“Bliss”
Review of Snapdragon Inn

Snapdragon Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Windsor B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I journeyed to the Snapdragon Inn because of its association with Maxwell Perkins, the famous editor who discovered Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald amongst many others. From the website I knew it would be lovely, but what was unexpected was how like a home it still felt. From the moment I arrived at night after dark with the lights on inviting me in, I felt at home there. It was quiet and clean, and my room and its private bathroom were not only beautiful but also personal with little homey touches. The house has been lovingly restored and has a wonderful library with books about and also published by Maxwell Perkins. It was heaven for me to sit and browse through his letters to his daughters while sitting in his house! The walk around the lake provides a wonderful space to think and enjoy nature. They have placed birdhouses all along a large stretch and beehives along the outer fence. I saw countless birds and even the local heron who apparently hadn't been seen in a while. The breakfast was delicious, including fresh local eggs and locally baked bread. And lastly, one of the owners who I had been in touch with before and while there was so friendly and helpful, rounding out what a comfortable and special place this is. I wish I could have stayed longer and I will be looking for excuses to get back as soon as I can!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Snapdragon I, Owner at Snapdragon Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

We really appreciate your kind thoughts, thank you for taking the time to share them with others. We're so glad you spotted the Blue Heron during your relaxing morning walk out at Paradise Park, the wildlife at the park just can't be beat. Another favorite sighting is when the turtles come out to sun themselves on the logs along the banks of the lake. We were so pleased you had time to sit and enjoy the Maxwell Perking library, we've so carefully chosen the books to enhance the guest experience and connect with the incredible history of the home. We can't wait to see you back here soon!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I were treated like we were part of the family. We got there and were greeted with warm smiles. We had the honeymoon suite. My boyfriend was never in Vermont. We walked by the lake which was beautiful. We relaxed for a bit and then my boyfriend wanted to walk to the gazebo. It took about 20 minutes but it was worth the walk. We got to the gazebo and he hands me a note and apologized for waiting so long to do this. At the end of the note he said can I ask you a question? So I said what is the question. He hands me another note and it says "Will you marry me" of course my answer was yes. I couldn't be happier. When we first arrived he was my boyfriend now he is my fiancé. We made the long walk back and I was just so excited. Michelle and everyone knew he was doing this. They greeted us with hugs and congratulations. My mom was so excited and happy for us. We went to dinner at Rumontos in New Hampshire and sat by the water. We had an amazing dinner. He keep texting someone and I was wondering what he was up to. Anyway we got back to the room and he had Michelle set up the room with the lights off, candles on, roses everywhere, rose pedals on the bed, floor and in the bathroom with rose pedals in the bath. There was chocolate and champagne. As for the Snapdragon Inn absolutely amazing. The staff and owners treated us like family. They helped us with everywhere we were trying to go to while in Vermont from Queeche, Woodstock, Hanover which are must see places the gorge is amazing. The room was unbelievable, clean, heated floors in the bathroom, wifi in the room and not forgetting the bed which was so comfortable. The continental breakfast had everything especially the keurig coffee machine. We had an amazing time at the Snapdragon Inn and can't wait to go back there.

1  Thank MJS919
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was treated as a member of the family staying in a big ol' house! The Inn was comfortable, clean and beautiful. Clean sheets, solid shower with heated floors to not make the morning too shocking. Adn the staff that I had the pleasure of meeting, tended to my every need. I will be staying here on any future trips to Windsor VT or nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Beans1965
Reviewed May 28, 2013

What a perfect way to spend a relaxing anniversary weekend! This beautiful inn has effortless charm with a tasty breakfast and friendly staff. It's the perfect way to escape without going into the dark ages. With WiFi, a TV and BluRay player, we were able to relax without being entirely stranded. The inn was a short drive from fun outings like the Harpoon Brewery and the Ben & Jerry's Factory. It was also right next to a beautiful area called Paradise Park and my husband and I enjoyed hiking around the area. I would definitely recommend the Snapdragon for your next relaxing weekend!

