“Peaceful” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ipswich, Australia
“Peaceful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed overnight in October and enjoyed our stay. The room on the ground floor was clean and comfortable although the bathroom facilities were of but what we expected for the age of the lodge. The scenery was beautiful and the walk around the lake was an easy walk. The restaurant was disappointing for the price. Dinner was very ordinary and service was slow. The wine we ordered was warm, apparently there was no chilled white wine. There were 2 tables of travel agents there and I think all the attention was on providing them with a favourable experience. Breakfast was good if expensive and the service was better. The view from the restaurant over the lake was spectacular. We would stay there again and recommend it to friends but hopefully the new management will improve the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dana M, Front Office Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank for sharing your feedback. I will be sure to discuss the concerns you raised with my team here at Peaks to work to improve our operations in the restaurant. We never want our guest to leave feeling the way you felt about your visit to Peaks of Otter. Please know that we appreciate you taking the time to help us to create a better experience for our guest.

Sincerest Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Korean first
Asheville, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

A couple (long-time friends from USCG time) choose Peaks of Otter as our location for a short visit between leaf season and the winter hours. Our rooms were side by side and on the ground floor so it made visiting outdoors on the patio most enjoyable. The weather cooperated with reasonably wram temperatures making an enjoyable visit. The food and staff in the restaurant was great --- seafood/prime rib buffet on Friday evening, particularly.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side overlook a beautiful lake.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter. We are working to upgrade our guest rooms in 2014. This includes sound proofing equipment to reduce the noise between rooms, irons, ironing boards, hairdryers, new soft goods including linens. We hope you will return to see the changes we are making!

Thanks again,
Iola
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I'm giving this place three stars because of it's location. It's a beautiful setting and there are many trails you can walk for any distance and level of challenge. I'm sure the operators are paying a hefty price so I can excuse the cost, but be prepared to pay for this location. The room are arranged along a small lake, and have balconies. The beds are comfortable. Otherwise, the rooms are pretty much what was built in the 50's. There's even a slot in the bathroom wall for used razor blades. We ate dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. Again, we expected to pay a premium for the location. The service at dinner was very good. We passed on the buffet and had a light meal, which was ok. At breakfast we opted for the buffet which was extensive and average for the genre. The service was awful, but I think we just lucked into the wrong waitress. The others seemed busy and attentive but ours disappeared. If you are travelling the Parkway, stay here for the location, but don't get your expectations up.

Room Tip: All the room are equal for location. You will have to go up and down a short flight of stairs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Robert P, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
I apologize for the experience you had in our dining room. I will be looking into your concern and addressing them with my team. We are working to update the guest rooms. By next spring, we will have new linens, comforters, mattress covers, local artwork, and soundproofing equipment to reduce the noise traveling between the guest rooms. We will be adding several new renovations to the main lodge. Please check back to see the changes we are making. Again, we appreciate your feedback.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Great place, very peaceful. Staff in all departments is awesome. Ate in the restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Staff and food was great. Aaron went out of his way for my hot tea. Will be back soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rpeters69
Thank you for your feedback, I will be sure to let Aaron know what a great job he is doing!

Sincerest Regards,'
Conyers, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

On the Blue Ridge Parkway, there are only three official places to stay (although there are many off the roadway if you leave the parkway). The most northerly one is Peaks of Otter. It is located between the Peaks of Otter, two mountains. The back of the units look on a serene lake with Sharp Top mountain towering over it. If you are adventurous, you can hike up the mountain, a 1.5 strenuous hike, or if you are not quite as adventurous, you can take a bus to the top, when you can hike the final 1500 ft to the summit. The cost is 8.00 for a round trip ticket (or you can buy a one way ticket and hike down). There is a restaurant with a view of the lake. When I stayed there, I had a breakfast buffet which was pretty good, not great, but good enough. After all the appeal with eating there was the view. Both the hotel and the restaurant is a bit pricey. Our room ran 150.00 for the night. If you went to the Friday night buffet, it was 27.50 per person. The Sunday morning buffet was around 15.00 per person. I would stay there again, but would find it difficult to stay there multiple days because of the cost. The only issue was the room was a bit chilly (we did not know that the heat was not on) and I could not find any plugs that were not already in use, I had to unplug the clock and a light so I could charge my devices. I did not use my computer there, but had been warned by the front desk that it was not reliable. You would stay there for the view and the proximity to the Parkway. Oh and the tv only had about seven channels. You might want to bring a dvd player.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter. I also want to thank you for taking such great pictures and sharing them with our other viewers on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the internet, unfortunately we had some issues with the signal not being very strong in all of our guest rooms.

