooms this time of year, one should be told before booking a room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank etessi
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter Lodge. I apologize for the issues with the stink bugs, we are currently working with the National Park Service to try and find a product that will keep bugs away. Unfortunately everything we have tried has been unsuccessful. I will certainly check with The Mimslyn Inn to see what they are using. Thank you for the suggestion. Again, thank you for taking the time to write about your visit to Peaks of Otter Lodge.
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Fantastic location with a beautiful lake which you walk around (.8M). Onsite restaurant which is also good. Love the rocking chair which you can move to the balcony and just relax. Rooms also have large WS TVs with limited channels.

Areas for improvement. Paper thin walls, so much so we were kept awake most of the evening by the person next door snoring. Wi-Fi needs upgrading, standing outside of the room to get a signal is not ideal. Lastly, Stink Bugs are everywhere, there must be something you can install in the rooms to keep them away?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark B
Dana M, Front Office Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear Mark,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter Lodge. I love the rocking chairs too, great way to relax on a beautiful spring day. In response to your recommendations, we recently had a contractor here to look into insulating the walls for soundproofing so we should have that issue resolved in the near future. We also had the cables laid for upgrading our internet signal, which is estimated to be completed in the next 2 weeks. The bad news is we have not found any solution that works to keep stink bugs away. We will continue trying different products and home remedies. I know eventually something will work. Thanks again for taking the time to share your feedback.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is the third time I've stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge, which is right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's always the same, which I find reassuring. The setting is gorgeous - there's a small lake right in front of the lodge, with a well-maintained trail with lighting all the way around it. In the past, we have seen an otter there, as well as bullfrogs, an egret, and deer. The room this time was pretty basic: it had two comfortable beds with basic bedding, a smallish but clean bathroom, and no Internet service. We stayed there with our pet dog, for a $25 fee. One drawback to the room was the TV service, which featured many obnoxious infomercials on all the channels. All shows were followed by long infomercials - return to normal TV channels please! Otherwise, it was a great visit.

Room Tip: If you need a pet-friendly room, reserve one by calling well in advance. You will need to ensure tha...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dana M, Front Office Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter Lodge. I know it is not the same as having the channels in the guest rooms, but we do offer high definition televisions with a wider selection of channels in the main lodge in the bar, lounge area, and the lower level den.

Thanks again,
Centralia, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

We Stayed At PEAKS OF OTTER LODGE For 3-Days In May While The Rhododendron & Azaleas Were In Bloom. Our Room, Overlooking The Lake & Peaks, Was Standard In Size, With A Balcony That Overlooked The Scene (Where We Spent A Lot of Time).

It Was A Short, Relatively Level Walk Along A Black Top Pathway To/From The Lower Level of The Main Building Where An Elevator Provides An Easy Lift To The Main Floor Where The Lobby & Restaurant Are Located, & From There, Another Pathway To/Around The Lake.

As Nature Lovers We Were Concerned That The of Swallows Nests In The Outdoor Porch Rafters of Our Lodge, Were Required By The Management To Be Demolished Daily By The Housekeepers.

An Easy WIN-WIN-WIN Would Be For The Management To: 1) Simply Put Up Wood Blocks To Cover Those Portals & Thus Keep The Swallows From Nesting There, 2) Saving The Staff Time, & 3) Making Your Environmentally Conscious Beings (Bird, Human Guests, & Staff) Happy.

The Restaurant Hours Were Not Convenient To The Guest's Time Frames, Nor Were The Front Desk Times For Early Checkouts.

But We Definitely LOVED The Setting!

Room Tip: EVERY ROOM Overlooks The Lake & Peaks. There Is A Handicapped Room In The Lower Level of The Mai...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Peaks of Otter Lodge. We are always happy to hear when someone enjoyed their stay as much as you did. Great suggestion about covering the beams to reduce the human bird interaction by the guest rooms.

Thanks again,
Salisbury, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed there Feb. 28 . First I must say that Dana ( desk clerk ) was very friendly, courteous and great smile. The rooms where about what I expected and clean with new tv's but no phones in room.. Was not able to get internet ( wifi ) or cell service. Then again if you want to get away from it all this is the place to go.
View over the lake and mountains are wonderful. Number of trails to walk or hike.
The lodge and dining area are beautiful. Can't say the same for the restaurant, price or the service. I will visit there again but would bring much of my own snacks or food.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ncjoe47
Dana M, Front Office Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your trip to Peaks of Otter. I am sorry to hear about your experience in our dining room. I will address the concerns you raised with our Chef and our Food and Beverage Manager. Please know that we take our role very seriously in protecting the integrity of the Peaks of Otter and we appreciate feedback such as yours to help us continue to improve our operation.

Sincerest Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Natural Bridge Park Historic Hotel
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Comfort Inn & Suites Lynchburg
Robert E Lee Hotel
Robert E Lee Hotel
#5 of 16 in Lexington
Hampton Inn & Suites Roanoke Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke

Been to Peaks of Otter Lodge? Share your experiences!