“Ideal Setting”

Peaks of Otter Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bedford
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Staying at Peaks of Otter is like stepping back in time. My room had two beds and was decent sized but otherwise pretty basic. The bathrooms are small but functional and even had a slot in the wall to drop old razor blades (I still wonder where all those blades go). No phone or clock but they have recently added flat screen TVs. The beds were quite comfortable and everything was clean. Each room has a large balcony or patio that overlooks the beautiful lake and Sharp Top Mountain.

I was never able to get internet access during my stay and there is no cell service but who cares. This place is about getting away from it all. The setting along the Blue Ridge Parkway is terrific. The grounds, the lake, and the views are beautiful. There are numerous trails for all skill levels and I was fortunate to spend three nights there in October near the peak of fall colors.

As others have mentioned the restaurant seems to be hit or miss. I had three meals during my stay including the dinner and breakfast buffets. Some of the selections on the buffet were quite good but others were pretty bad including a crunchy rice dish that wasn't even cooked. The servers were equally inconsistent with some being knowledgeable and professional and others simply clueless about the offerings. I trust that with time they will work out the problems in the restaurant. It would be a shame to let that detract from such a wonderful location.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Bluepaws
Dana M, Front Office Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

I apologize for the experience you had while visiting Peaks of Otter. We are working to have our internet system upgraded to create a stronger signal.

Consistency is definitely a key element is running a successful business and we apologize that we fell short of this expectatinn. I will be addressing the concerns you raised with the other Managers and our Chef to ensure we resolve these issues.

We will continue to strive to improve our operations and we hope you will return to see the changes we are making.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Wonderful view and rooms are not bad for age of lodge. But the restaurant is very, very slow. Servers were good but major problems in the kitchen. Had 3 meals, Friday night seafood buffet was the worst I have ever had. All prepackage seafood and not cooked well. Saturday breakfast was a joke. Lunch was good,fresh hamburger . Dinner Saturday night we ate snacks we brought with us. Poor selections on menu. None of the fireplaces were working and the bar was not open. Would have to think long and hard before we would go back.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

I apologize for the experience you had while visiting Peaks of Otter. We never like to hear a guest left with a negative experience. I will be addressing the concerns you raised with our Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to ensure we make the necessary changes.

We were able to get the fireplaces working again and we hope you will return to enjoy them and to see the changes we are making.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed overnight in October and enjoyed our stay. The room on the ground floor was clean and comfortable although the bathroom facilities were of but what we expected for the age of the lodge. The scenery was beautiful and the walk around the lake was an easy walk. The restaurant was disappointing for the price. Dinner was very ordinary and service was slow. The wine we ordered was warm, apparently there was no chilled white wine. There were 2 tables of travel agents there and I think all the attention was on providing them with a favourable experience. Breakfast was good if expensive and the service was better. The view from the restaurant over the lake was spectacular. We would stay there again and recommend it to friends but hopefully the new management will improve the restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dana M, Front Office Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank for sharing your feedback. I will be sure to discuss the concerns you raised with my team here at Peaks to work to improve our operations in the restaurant. We never want our guest to leave feeling the way you felt about your visit to Peaks of Otter. Please know that we appreciate you taking the time to help us to create a better experience for our guest.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

A couple (long-time friends from USCG time) choose Peaks of Otter as our location for a short visit between leaf season and the winter hours. Our rooms were side by side and on the ground floor so it made visiting outdoors on the patio most enjoyable. The weather cooperated with reasonably wram temperatures making an enjoyable visit. The food and staff in the restaurant was great --- seafood/prime rib buffet on Friday evening, particularly.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side overlook a beautiful lake.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter. We are working to upgrade our guest rooms in 2014. This includes sound proofing equipment to reduce the noise between rooms, irons, ironing boards, hairdryers, new soft goods including linens. We hope you will return to see the changes we are making!

Thanks again,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I'm giving this place three stars because of it's location. It's a beautiful setting and there are many trails you can walk for any distance and level of challenge. I'm sure the operators are paying a hefty price so I can excuse the cost, but be prepared to pay for this location. The room are arranged along a small lake, and have balconies. The beds are comfortable. Otherwise, the rooms are pretty much what was built in the 50's. There's even a slot in the bathroom wall for used razor blades. We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. Again, we expected to pay a premium for the location. The service at dinner was very good. We passed on the buffet and had a light meal, which was ok. At breakfast we opted for the buffet which was extensive and average for the genre. The service was awful, but I think we just lucked into the wrong waitress. The others seemed busy and attentive but ours disappeared. If you are travelling the Parkway, stay here for the location, but don't get your expectations up.

Room Tip: All the room are equal for location. You will have to go up and down a short flight of stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert P, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

I apologize for the experience you had in our dining room. I will be looking into your concern and addressing them with my team. We are working to update the guest rooms. By next spring, we will have new linens, comforters, mattress covers, local artwork, and soundproofing equipment to reduce the noise traveling between the guest rooms. We will be adding several new renovations to the main lodge. Please check back to see the changes we are making. Again, we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Great place, very peaceful. Staff in all departments is awesome. Ate in the restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Staff and food was great. Aaron went out of his way for my hot tea. Will be back soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank rpeters69

Thank you for your feedback, I will be sure to let Aaron know what a great job he is doing!

Sincerest Regards,'

Reviewed November 11, 2013

On the Blue Ridge Parkway, there are only three official places to stay (although there are many off the roadway if you leave the parkway). The most northerly one is Peaks of Otter. It is located between the Peaks of Otter, two mountains. The back of the units look on a serene lake with Sharp Top mountain towering over it. If you are adventurous, you can hike up the mountain, a 1.5 strenuous hike, or if you are not quite as adventurous, you can take a bus to the top, when you can hike the final 1500 ft to the summit. The cost is 8.00 for a round trip ticket (or you can buy a one way ticket and hike down). There is a restaurant with a view of the lake. When I stayed there, I had a breakfast buffet which was pretty good, not great, but good enough. After all the appeal with eating there was the view. Both the hotel and the restaurant is a bit pricey. Our room ran 150.00 for the night. If you went to the Friday night buffet, it was 27.50 per person. The Sunday morning buffet was around 15.00 per person. I would stay there again, but would find it difficult to stay there multiple days because of the cost. The only issue was the room was a bit chilly (we did not know that the heat was not on) and I could not find any plugs that were not already in use, I had to unplug the clock and a light so I could charge my devices. I did not use my computer there, but had been warned by the front desk that it was not reliable. You would stay there for the view and the proximity to the Parkway. Oh and the tv only had about seven channels. You might want to bring a dvd player.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter. I also want to thank you for taking such great pictures and sharing them with our other viewers on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the internet, unfortunately we had some issues with the signal not being very strong in all of our guest rooms.

Sincerest Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Natural Bridge Historic Hotel & Conference Center
The Hotel Roanoke & Conference Center, Curio Collection by Hilton
Hampton Inn & Suites Lynchburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Roanoke
Holiday Inn Express Troutville-Roanoke North
Cambria Hotel & Suites
Cambria Hotel & Suites
#7 of 40 in Roanoke

Been to Peaks of Otter Lodge? Share your experiences!