“Wonderful Mountain B&B”
Review of Reba Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bedford
Reba Farm Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Bedford B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We enjoyed a long holiday weekend at Reba Farm Inn. The accommodations were wonderful and the hosts, Ron and Kathleen, were very friendly and considerate. As a family traveling with young children, we were very happy to find a B&B that was family/kid friendly. We stayed in the Spring House Cottage which was perfect for the 4 of us. Other family members joined us on this trip and stayed in the main house and the carriage house and also enjoyed their accommodations. Kathleen makes a wonderful breakfast and was able to adjust to dietary restrictions of guests; she also made sure the kids had "fun" food that was very much like the main meal but prepared and ready for kids to eat. The pool was great and there was shade around the pool to lounge on the chairs and relax; the hot tub was also a big hit and you can't beat the views of the mountains around you as you relax in the pool or hot tub. TThere was also a playroom for the kids (or adults) and plenty of green space to run around and play. We also arranged for a horseback ride which was a huge success for all that went. The kids had a fabulous time and the adults took in the spectacular views. Ron and Kathleen ensured the children were safe during the entire ride and matched each rider well to their horse and gave us guidance as we rode. The other seasoned riders that went with us took pictures, taught us about riding and answered any questions we had. The ride was well beyond any typical trail ride we had ever experienced previously. Ron and Kathleen helped us plan the best day for riding given there were thunderstorms and rain forecasted for most of our stay. It was a wonderful memory to have of this trip. Since returning, I have already recommended the Inn to another family who was interested in a riding experience. Reba Farm Inn is a fabulous place to visit and stay when you want to get away from hustle and bustle of city/suburban life and enjoy some peaceful and quiet time in the mountains/country. I would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: If traveling with family, as for the Carriage House or Spring House cottage so you have more space...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LIZ R

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We recently stayed at Reba Farm over the 4th of July weekend and had a wonderful experience! The area is absolutely beautiful and their farm is situated in a quiet, peaceful setting. The pool was refreshing and the hot tub warming during our rainy weather days! We were a family of ten altogether renting 3 rooms...two families of four with children ranging from 3 yrs to 6 yrs, plus one set of grandparents in their 80s. The hosts, Kathleen and Ron, went out of their way to accommodate the grandparents. Initially, they were booked for the Rumble Seat Rm, but upon arrival, they were moved to a more accessible and comfortable room better suited for their needs...charged at the same/less expensive rate as originally quoted! Additionally, when we made a request to be served gluten-free/wheat-free food if/where possible, Kathleen went above and beyond to not only meet our request, but exceeded the expectation with delicious gluten/wheat free breads, waffles, french toast, pancakes, plus many other egg, meat, and local dishes. She was also sensitive to the children's tastes/needs...by serving them easy-to-eat cut-up fresh fruit and entrees that they loved! The dinner 4thof Jul BBQ was plentiful and delicious. Amazing quantity and diverse options. I can tell you...the meals are fantastic and well-worth looking forward to! Nine of us took a horse ride...and Ron and Kathleen led/handled our needs expertly. There is no doubt that they love those horses and know what they are doing. It's impressive and heart-warming to see how they care for the many rescued and donated. Despite the rain (out of our control!), the ride was fantastic...safely led through the beautiful countryside. Ron knew exactly which horse to pair up with what person...and which experienced rider to pair up with each of our young children. Nate, Norr, and India work for the hosts and were great help/fun on the ride. I felt 100% comfortable we were in good hands! Kathleen and Ron are a great team, and their accommodation reflects their effort, care, and hospitality. You won't be disappointed! I would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Choose the Cottage if you have a family of four and if available. Otherwise, the Take Room is suita...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Angela D
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I felt very unwelcome the entire trip. My boyfriend and I had arrived on a tip from a friend and multiple-returner to Reba Farm. We were greeted politely, but everything else after that went downhill. I had "broken" a house rule and was quickly corrected. I rectified my mistake and apologized. I put my feet up on a metal chair on the front porch and was harshly reprimanded - too harshly I believed for a misunderstanding. The owners spoke to us very little (unless they were telling me I was doing something wrong) and to the other guests on the property very frequently. We were beginning to feel like we were left out - maybe even unimportant? Sure felt that way.

The trail was fun... for my boyfriend. He had never ridden before and was able to walk, trot, canter, gallop, and jump, so of course he was excited! However, we were not allowed to ride together - we had been placed on horses too separate in the pecking order. My 20 years of english riding experience were not taken into consideration. I had always been told to take a "galloping position" when riding across the country but was again reprimanded for that. I was told that if I put any weight forward, that the hind end would come up. Took me some time to get used to a western saddle. Unfortunately for me, the ride leader was more interested in criticizing than working with my education and background. I was pleased that my boyfriend enjoyed his ride, but was much happier to get home to my barn. For people who want a unique trail riding experience, take the opportunity to go with them. I'd suggest staying somewhere else, though.

