“A foodie's paradise”

Ranked #2 of 28 Restaurants in Winooski
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Each dish was a combination of clear, simple tastes blended artfully to create new taste senations.
Creative menu where each dish pleasantly surprised and pleased the palate. Outstanding on every level. Attentive service. Wonderful, bubbly room, with modern but cozy decor. Every table seemed delighted with their choices. Chose between small plates or a meat with novel side dishes. Unique menu of one of a kind dishes. Superb in every way.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Friends and I dined here a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. The space is small, simple and can get noisy, but the service was very friendly and good and the food was a star. We came here because the restaurant had been listed as a semi-finalist for the 2013 James Beard awards and we thought that was high praise. The food did not disappoint. While we were quite tempted by the fried chicken dinner (it looked fantastic at nearby talbes), we settled on sharing various small plates. Each dish was tasty with interesting, creative flavor combinations and textures. The menu rotates and is a bit unusual, but we were happy and will return!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I took my mother on a 3 day trip to Burlington this past weekend and we decided to "wing it" with dining and just find somewhere that looks fabulous. We were very drawn to Misery Loves Company when we walked by and looked in. An open kitchen with a very focussed team, the diner style counter seating (filled with onlookers delighted with culinary magic before them), a few scattered tables, put in every manageable space. Through the windows, it looked busy, it looked noisy, it looked unpretentious but capable of amazing things...
When we walked in we were quickly greeted by a smiling bearded face and were taken to a table immediately. Our server was by quickly with water and to point out the menu on the wall. He was knowledgable and easily answered any questions. We ordered their version of "Pork & Beans", Ricotta Gnudi and the Hake and shared them all. All very good to excellent! The Ricotta Gnudi, by far was our favorite (we almost ordered a second of this). Next the Pork & Beans....it said shoulder on the menu, it had nice delicate ribbons of delicious pork fat and set on cannelloni & black beans. Highly recommend both of these. Our least favorite....was still really great, the Hake. The most memorable thing about the hake was how delicately it was prepared and was like buttercream in my mouth.
So I looked in the window and made a prediction about how my experience would be if I went inside and dined. I concluded it would be loud and it was. I predicted they would remain busy and they did. And I predicted I would probably enjoy a meal made by the dedicated staff behind the line, who looked like they actually cared about what they were making. All my expectations were met.
I would not hesitate to recommend Misery Loves Company to anyone I know heading up this way. Its the kind of place you find accidentally and end up eating there at least twice while you're in town.
Oh, and by the way, expect to pay for the quality you are receiving. You're not eating at Denny's and shouldn't expect it to be priced as such. This isn't to say they're expensive (two of dined for $75 with tip and we each had cocktails) just be realistic.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We arrived at 5:15 and ordered a fun cocktail followed by a couple of shared small plates. As we finished off a round of amazing food, we ordered another - each one spectacular. All the staff was friendly and answered our questions about the menu and cocktails. A lot of care and thought has gone into this venture and it shows. Congratulations Winooski - such a treat and you don't have to be a foodie to appreciate it - there's something for everyone.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I went to MLC a few days ago. I arrived about 10 minutes before my wife, it was early, around 5:30. I was greeted warmly and since there were tables available, they seated me and I was told a server would be right with me, which was great since I thought I'd start with a beer while I waited. My wife arrived and not a single server had been in the dining room. A couple servers arrived in the dining room and one of them went to a table of a couple that arrived after I arrived, the other one went to a table that had been waiting to order their meal. Finally, I hailed down a server, and was greeted with "do you need some help?" Huh? Based on this start you're wondering why the rating isn't lower, well the reason is two-fold. First, once we started getting service, they servers (we ended up kind of being split between two servers) were wonderful. They were very friendly, extremely knowledgeable of the eclectic menu, and helpful. If they had started that way, this rating would probably be a five because the food is great! Incredible variety and it is fun to order. My wife and I ordered a couple small plates and the larger dinner (we took food home!). The flavors of everything, the meats, seafood, and vegetables were refined and balanced. The presentation was fantastic. We added a dessert, which was equally flavorful and fun. This is a fun place to eat. Not necessarily the atmosphere, which was very comfortable, but the menu and the meal are fun. The only other suggestion is the beer selection. We are in Vermont, with more craft breweries per capita than any other state - they need to go solely Vermont and go from six choices to about 10.