“Not as good as it used to be”

Roadhouse Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 29 Restaurants in Wilmington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This used to be our very favorite restaurant, until it was purchased by the new owners, 5 years ago. While the menu listings have largely stayed the same, the taste and quality have not. Everything from the bread to the desserts are not as good as they used to be. And now, the full course soup - to- dessert meal is no longer. If one wants soup and dessert, an additional $4.00 charge is added. This is no longer the good value and great food that it used to be.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

I'm not sure when we were last here, but my husband and I did dinner here without the kids. Prices are reasonable, food is enjoyable and it's all around an enjoyable restaraunt.

1  Thank Shirley T
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Actually my fish wasn't even edible, I should have known better than to order "fresh" fish so far from an ocean. The Roadhouse features a full 4 course meal so dessert is included, I would say it's a good value if your standards aren't too high. Good service and fun place.

1  Thank Gail H
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I'll preface this review by saying we made reservations for our parents' 50th wedding anniversary three weeks ahead of time for our party of 14.

* Describe the service you experienced: From the minute we walked through the door, we felt like we were intruding. The waitress was unfriendly, not attentive, seemed annoyed, and her black shirt was covered in cat or dog hair, which is completely unsanitary and well, just disgusting. When we inquired about missing items, needing more beverages (which we ended up having to go up to the bar and get ourselves), we received rude and sarcastic responses from our waitress. She told us at the beginning that kids' meals were free, then put them on the bill anyway, and also included on the bill the meal that she never brought out for one of the members of our party.
* Tell us how you liked the food: Awful. And particularly for how over-priced it was. And we had to wait over an hour for it.... at least. We paid $24 for four average sized, over cooked scallops. Anyone who ordered steaks said they were way overcooked. One person in our party never got their meal, and one of the children in our party didn't receive her meal until everyone else was almost done eating.
* Talk about the atmosphere: Country atmosphere, older building, can't really justify asking the prices they're asking in a small town restaurant like that. Especially when your service and food stinks!
* Say what you liked best & least: There was not one good thing I can say about this place. Not one. They had 3 weeks advanced notice about our reservation. This was my parents' 50th wedding anniversary, and they ruined our dinner celebration. I don't know what happened when the bill was being worked out and settled, but during our dinner, no manager came over and asked how things were or apologized or tried to make things better at all. The waitress mentioned that they were having trouble in the kitchen, but that gave her no right to treat us the way she did. She is clearly in the wrong profession.

My parents (in-laws) live in West Dover; they'll never go back there again. They want to charge tourist prices for the out-of-towners, but they certainly aren't interested in providing good service, or good food for that matter.

1  Thank Angela K
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Wish we had got the owners wife as our server. Very nice and kind. Our server horrible!!never asked of we wanted another drink. Thank goodness we ordered from the bar before we sat or we would have been very thirsty! Did not want to pack dessert to go. Gave us an attitude! Seriously...dessert sucked anyway!! Don't order the strawberry shortcake very much what you would expect from a cheap diner . Dont waste your money !!!!