“Thanksgiving Buffet - SUPER - and ignore old reviews of this place”

Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 60 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: As old as the hills . . . The Peaks of Otter have drawn settlers and travelers to the region for more than 8,000 years. The community whose vestiges remain to be explored today had its beginning in 1766 when Thomas Wood arrived from Pennsylvania.The wife of one of Wood’s descendants would open her home as the area’s first lodging for travelers in 1834. By the late 1800s, Peaks of Otter would be home to some 20 families, a school, a church, and a resort hotel. In the mid 1900s, the location was selected for special attention as the National Parks Service developed recreation and service areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Abbott Lake was constructed and the Peaks of Otter Lodge opened in 1964.Today, we invite you to be part of the future of this storied natural and cultural destination as it continues to attract visitors and travelers in the 21st century.
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Locals remember how rightly popular the Friday and Sunday buffets were in the past, and we were sad to see the food quality and service go downhill, especially over the last couple of years (up to 2012). So we had been looking forward to giving it a try after the re-opening by the new operators. We had no special Thanksgiving plans today, so we gave it a try - AND WE ARE GLAD THAT WE DID!

So - ignore all reviews of this place made on or before 2012 - it is now running under completely new and different management. And it has improved!

We found every dish on the buffet to be fresh, well cooked, and tasty. We were hoping that the food quality would match what we recalled in the Sunday buffets of 10-20 years ago - but today's fare actually exceeded it. This was a really pleasant surprise.

There was one glitch with the service, but we believe it was a one-time special case, and related to the super-busy day anyway.

Now we are looking forward to returning to return to try out the Friday seafood and Sunday "traditional" buffets.

1  Thank global-engineer

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We always enjoyed the breakfast buffet on weekends, and was glad that the lodge was up and running again. The food was very good, they have a waffle station with fruit spreads you can use if you want to try that instead of syrup. They are still working on adding other items, so they appreciate any comments you may have. We recommended adding sausage to the gravy, and fried apples like they used to have. The orange cranberry muffins were so moist and delicious! We were very satisfied with everything, as always the views are beautiful~!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

After reading all the reviews I was worried that the retreat I had been going to for years had changed for the worse. Wrong! All was in order and I was glad to see many of the friends I had made on my past visits still worked there. The food was great and thats not just my opinion. I asked smiling people that were on there way out of the restaurant what they thought of the meal and the locals stated that it was delicious and it was more food than they could eat. They had enjoyed the Friday seafood specials. My family of six each had different meals and all enjoyed to the last bite. I saw the salad bar and it looked very appetizing. The carving station was up and running. The salad bar chef kept everything well stocked, the chef came out to the dining area to see peoples reactions to his dishes. Everything that one might expect in a well run restaurant. The desserts were delicious. I spoke to all the staff during my visit, the house keepers, the gift shop staff, the front desk staff, the carving station personnel (who is also a volunteer fireman), the hostess and the waitresses all who were very professional and showed that they were proud to be part of a special part of the world tucked away in the Virginia mountains. All I can say is that the staff and the food and of course the views all put together make Peaks of Otter the special retreat my family has enjoyed since they opened in the 1960's.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

the view is the reason to eat there The pricing is a bit high, but not too much so. The Friday night buffet (prime rib/seafood) is 27.50, the breakfast buffet was around 15.00. It is the restaurant on the grounds of the Peaks of Otter Lodge. If you are staying there, it is partly a convenience to eat there also. Otherwise you have to try and find a place to eat.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I've been staying at the Peaks of Otter Lodge for 10 years (for my annual hiking vacation). The only restaurant in the area is this one at the lodge. In the past only breakfast was edible (and delicious) in the past. I never ate lunch there as I was always on a hike (with food I brought with me from home) during the day. Dinner was dominated by heavy fried foods with lots of thick cream sauces (for instance, the pasta was only available with a heavy alfredo sauce - no tomato or olive oil choice available). The new owners have kept the great southern menu, but now offer lots of healthy food, too (for instance - green beans are now fresh and crisp versus being very soggy and over-cooked (and probably canned) and broccoli is simply steamed (yum). Ham is now optional in most selections (this is great for vegetarians - which I'm not and others that either don't eat pork products or are simply watching their diet.

All selections are much better except for the grits. Ironically these used to be simple grits - the delicious non-fat ones that you could dress up any way you like on your own. Now the restaurant serves only what they call "Cheesey Grits" - which the menu actually credits with being a whopping 532 calories!

The Wine selection has also greatly improved.

I'm from Philadelphia where there's lots of good and great restaurants to choose from. The new Peaks of Otter restaurant is one I would go to if it were in Philadelphia!