1  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I were traveling to Windsor for our friends surprise 40th Birthday. The Snapdragon was the selected accommodation and site of the venue. I can't begin to tell you how beautiful our room was as well as Michelle and her family. The day we arrived all my husband said was I'm really hungry, next thing we know Michelle has some fresh strawberries, farm fresh eggs, water and a bottle of Moscato. We also had the privilege of meeting Michelle's sister-in-law, Chris who filmed the surprise for me on my I-pad and her husband Mike, who drove us to the airport at 4 in the morning. These people are now considered to be my long lost family in Vermont.
We stayed in room 9. I had mentioned to Michelle on the phone when I called to reserve a room that on Sunday was our 12 year anniversary . This room was referenced as the honeymoon suite. The bed was so comfortable, along with the bathrobes and the fresh updated amenities with a historical feel. The conversation was relaxed like speaking to an old friend or family. The breakfast was fresh and healthy including the modern coffee maker, that my husband had to google in order to make me a cup of coffee, he is a very early riser.
I will recommend this to all my friends and family who want to get away and make new friends or visit family to consider visiting. Please know that if you do it will be very memorable and you will be back to visit your long lost friends for years to come. I can't wait to go back, thank you Michelle and family for being you so sweet, along with having a beautiful Inn to match your kindness.

2  Thank Debra D
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I loved every minute of our stay at the Snapdragon Inn! Breakfasts were healthy and delicious, the service was top notch in every respect!

The bed was so comfortable that we slept in -something we never get a chance to do! It's located close to many things to do including the King Arthur Flour Center for all us "Foodies!"

We'll be back!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor with a king size bed and huge soaking tub - very romantic!
1  Thank Pam S
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I purchased a Groupon deal for a 2 night stay plus a spa treatment (50 minute massage) for a little birthday getaway and I/we couldn't be happier. The inn is a beautiful, brick, Georgian building with interesting details inside and out. It was easy to find and in a good location to venture out into the little towns that make up most of Vermont.

My fiance and I arrived a bit later in the day, around dinner time, and were warmly greeted by the innkeeper, Michelle and a fresh tray of cookies! She asked if we had been to the area and if we needed any recommendations for dinner and activities, which we did, and took her up on the Skunk Hollow Tavern (it was excellent.) She also made sure to show us the downstairs - sitting room/library & dining, and let us know what time breakfast was before we went up to our room. Michelle even scrounged up some late night (read, 9-10 pm) places to eat up by Dartmouth from her magical binder.

The room (#2, check the website for pics) itself was absolutely huge and the queen size bed looked small in there! Sadly, the fireplace wasn't operational, but it was pretty. There was radiant heating in the bathroom, a big claw foot tub and a shower, quite large. L’Occitane products made it feel even more luxurious - bath bombs/fizzies included! The bed/bedding was immaculate and was definitely one of the most comfortable I've slept on in my many travels. (Side note - no heavily perfumed laundry soap or fabric softener used, which us allergic people very much appreciate.) TV was nice and wifi worked great - though we didn't use either of them much as we were out and about mostly or lounging in the tub.

When it came time for breakfast, there was an amazing and delicious selection of food - not your typical B&B fare. There was fresh bread, bagels and cream cheese/butter, 3 types of cereal, scones, muffins, variety fruit, yogurt and hard boiled eggs. The coffee and tea station was available for use all throughout the day, so if you needed an afternoon caffeine fix, you were all set.

The spa is actually just a converted room on the 2nd floor, so it was pretty easy to get to :). My massage was well executed and the masseuse was nice to talk to. I'd definitely book another one. The only thing I'd recommend is to maybe put a folding screen or a false wall to separate the spa space from the entry door, it feels a little too open and made it slightly difficult to relax - very minor issue.

I will definitely be back and be recommending this Inn to anyone who wants to hear about it. Michelle and those working with/for her are wonderful, warm people who truly care about their guests and their business. Thank you for a wonderful birthday stay!

Room Tip: Get a room with a tub - it was DIVINE. We were in Room 2, it faced the parking lot/main road/front l...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kate A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
12 mi away
#1 of 3 in Norwich
Jackson House Inn
Jackson House Inn
#1 of 15 in Woodstock

Been to Snapdragon Inn? Share your experiences!