“Peaks of Otter Winery”
Review of Johnson's Orchards

Johnson's Orchards
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Bedford
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Peaks of Otter Winery is off the beaten path but is well worth finding it if you like sweet, sweet wine that you can't find at other wineries. The tastings of the wines makes it hard to just buy one or two different bottles. We ended up getting a variety case.

1  Thank UKBlueCrow

Reviewed October 19, 2010

We drove quite a few hours to go to this orchard for a day of apple picking for my 8 year old son's birthday. Their website stated that apple picking went through October. Well there were still apples on the trees but they were roped off because ...guess what ...you couldn't pick them . That's right...they are listed with the all the "pick your own" websites but they reserve the orchards for field trips for schools this part of the season. We asked if my son could pick just one apple since it was his birthday and there was no mention of this anywhere on their website. He was EXTREMELY rude ...and despite my son's starting to cry... adamantly said no. He then loudly proceeds to put on a "wine " tasting (fruit wines) and was so unbelievably crass that I had to scoot my kids away...I will not go into what was said (TTrip Advisor wouldn't allow my first version which quoted him)......but lets just say I was appalled how he was handling himself given we were not the only family with kids there in the store looking through the bins trying to fill a bag with apples to take home. When my son left, he picked up an apple he FOUND ON THE GROUND...he came out and yelled at him! NEVER again! what a horrible way to ruin a child's birthday!!!

10  Thank dukefans
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Johnson's Orchards. Also Peaks of Otter Winery. A great place to sample wines. If you are in the Bedford area. A nice size apple , peach orchard in Bedford county. That has agreat winery. Fantasic fruit wines. With close to 40 varities of wine flavors unknown to anyone else and you can taste and sample them all. Tough to find . But well worth the visit.

Reviewed November 3, 2008

While my family was on vacation in Virginia, I wanted to take my kids to an apple orchard on our trip up to the Peaks of Otter. I had a thirst for fresh apple cider and this orchard appeared to have its act together online as opposed to some of the others in the area.

The location is actually fairly easy to find when you leave Bedford heading toward the peaks. There is signs along the road helping you find this terrific location. As you drive up the hill to the complex you are quickly impressed by the views of the Peaks of Otter and the 15-foot tall statue of Johnny Appleseed.

There were picnic tables and plenty of evidence that this orchard caters heavily to tourists and school groups.

The main store at the orchard was split nearly evenly between their winery (Peaks of Otter Winery) and the apples. I looked everywhere without luck trying to find where they kept their cider. But when I arrived at the register looking for help, the lady matter of factly indicated they hadn't made any cider in four days. She proudly stated that they don't pasteurize any cider so it is first come, first serve. Considering this was October at the peak of cider season, I was incredulous. She didn't have much sumpathy as I begged her to check the back for anymore bottles.

Frustrated and ciderless, we checked out the grounds of the orchard. There was a garage with a '33 Chevrolet and and '70s vintage Trumph Spitfire along with a small antique tractor. The kids all got a kick out of sitting behind the wheel of each.

Frankly the views and layout of this orchard make it an obvious choice for future visits. But being an apple orchard without cider is inexcusable and we will be going to their less attractive but better stocked competition at Gross' Orchard on our next visit.

2  Thank SlyFox_TX