“No room for second chance!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant

Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 57 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: As old as the hills . . . The Peaks of Otter have drawn settlers and travelers to the region for more than 8,000 years. The community whose vestiges remain to be explored today had its beginning in 1766 when Thomas Wood arrived from Pennsylvania.The wife of one of Wood’s descendants would open her home as the area’s first lodging for travelers in 1834. By the late 1800s, Peaks of Otter would be home to some 20 families, a school, a church, and a resort hotel. In the mid 1900s, the location was selected for special attention as the National Parks Service developed recreation and service areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Abbott Lake was constructed and the Peaks of Otter Lodge opened in 1964.Today, we invite you to be part of the future of this storied natural and cultural destination as it continues to attract visitors and travelers in the 21st century.
Rocky Mount, Virginia
“No room for second chance!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

My family had dinner at the Peaks of Otter buffet on Saturday October 19, 2013. We had fequently enjoyed this restaurant in the past under the previous management. This meal was a total reversal! The quality of the food was poor. The preperation of the food was equally bad. The presentation of the food was totally cafeteria. Although our waiter was good, the rest of the staff had no clue. Lots of people were complaining. There was a lot of customer anger expressed in the line. Our family has never been picky restaurant patrons. We don't complain, but I can't say anything good about our experience. The price was outrageous for this poor effort. There will be no second chance.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank john s
Robert P, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
John I apologize for the experience you had while you were visiting Peaks of Otter. This is certainly not up to our standards. I know you are probably busy, but I would appreciate if you would call me directly at Peaks of Otter to elaborate on your experience.

The number here is 540-586-1081

• Korean first
Pensacola, FL
“Great view - Nice lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I try to use the restaurants along the blue ridge parkway as a way to of course eat, but to help keep them open. While in Blacksburg this weekend we drove up to the peaks of otter for llunch. the building is getting a much needed rennovation at the present moment however we did not find anything wrong with the restaurant.
They offered a two choice buffet, one a hot luncheon and theother a soup and cold sandwich buffet. We chose he soup and sandwich buffet. It was a bottomless salad, soup along with a dessert of lemon bars and pound cake for dessert. Sandwich meats were roast beef, Country cured Ham, and turkey along with cheeses and veggies. We found these items to be very good tasting and priced for any budget.
The view is excellent although this tie we did not see the otters as usual.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for giving us your feedback about your experience here at Peaks of Otter. We are always happy to hear that we have met one of our guest expectations. We look forward to having you as a guest in the future!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We have been visiting the Peaks of Otter for years. We were aware they are under new management and know that the lodge had been closed temporarily because of the government shut down. However, they had been open for over a week before our arrival. Prior to booking the reservation for the lodge, we checked out the menus because I have very specific dietary needs. The menus listed on-line and in the book in the room list healthy options. We were shocked to find out that they were serving a buffet for all meals. I looked at the buffet the first night and saw fried chicken, beef covered in gravy, and some type of mystery meat. There was a very lmited salad bar. We drove into Bedford to find a decent meal. My husband ate the $12.95 breakfast buffet and described the food as "insitutional and unappetizing". He will eat almost anything and said the selection was very limited and not well cooked. We do not plan to make any return trips to this lodge and restaurant unless they make significant improvements.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Linda R
Robert P, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter. Thank you for giving us your feedback so that we may better improve our operations. Your experience is certainly not up to our standards. We hope that you will return to see the changes we are making.

Reston, Virginia
“Slow Service, Average Food, Great View”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had breakfast on a Saturday morning. It took ten minutes from the time I was seated until a waiter asked if I wanted something to drink. Another five to get the coffee I asked for. And it wasn't busy! I had to ask for a menu. I passed on the buffet because it looked like pretty standard fare and I didn't find the presentation particularly appealing. Instead, I ordered an omelet, home fries, and toast. The omelet was pretty good, the potatoes okay, and I ended up eating the toast dry as it seemed that by the time a waiter came by so I could ask for butter or jelly, it would be stale. All in all, a very disappointing dining experience... but the view was great!

Visited October 2013
3 Thank kenbrad
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I sincerely apologize for your experience. I will be looking into your concerns and addressing them with my team. Again, thank you for your comments.

Disputanta, Virginia, United States
“Overpriced, abysmal and disorganized service, double charged gratuities”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My party of 9 extremely laid back individuals thought it would be a wonderful idea to visit the lodge and have lunch there. As we knew it was peak weekend, we expected to wait for a while, but we were greeted with anything but pleasantries, and there were many people waiting ahead of us. After an hour, and after watching parties continue to be seated, we finally decided to ask why we had not yet been seated. At this point, we were assured that they were preparing tables for our party. A few moments later, we were finally seated.

Once we got in, we looked around to find the seating area was not even completely filled, and again, wondered why we were left to sit and wait for so long.

Once the waitress came to our table, she informed us that it was "quicker" to go with the buffet, and that she would be "right back" to take our drink orders. At that time, there were four of the nine that decided they wanted to look at the menu, as the buffet did not appeal to them. When the waitress came back, she brought 3 menus.

When we got ready to order, she asked if we wanted everything together, and we said no, that the tickets would be separate. At that point, she said it would be easier for HER if she put it all on one ticket and we could divide it later.

Those of us who chose the buffet were disappointed - sandwich fixings, bread and salad bar, soup and dessert bars were not tended well AT ALL. Lettuce pan was empty, and a server glanced at the bar and didn't even notice until the 2nd look that it was empty. Soup tureen was close to empty, utensils for picking up cheese slices weren't easy to use, unless you wanted half a pound of cheese.

The chicken was greasy, the chopped greens were unseasoned, and there were no condiments within reach.

While the Five of us who chose the buffet over ordering from the menu were finished with our meal, the 4 that ordered off the menu were not served until everyone else was done.

When our drink orders were taken at the beginning, (simple orders, tea, coffee, water), when it was FINALLY delivered after 7 or 8 minutes of waiting, the coffee was terrible, tasted burned and lukewarm, and there wasn't enough left in the carafe for the two of us who chose to drink coffee. I asked for water from the beginning, and after watching the hostess and waitress and OTHER wait staff pass our table countless times, finally asked AGAIN for the glass of water. Even asking the hostess as she passed by once if she could get me a refill of water - instead of doing so, she told someone behind me who took another 4 or 5 minutes to bring another glass.

To top it all off, when the bill came, it was on one ticket, and when we proceeded to take everything to the register, were told by our waitress that SHE was the cashier, as there wasn't a cashier. Then, she proceeded to have to break the bills down into the 5 bills we required. The coup de gras was the 18% gratuity that was added to our bills PER PERSON, not PER amount of bill. THIS WAS AWFUL!!!

Y'all need to get yourselves organized or hire someone from Restaurant Impossible to get you straight.

4 Thank Court B
I apologize for the experience you had while visiting our restaurant. I will be personally looking into your concerns and addressing them with my team. Could you please contact the lodge directly to discuss your bill being overcharged so that we can get that corrected. Please ask for myself or Dana Martin. Again, I apologize for your experience.