I won't be going back. I was disappointed. I hope if you choose to make the trip, it is better than the one I experienced.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BeachRide
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We did not stay at the Inn but went only for a family horseback ride at Saddle Soar. We were staying at nearby Smith Mountain Lake and it was a quick drive over to Bedford. We have some experience with horses so we just expected a standard trail ride but it is much more than that! The staff is gruff at first, yes, but it is because they are teaching you things you will need later. And they spend the first part of the ride correcting you but we liked that. It was cool to learn the right way to ride instead of just bumping along and being sore later.

We took our 2 young daughters with us (ages 7 & 8) and they were very kind to the kids. The other party of 4 showed up 45 minutes late and to the credit of the owners they went off to look for them at the Inn rather than leave without them. And we had originally scheduled our visit for Easter Sunday but it rained. So I called 3 hours before our schedule time. We made a plan to talk 1 hour later hoping the rain would stop. It didn't so they graciously moved us to the next day. The driving instructions they provide via e-mail and e-mail confirmations are great!

Along the ride they teach you how to maneuver the horses properly, how to communicate with them and about the horses. They have a natural pecking order so they put us on horses that would stick with the horses our children we on. The man and woman who are the owners were very friendly to chat with once instructions were done and we were out on the trail. They were very informative about horses and I could tell they loved what they do. Nate, the intern/worker who also rode with us, was high school aged and kept a great eye on my kiddos when we were single file or when the pack split up a bit.

It was a very cold, windy day when we went but we had so much fun we forgot about the cold until the ride was done. Totally will go back in warmer weather. The views along the ride are gorgeous! Wonderful experience for the whole family!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HattieMags
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Went for a trail ride last fall. Scenery is breathtaking but the bad attitude coming from the female owner (was never told her name) really put a damper on the ride. I've been riding my entire life and the way she talked to the newbies was horrible. Her pairing of horse with rider was way off as well. Thank goodness her husband has a more laid back friendly attitude. If we go again hopefully she'll stay back at the barn! I can't give a review of the B and B....when we asked to take a peek as we were considering coming back at Christmas time we were shot down. Only paying guests can see the rooms?? Makes you wonder what they're trying to hide.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank ridefar
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our group of three adults and two small children stayed in the cottage for four nights. It was amazing!!!! I read Virgina007's review and was a little nervous, but I am so glad we went! This is a bed and breakfast, it is not a hotel. It is also the home base for a working horse farm and rescue operation, so the owners are not around all day, which actually made us feel like we had the whole place to ourself! The breakfasts Kathleen made were amazing. In terms of the review mentioned, the game room is a little musty, but turning on the air conditioner lets the room breathe. I'm guessing it doesn't get visited too much- after all, who wants to spend time in a game room when you can hang in the Blue Ridge Mtns? For the most part, the horses stay at the other end of the farm, which is over a mile away. I went on two rides, and one of the rides my children (2 and 4) also rode horses. It was beautiful. There are going to be gravel roads (note- do NOT follow your GPS, call the Inn and ask for the best way to get there), and if you are looking for a little mountain paradise, this is your place. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The cottage is a great place to stay, but only breakfast is served... make sure you pack snacks and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NJTravelinFam
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I had stayed at this bed & breakfast a couple of times over the past few years. I did have a good experience up until I booked this place for my first anniversary with my wife. I had no reason to doubt that everything would be as I had remembered it from my past stay's there. Boy was I ever wrong! When I drove up the driveway it was in such a state of disrepair that you needed a 4 wheel drive just to get up to the house. There was no one to greet us and we arrived there at 3 that afternoon. There was a note on the door of the game room which told us to go to this certain room over the game room. The game room itself was musty smelling and the air hockey game looked as if someone had put their fist through the top. the pool table looked as if someone had taken a hammer and started to chip away around the sides of the table.Our "room" was to be over this musty smelling "game room" which when we went up to look at it, it smelled too! The room also had no TV or any kind of music! Some old looking tub didn't look too good either.Then we went to look at the "pool" which looked as if no one had gone in it for over a year.The "hot tub" had COLD water in it and the jets did not work. The fence around the property looked as if a good breeze would knock it over. No horses were to be seen anywhere. This is a horse farm? The grass around the house had not been mowed in a few weeks.Needless to say I was not going to stay any night here. I left here and will never go back here. In my opinion the owners here let this place get run down and still expect you to pay over 100.00$ a night for this musty smelling run down "farm". My advice: Don't go here!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Virginian007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Peaks of Otter Lodge
#4 of 5 in Troutville
Super 8 Bedford
Super 8 Bedford
#2 of 4 in Bedford

Been to Reba Farm Inn? Share your experiences!