“Stay healthy....avoid!”

Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 60 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: As old as the hills . . . The Peaks of Otter have drawn settlers and travelers to the region for more than 8,000 years. The community whose vestiges remain to be explored today had its beginning in 1766 when Thomas Wood arrived from Pennsylvania.The wife of one of Wood’s descendants would open her home as the area’s first lodging for travelers in 1834. By the late 1800s, Peaks of Otter would be home to some 20 families, a school, a church, and a resort hotel. In the mid 1900s, the location was selected for special attention as the National Parks Service developed recreation and service areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Abbott Lake was constructed and the Peaks of Otter Lodge opened in 1964.Today, we invite you to be part of the future of this storied natural and cultural destination as it continues to attract visitors and travelers in the 21st century.
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This restaurant needs complete re-organisation and a chef who can cook.
The staff need to know what they are doing. A re-organisation of the menu would be a start....we were not shown the breakfast menu and were charged for two buffets even though I had only eaten porridge and fruit. I was charged extra for an orange juice. The second morning, as no bread was available, I requested some toast. There was no jam, and the waiter went to a basket obviously only intended for him to access. On the evening of our arrival...a Saturday, we were informed that our only option apart from the seafood buffet which we did not want as we had eaten at lunchtime, was "a burger or a burger".......not even a baked potato or soup or salad....really poor.
On the Sunday evening we had tried to reserve a table, but were peremptorily told that, despite being residents, this was not possible......WHY?! We then had to wait 25 minutes to be seated, and a further three-quarters of an hour before anyone came to take our order. During all this time we had not even been served with a drink, far less bread! When, an hour and a half later, our meal arrived, the green beans were completely inedible, and the potatoes were not as ordered, mashed, but obviously cooked along time ago sauteed ones.
Other people at nearby tables were also experiencing similar problems. One poor elderly man had a raw steak, and could not even begin to attack it!
I suggest the manager goes to other places to see what happens at breakfast in the 21st Century, and that the menu is simplified, and the entire buffet is re-vamped so that the food is hot and hygenic.

3  Thank petite100
Robert P, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

I would like to personally apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with the quality of food at our establishment. This is not the standards that we wish to achieve. We are continuing to improve the quality and the experience at the Peak's of Otter lodge by listening and making the necessary changes to provide a more consistent value. I thank you for taking the time to write about your experience.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were very disappointed with the performance of the restaurant at Peaks of Otter. The quality of the fare presented at breakfast was poor and the buffet was scruffy and unhygienic looking, with spoon handles sitting in the food and waste food left all over the buffet surfaces. Most off putting. IMHO the breakfast was not worth the money and I have had much better "free" breakfasts in the cheaper motels.

As for dinner, this was poor in the extreme. Service was terribly SLOW and the waitresses seemed unable to cope. Much of the food was inedible and gave every impression of having been cooked by amateurs who had not a clue about what they were doing. This opinion was shared, volubly, by guests at adjacent tables.

2  Thank chemistatlarge
Robert P, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

I apologize for the experience you had while dining in our restaurant. Please know that we value our guests opinions and thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I will be personally looking into your concerns and addressing them with my team.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was so pleased when I heard that POK was reopening - it is one of my favorite places. However, I've been visiting off and on for over 20 years, and the food this time was MUCH, MUCH worse than in the past. Some of it was barely edible. The food at Skyland on Skyline Drive wasn't much better, so the problem seems to be with the new concessionaire.

I was particularly disappointed that Saturday breakfast was a buffet - I never eat enough to justify the cost and sitting out is bad for the food. It was particularly bad this time as the food WAS NOT HOT. Only small packages of cereal were available, no muesli (who would have thought one 1.5 oz serving of Raisin Bran had 13 gms of sugar?) The two salad bowls each had one big bunch of grapes but apparently it was for decoration as there was no way to take a smaller portion without pulling grapes off individually. The blueberries were mixed in with the rest of the fruit instead of being in a separate dish. The biscuits were heavy. The eggs were cold and rubbery. The sausage looked so bad I didn't try it, but someone who did said it was horrible. The coffee tasted burnt and had no other flavor.

The BBQ sandwich I had Friday evening in the bar (I passed on the seafood buffet, good thing if they can't keep the food hot), was marginally edible, if tired, but it dyed the roll a virulent orange. I ate entrees the other two nights and while the protein was acceptable (although not at the price charged), the veggies were a disaster. The potatoes had clearly been cooked some time earlier and were cold and gluey. The beans were an odd assortment of green and dead. The cole slaw had too much mayo.

The one day I ate lunch was slightly better, as the steak fries were at least hot. However, the chicken was tough, and the mushrooms ($1.00 extra) were tiny pieces with an equal amount of onion.

The service was also a bit disappointing. A had one youth who never smiled, and a woman who asked if I wanted dessert when I was only half way through my entree.

I have loved staying at POK, but I won't go back unless I hear that the problems have been fixed, or with enough food to last the length of my stay!

3  Thank thursdaysd

I apologize for the experience you had in our dining room. I will be personally looking into your concerns and addressing them with my team. This type of experience is definitely not up to our standards and we sincerely apologize for not providing a wonderful experience for you while you stayed here.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Peaks of Otter Lodge and Restaurant recently re-opened under a new management contract with Delaware North. The lodge’s beautiful setting just off the Blue Ridge Parkway provides for a peaceful respite, either for an overnight stay or for a meal overlooking the scenery that abounds on this scenic byway. The lodge rooms offer basic furnishing and amenities; flat panel televisions were recently installed, but with limited channel offerings. The rooms do not have telephones and internet connectivity has yet to be installed at the facility. My AT&T cell phone was turned off during a recent stay—no cell coverage. The restaurant has a nice menu and my wife and I enjoyed perfectly cooked prime ribs. On the weekend, diners may enjoy a buffet meal or a limited menu that includes sandwiches. Our Friday night seafood buffet was highlighted with a generous serving of Alaskan crab legs as well as boiled shrimp. Otherwise, the seafood offerings were fried. The lodge and restaurant staff was friendly and attentive during our stay.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter. We are always happy to hear when our guests have had such a delightful time such as yours. We hope you will come see us again!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Our family came to eat on Sunday, September 1,2013. I was told on the phone that ordering off a lunch menu was an option. It was not an option. Only buffet available from 12-6. We arrived around 2pm and waited 10 minutes for a table. The salad was decent and ranch dressing good. The chicken was cooked to death. I had never had such bad chicken. Some of the salad items had run out and we were told they were out and would be replaced with other items. The sides we tasted like macaroni and cheese, cooked apples, squash, mashed potatoes, and rice with spinach all lacked flavor. Everything we ate needed seasoning. The desserts available at that time were cookies,cakes and pies that looked store bought.There was a chocolate dessert that looked like a bread pudding. It was alright. The service was fine. The wait staff was friendly and helping each other out with serving us coffee and tea. The management of this restaurant, chef and kitchen staff need to get their act together. I also believe the covers over the food while people are making their plates, makes me wonder if the buffet is at the right temp. for hot food.

2  Thank Susan W

I apologize for the experience you had while visiting the Peaks of Otter. We have recently undergone new management in our Food and Beverage Department and hope you will return to see the changes we have made. I will personally be looking into your concerns and addressing them with my team. Again, I apologize for your experience.