Indian Trail, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

True travelers who enjoy the beauty and serenity of the parkway will find this lodge's accomodations to provide a comfortable night's rest in a lovely setting. The lodge is what one would typically expect to find on the parkway or national park. I believe the lodge was built in the 1960's and is typical of that era. The setting is nice with the lake view and a view of the mountains. The ground floor rooms have terraces and the upper rooms have balconies with a couple of chairs so you can sit out and enjoy the view. We found the room to be clean and quite nice. Our room had two double beds, a rocking chair and an upholstered chair. The bed was comfortable, extra pillows and a blanket were available in the room. There was a flat screen TV, Keurig single cup coffee maker, but only two packets of decaf coffee and one of tea. The bathroom was small, standard for the time the lodge was built. Shampoo and shower gel dispensers in the shower/tub combo. The only outlet in the bathroom was at the top of the mirror which was inconvenient for using a hair dryer (which is not included in the bathroom). There was an accessible outlet in the room near the mirror which was used for the hair dryer. The room and bathroom were clean which is the most important thing. The dining area is in a separate building and within walking distance of the lodge, which also contains the registration desk and a gift shop. A small country store is just across the road a short distance, but closes early. The lodge is near the town of Bedford, VA. We did not have cell phone service in the room. One stays on the parkway to enjoy the surroundings, if you need more luxury than this, then perhaps a place closer to Smith Mountain Lake might suit your needs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and our trip adivsor viewers. I really appreciate you giving such a pleasant description of Peaks of Otter. Please be sure to say hello if your travels should bring you back this way.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I have been visiting the Peaks of Otter Lodge for years. In fact, we went there on our honeymoon 34 years ago. We were eagerly anticipating our visit from October 20 -22, 2013. We were aware that the lodge is under new management. We were also aware that it is a basic motel and the prime reason for visiting the lodge is to enjoy the view and a good meal. I am giving the lodge a rating of 2 only because the view is still beautiful. Our room was a complete and total disappointment. The receptionist that checked us in was rather rude and condescending to any questions we asked. This was further evident when we listened to her make comments about customers' complaints about the food in the restaurant.
The new management company has spent a considerable amount of money installing flat screen tv's in all rooms. Perhaps that money would have been better spent on housekeeping. I immediately noticed that the Keurig coffee maker in the room was covered in dust. The table by the window had crumbs of cookies under it. The bath tub had hair in it. I know it was not my hair because I am not a blonde. The final straw was when I sat down in the upholstered chair in the room and we could see a dust cloud coming out of the chair. We could seriously see the dust particles in the sunlight. It made me wonder how clean the bedspreads were.
The grounds and the exterior of the lodge are well maintained and give the appearance of a nice place to say. The old saying of "you can't judge a book by its cover" certainly applies to this establishment.
The restaurant is another story (not a good one) and will be reviewed in a separate review.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda R
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had. This is certainly not up to our standards. I have addressed your concerns about the guest rooms with our housekeepers and we will work as a team to ensure this never happens again. Again, thanks for your feedback.

Sincerest Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Natural Bridge Hotel & Conference Center
Cambria Hotel & Suites
Cambria Hotel & Suites
#4 of 39 in Roanoke
4.5 of 5 stars 653 reviews

Been to Peaks of Otter Lodge? Share your experiences!