“Cozy orchard with charming little store”
Review of Johnson's Orchards

Johnson's Orchards
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Bedford
Reviewed September 9, 2013

This cozy orchard is located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains near Roanoke, Virginia and about 8 miles from scenic Blue Ridge Parkway. You can pick your own apples and picnic in their pavilion, and they also have an affiliated vacation rental home and winery. Recommended!

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We stopped by the Peaks of Otter Winery as part of a day trip while visiting Smith Mountain lake. I'm glad we did. The wine tasting was fun, and we left with a few bottles of delicious fruit wine.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Peaks of Otter Winery is somewhat hidden -- if you don't know you're looking for it, I can't imagine you'd just randomly stumble across it. Our toddler was napping, so we wanted to find some way to pass the time while she slept -- and we ended up at the Winery. However, we were very pleased with our experience there!

A tasting is free if you bring your own glass, or you can purchase one of theirs for $3, which was what we chose to do. The girl informed us then that the tasting is for "Thirty-five wines, but if that's too many, we'll just hit the highlights." The tastings are small servings, but just keep that in mind -- thirty-five wines! -- when you go! However, the farm itself is a large size, so after we did our tasting, we did explore the barn in which they serve you, as well as the farm behind the building. They have an assortment of animals that you can visit, so it's great if you have little ones with you, or are just looking to burn off some of the wine before getting back into the car.

As far as their wines go, the majority are more of a novelty thing than anything. Kiss the Devil, for example, I'm sure would make a great chili -- but to buy an entire bottle seemed wasteful to me, since I'd never use the entire thing for meals before it would go badly. I wish they sold that one in a smaller bottle, I would have been all over that! Our favorite was an off-dry apple wine; simple and crisp, so delicious. All the wines we tasted were good, but there were many that I know I couldn't drink a full glass of, let alone split a bottle. They are on the sweeter side, as far as wines go, but they have a knack for delivering good taste for a reasonable price!

All in all, if you're in the area and like to taste wines, I highly suggest POA. It was a great experience and we had a lot of fun!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was worth the drive to visit this "sweet" wine-tasting site. They have wine-tasting in which you purchase a small glass ($3-4). Very knowledgeable staff working there. What i didnt know until i was leaving is that you can purchase the fruit from the orchards. You pick and pay by the pound. Great concept, great atmosphere, just great!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

July always brings the "Horse & Hound Festival" to the Johnson's Orchard each year. We attend to see the horse exhibits, the dogs having fun with their owners, arts and crafts & delicious food for sale & various wineries offering samples from their vineyards. A band performs wonderful music on stage throughout the festivities. It's always a fun time for all!