“Yes, Tanzanian food--even ugali -- in Vermont”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mariam's Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mariam's Restaurant
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Description: We are an African Restaurant that specializes in East African foods. We do also offer an American Menu. Our Tanzanian born Chef serves dishes that are sure to entice your taste buds and leave you wanting to come back for more. At Mariam's restaurant we do not only offer a good meal but an extraordinary experience from appertizers such as our delicious Sambusas to our mouth watering main course and topped of with our homemade desserts.We have a full bar and serve South African Wines. Mariam's has a great senior and kids menu. The atmosphere will make you feel at home with the friendly staff and African themed Restaurant with the sounds of African music and Reggea in the back ground.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Yes, Tanzanian food--even ugali -- in Vermont”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

On a referral from our innkeeper, we went to Mariam's. I was curious, having spent some time in East Africa. My curiosity was sated; I had the chicken in a yogurt-peanut butter sauce with a side of a vegetable curry; my only complaint was that it could have been hotter (chili-hot, not temperature) but I can understand why they are careful. The menu is filled with standard American fare along with an impressive array of Tanzanian dishes--all printed in the native language (don't worry the words are spelled with the English alphabet)-giving it a nice feel or in my case, nostalgia. There is a bar; with lovely wines from South Africa! I wished they had some of those nice beers--Tuskers!-- from Africa but no, just the wines were from Africa. The hosts are pleasant and nice; the atmosphere is very casual and comfortable; there was an accordion player the night we were there which my friend did not like but I was fine with.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Nyasa07

ledyard
“What an awesome surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

After almost three hours on the road, it was time for a pitstop. Thanks to the Garmin, I found heaven off that exit, in the form of the Harpoon Brewery and Mariam's :) This restaurant has authentic African spices with layers of flavor in every bite. The entire menu looks incredible, and the dishes we tried were excellent. I will literally drive three hours to go back and start eating my way through the entire menu. What a gem!!!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank william m
Vermont
“African food to love”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

The appetizers sampler is wonderful, sauces nicely seasoned and an oasis of ethnic fare in a small Vermont town.

1 Thank nlanoue
Montreal, Canada
“4 hours away, but I would travel 4 hrs just to eat that yummy food again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

DELICIOUS.
Wonderful cozy atmosphere.
Live music, and a wonderful friendly waitress.
My boyfriend, a friend and I ate out the night before my first ultra marathon. I was very nervous, but this place relaxed me.
I keep telling my family how great it was and how much I want to go back!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank standbyme59
“Surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

What a surprise! It looks like nothing from the outside but this small unpretentious restaurant is absolutely delightful with offerings that are unique and very flavorful.
The soups are incredible, the entrees generous and wonderfully seasoned. There is nowhere like it! We have never been disappointed!

2 Thank Wi77ie2